• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Digimon or Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BZW Golem

Conspirator~
Years
As for me, It's like this when It comes to better/worse:

Digimon anime > Pokemon anime

Every digimon anime is watchable, I love the first 3 ones (Adventure, Adventure 02, Tamers), I like Frontier.. I didn't watch Savers but I did like the newest one Xros Wars :3
The first pokemon season was ok.. but at some point It became so boring and predictable that I couldn't watch anymore >.>

Digimon games < Pokemon games

I did play some digimon games.. but pokemon are MUCH better. I think there is no need to explain why on a pokemon forum XD

Sirius

Wrong Thread.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 22, 2013
I also liked Digimon more but it didn't seem to last as long. I always liked both as a child but when Digimon kind of stopped coming on TV, I stopped watching it and just moved over to Pokemon.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Although I love both Pokemon and Digimon, Pokemon wins for me. And I'm not just saying that cause this is a Pokemon forum. The franchise has alot more to offer plus I have harder time following the Digimon anime. Digimon games are not really good and I never could get into them as much as the Pokemon games. I grew up with Pokemon both anime and games. I only started watching Digimon when the series was no longer on the air and they had reruns on Jetix. I really like how the Digimon is much deeper though. I wish the Pokemon anime had more of that. It's sort of what made lose interest in the Pokemon anime. There's a lack of meaning in the story and mostly filler and battles.

But overall Pokemon is better.

Years
I prefer the digimon anime I stopped watching the Pokemon anime around the Hoenn arc but I still like the video games.

I like the digimon anime as it has more action. I liked all the seasons though naturally there were some parts I disliked.

The 7th season just ended with only 25 episodes making it the shortest digimon season.
I think it had too many monster of the week episodes but the last few episodes were the most exciting as it showed the return of several past season characters.

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2012
For the shows, I watched Digimon up to the point where the characters actually became digimon with spirits. As for Pokemon, I stoped watching once Jhoto came out... it just got so damn boring. And I hated how Ash raised his pokemon! Why in the WORLD are you going to raise all these pokemon and NEVER let them or even make them evolve? >.>
"Oh yeah, I have had this Bulbasaur and Squirtle through five thousand matches and countless gym battles and tournaments but I keep them in their base forms. Herp derp! :B" It just made me so freaking mad all the time... I love the Pokemon games though. :P ...Never played any of the Digimon games... they just did not appeal to me. :3

Hypermania

The Hyperactive Member
Years
They're both great imo, but Pokemon is more appealing to me :3

I hate what Ash manages to do at the start of every new series though. He gets girls attention by shocking them/their bike. You can practically here him thinking, "Hey, Pikachu! Look, there's a cute girl over their! Quick, shock her/her bike!" *evil grin*

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
Years
It depends. I adore both of them.

Here's how it goes for me..

Digimon anime > Pokemon anime

Pokemon games > Digimon games

I have so much fun watching Digimon, but I can't get as into the games, and it's opposite Pokemon. I love the Pokemon games, but the anime was just.. better when I was younger. I don't hate it now, it's just generally boring in comparison to Digimon. D:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I prefer Pokemon over Digimon because of the battle styles. I also like the fact that Pokemon cannot talk over the fact that Digimon can, so... Pokemon all the way.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I prefer Pokemon over Digimon. I never really got into Digimon like I did with Pokemon. I really like the Pokemon designs and the evolutionary chains they have made; and the battle styles the games and anime have. I wish the games had the same battle style as the anime where its voice sensored, your pokemon has the moves and you say the move you want the Pokemon to do and you can only dodge when it's not scratched out. I think that would be really cool and you would have more control over your Pokemon, not like the game has it where fastest Pokemon always goes first. That would still be the case but it would be more "limited" depending on the moves you do and your strategy. In Digimon you really don't do any of that stuff even in the anime. So I would have to say Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Ah. An interesting topic.

For me, I learned about pokémon long before digimon. The whole school played the TCG and some had the gameboy games. When digimon started popping up in my country, people thought they were imitating pokémon and so digimon never got the popularity it deserved over here. I didn't even watch the anime or touch anything digimon for many years... until some month ago actually!

I love pokémon in the sense that the concept of the games is thrilling and fun. That you can build your own customized team out of hundreds of monsters to choose from, and then battle and gain levels and... it's just so rewarding to play.

The anime sucks though. I've watched it, true, but I stopped when I grew older and even though I tried to watch the Best Wishes season, I grew tired after a while. It's clearly a young kids show without depth and no character development whatsoever.

Digimon... I've always thought their designs were cool but a bit redundant. Until I really watched the first and third seasons of the anime and took a closer look at them. The digimon anime is superb. Sure, especially the first season is a bit cliché, but the whole monsters and chosen thing... it's what people love. Gabumon, Palmon, there's just so many well designed digimon that look interesting and while I used to detest the mechanical parts that they designed the evolutions with (since I was used to pokémon, where such a thing would be unnatural) I now think it's awesome.

Never played a digimon game but might try it on an emulator, if there are any GC or GBA games. I have a hard time believing they will beat the pokémon games though.

So... as far as designs go, I think many digimon look better than many pokémon, though the opposite is sometimes true as well.

As for the anime, digimon is the clear winner, having the characters grow older and have real feelings and thoughts... compared to the plastic pokémon characters. Also, people get hurt in the digimon anime. WHOA, PEOPLE CAN GET HURT that would never happen in pokémon. Only in the manga.

