• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Wild Encounters in X&Y

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
This thread is a combination of two past threads that was dead, but with pretty much similar topics, so here we go. If you noticed from watching the X&Y trailer, you'll see that the developers changed the way that you'd meet wild pokemon, in which the pokemon you see goes up in a first-person perspective, like pikachu here; What do you think of this?

wild-pikachu.jpg

Also, would you prefer to be more of a way to encounter wild pokemon than the traditional ways? Through out the main stream pokemon games, there was always new innovative ways to easily find rarer pokemon. For example, in Gen 2, we were able to Headbutt trees in order for certain pokemon to fall out. In Gen 4, we've received Honey, where we can smear the Honey on trees in order to attract pokemon. In Gen 5, different Phenomena were introduced. Phenomena are a game mechanic introduced in Generation V. It is a different means of encountering wild Pokémon, and in some cases items. There are four types of phenomenon: rustling grass, dust clouds, flying Pokémon's shadows, and rippling water. Some Pokémon can only be obtained via this method. Or if you would like to see the list of "innovate" ways to find wild pokemon:

• Headbutt is used to shake trees so that pokemon can fall out.
  • Honey is smeared on trees so that pokemon can become attracted to it.
  • Rustling grass is a phenomenon that only occurs in tall grass. Rustling grass allows the encounter of a wild Pokémon. Audino can be found in any patch of rustling grass. Various other Pokémon, such as the elemental monkeys in Pinwheel Forest and Lostlorn Forest or evolved forms of Pokémon found in non-rustling grass, can be found in rustling grass, but usually at a lower encounter rate than Audino. This phenomenon does not occur in dark grass, but it does in long grass.
  • Dust clouds are a phenomenon that only occur in caves. It may reveal held items, evolutionary stones, or wild Onix, Steelix, Drilbur and Excadrill.
  • Flying Pokémon's shadows are a phenomenon that only occur on the Driftveil Drawbridge and Marvelous Bridge. They may reveal wings or wild Ducklett and Swanna.
  • Rippling water is a phenomenon that only occurs on water tiles. Rippling water allows the encounter of a wild Pokémon when Surfed on or fished in.
  • Some abilities attract pokemon, such as Static, which attracts Electric pokemon.
  • Sweet Scent is also used to find pokemon instantly on a grass, water, or rocky field.
  • The Pokeradar helped us to find wild pokemon in patches of grass.

(I think there's more, but, If I missed some, feel free to say, and I'll add them to the OP). Now, these are just a list of topic questions that are linked to the discussion to think about, but you don't have to answer all of them. Just give your thoughts! So, would you like to see any of these methods return to Gen 6? Would you like to see new methods of finding pokemon? What new methods would there be? Do you think there will be more features? Would you prefer to be more of a way to encounter wild pokemon than the traditional ways? For example, maybe in specific places, you can encounter wild pokemon as you see them physically walking? Or maybe you prefer the traditional ways of random pokemon encounters? What are you hoping for in terms of encounter rates? Should they be higher? Lower? Should there be more of a chance to get certain pokemon, or would you prefer rarities? Do you have any other thoughts?

Last edited:

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I believe Phenomena might return, which, I don't mind seeing! For me, I used to spend minutes trying to find the Phenomena in patches of grass to try and find Audino to beat for experience points! I saw some hopes that maybe, you'd be able to physically encounter pokemon, sort of like in the Pokemon Ranger games, hence why I thought it might be a good idea to sort of bounce ideas off of heads. Maybe a combination of the two, so that, people won't be too worried that it wouldn't be easier to find shiny pokemon?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Mmm. I'm definitely agreeing as far as physically encountering Pokemon....but I'm not sure what the concept you're getting at is! Let's say. a phenomena occurs, right? Would you be able to physically interact with the Pokemon then, or..?

No, I meant just physically encountering pokemon in general, like this here:

screenshot334963502108.jpg

See the Gorebyss? You can maybe encounter it by touching it, or some sort. There can also be some areas where Pokemon can still be hidden in grass, hence why the rarity chance of finding a shiny pokemon can be preserved?

That's what I thought. x__x

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
I don't think physical encounter is good. There would be less wild battles and some lazy-asses like me would just avoid any Pokemon they see. Even if your idea is good but still....

Years
  • Seen Jun 6, 2013
I kind of like the shaking grass which I think will happen because the Audino in the trail or but that's my favorite method, it eliminates the unwanted pokemon. maybe if a rare pokemon is around the area it can just pop out of the grass like drifloon in D/P

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Physical encounters won't happen, at least not this time. Grass was visible in route 3, and in the Pikachu bit grass was on the bottom. Don't want to burst any bubbles, cause I would love it.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Physical encounters are pretty much out of the question. That leaves way too much in control of the player. If you can see the Pokémon, there is now no use of Repels or anything since you can actively avoid everything in the wild, plus now you only have to encounter the things you want. It just takes all randomness out of the game, and that's something that Game Freak definitely doesn't want to see happen.

I really don't think we need any new forms of encounter types. We have so many ways to do it that they leave behind (Headbutt trees, Honey Trees). Instead of making new things that are pretty much just rehashing things we've already had, just bring them back. Old players will recognize them and be glad something is back and the new players won't know any better anyways.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I don't think it's "out of the question" as you might think, but, you know; I just see it as a possibility.

Well, maybe from an affinity based system, perhaps pokemon may be more attracted than others, like.. Zangoose and Seviper, which can have more chances for you to encounter the two, if you have at least one from the other?

A3R0D4C7YL

Dark Type Master
Years
  • WA
  • Seen Jun 18, 2013
Environment

in generation II we got to headbutt trees to get certain pokemon. In generation IV we spread honey on the bark to attract special pokemon. In all other generations we got to smash rocks,cut trees, and even cut grass! Would you like to see something like that again it the sixth gen? Or...would you like to see more or different things like...idk...digging holes in the ground or walls to get pokemon (just a suggestion)? I see a tree pattern on the even genertions...hm.

Guy

just a guy
Years
in generation II we got to headbutt trees to get certain pokemon. In generation IV we spread honey on the bark to attract special pokemon. In all other generations we got to smash rocks,cut trees, and even cut grass! Would you like to see something like that again it the sixth gen? Or...would you like to see more or different things like...idk...digging holes in the ground or walls to get pokemon (just a suggestion)? I see a tree pattern on the even genertions...hm.
Since your thread shares the same idea as this one here, I've merged the two.

I wouldn't say there's a pattern in the even generations, since Gen V did introduce quite a few new ways to encounter wild Pokémon. I do, however, like the idea of digging as a way of finding certain Pokémon though. I could see it used in deserts and caves especially to find certain Ground-type or Rock-type Pokémon in the region. It would also be a cool way of introducing tools for the player to use in the game as well.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
No, I meant just physically encountering pokemon in general, like this here:

screenshot334963502108.jpg

See the Gorebyss? You can maybe encounter it by touching it, or some sort. There can also be some areas where Pokemon can still be hidden in grass, hence why the rarity chance of finding a shiny pokemon can be preserved?

That's what I thought. x__x
Wouldn't really want to touch it but go up really close to it, sure. It'd make it more realistic, but touching it just seems tiring/pointless (especially if it applied to everythingggg). :(

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I don't really like the idea of physically encountering Pokemon. I think this was a nice feature for the hidden grottos in B2/W2, but having every single wild pokemon phisically appear on the map would be weird. I like how the screens looks though when you meet a Pokemon in the wild (at least what we see in the trailer).

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I don't really like the idea of physically encountering Pokemon. I think this was a nice feature for the hidden grottos in B2/W2, but having every single wild pokemon phisically appear on the map would be weird. I like how the screens looks though when you meet a Pokemon in the wild (at least what we see in the trailer).

Maybe they could only appear as part of storyline things, and rather not in general? Because in wild double battles it would definitely be... weird lmao. :(

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Maybe they could only appear as part of storyline things, and rather not in general? Because in wild double battles it would definitely be... weird lmao. :(

Yeah sure I'm fine with storyline Pokemon phisically appearing on the screen, like the legendaries do in all the Gen4 Games. And you are right, i didn't even think about it, but double battles would be even weirder if Pokemon were to phisically appear on the map.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years

Isn't that exactly what we have already? When anything pertains to the storyline the Pokémon has an overworld sprite (and now model with these coming games) that will be used to help tell the story. If we're giving everything in the wild an overworld to encounter, not only does it take away from showing the importance of the overworlds for the story, because who knows when that's going to be coming now? It also shows you where everything is in the wild grass, meaning you can easily avoid everything in your path and just walk the route without a single encounter. Seems silly to me.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Isn't that exactly what we have already? When anything pertains to the storyline the Pokémon has an overworld sprite (and now model with these coming games) that will be used to help tell the story. If we're giving everything in the wild an overworld to encounter, not only does it take away from showing the importance of the overworlds for the story, because who knows when that's going to be coming now? It also shows you where everything is in the wild grass, meaning you can easily avoid everything in your path and just walk the route without a single encounter. Seems silly to me.

I thiiiink that's only looking at the surface of it. Take Pokemon Ranger Guardian Signs: some pokemon there can become agitated, meaning that they can follow you around as you walk, and even attack you if they're angry enough. So, I don't think that having pokemon shown up in plain sight takes away the point of encounters. It can be easier to plan, but, there's many things that they can do with this aspect, imo. Well, that's what I like to think anyway. I'm not really saying that GF will go along with this, I'm just looking at this as a "what if" moment.

Back