Which is a completely different thing. If we would bring in Pokémon Special/Adventures into this, pokémon would win by a landslide. Had that been the anime, it would have matched the digimon anime. Sadly, that's not the reality.

Conclusion - I HAVE NO IDEA what I like best. But I guess I have to say pokémon... though the concept of digimon introduced in Tamers is really interesting... ugh. It's a draw. Though I don't really want to call it a draw either. Let's just say that I can't decide xD

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
Years
I prefer the digimon anime I stopped watching the Pokemon anime around the Hoenn arc but I still like the video games.

I like the digimon anime as it has more action. I liked all the seasons though naturally there were some parts I disliked.

The 7th season just ended with only 25 episodes making it the shortest digimon season.
I think it had too many monster of the week episodes but the last few episodes were the most exciting as it showed the return of several past season characters.

That "7th" Series, is still technically 6. It's official.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
I am more of a Pokemon guy. Used to like Digimon during the first few seasons [Agumon, Gabumon, Veemon, Armadillomon] anything later than that. Nah.

Turn-it

Coordinator/Elite Trainer
Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2012
at first it was pokemon....then I got addicted to digimon for awhile but I just stopped watching it and I never played any of the games I'm thinking maybe that's what got me back into pokmeon.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
I tried to think of this more often but I find that both are just too different to be compared like that. It really depends what you are looking for and what you like because they are both great series imo. I grew up with Pokémon but I loved watching Digimon because it was more..thrilling? Digimon centers way more on action and monsters and twists, and Pokémon seems to be more on the characters and their adventure and seems more steady than Digimon.

The designs are also just completely different, even while the base concept might be the same, Pokémon tends to stick to the laws of nature while Digimon doesn't - Pokémon seem more organic and Digimon seem more mechanic (which I both like). And like I said before, Digimon is more thrilling/scary (considering it's for kids) which I personally loved as a kid, and Pokémon is quite mild but has a solid/steady plot because of that (I'm talking first season for both btw, maybe second for Pokémon too but I never watched the second season of Digimon though I plan to. And I don't like the seasons that come after that for either, so yeah.) Basically I love both and I can't really choose because they are both very different. Objectively I'd probably say that the Digimon anime is better overall, but Pokémon wins on the game part.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I tried to think of this more often but I find that both are just too different to be compared like that. It really depends what you are looking for and what you like because they are both great series imo. I grew up with Pokémon but I loved watching Digimon because it was more..thrilling? Digimon centers way more on action and monsters and twists, and Pokémon seems to be more on the characters and their adventure and seems more steady than Digimon.

The designs are also just completely different, even while the base concept might be the same, Pokémon tends to stick to the laws of nature while Digimon doesn't - Pokémon seem more organic and Digimon seem more mechanic (which I both like). And like I said before, Digimon is more thrilling/scary (considering it's for kids) which I personally loved as a kid, and Pokémon is quite mild but has a solid/steady plot because of that (I'm talking first season for both btw, maybe second for Pokémon too but I never watched the second season of Digimon though I plan to. And I don't like the seasons that come after that for either, so yeah.) Basically I love both and I can't really choose because they are both very different. Objectively I'd probably say that the Digimon anime is better overall, but Pokémon wins on the game part.

Building off this:

One of the things that made Digimon anime much more interesting than Pokémon was - if they lost, they would either die, or things get a hell of a lot harder. In Pokémon they just dust themselves off and come back the next episode to try again. There are no repurcussions.

Overall I agree with the majority, Digmon anime > Pokémon anime, Pokémon games > Digimon games.

blackmorale

風の行方
Years
I love both, really. But I'll have to vote on Pokemon, probably since I really really enjoy playing the games and the fact that I have more exposure to this as compared to Digimon.

Years
I definitely choose Pokemon over Digimon. Why? Because Digimons are odd imo. They evolved and become rookie again when tired. I just don't like the way it is.
Pokemon have fixed evolution system and some are unique. They can be bred and produce eggs not using eggs to evolve.

So Pokemons better, I think.

Years
For me it is definitely Pokemon... I just like the games and anime better..

I tried a Digimon game once on ps1 and it was really complicated to evolve there XP... You first get a baby digimon and you need to train and tread it right.. If you lose battle or don't tread it right or you trained it poorly, it will turn to some kind of digimon that looks like poo. Which only makes one damage -_-.. And the worst is, if you lose a battle, your digimon will DIE and you have to do the same process again XD

Pokemon games are just better made since from the beginning... well for me. And it was much more fun.

Guy

just a guy
Years
It really depends. If you're talking about the anime, then I personally feel Digimon definitely wins that department. I recently finished watching Seasons 1 - 3 of Digimon and comparing the two shows, Digimon as an anime is a lot better executed. You really get to see the growth and development of the characters in Digimon and the strength in bonds between human and Digimon alike. When you look at the Pokémon anime today, it's almost as if you were watching it from when it first aired. Ash is still on a journey of collecting eight badges from a region and he's still trying to become a Pokémon Champion, which has no definite meaning to the term. Plus, every generation Ash and Pikachu get reset so it's basically starting the same recycled story over and over again. Although, they must be doing something right, because I'm still watching it today.

With Digimon, you start at Point A and you make it to Point Z by the end, with a whole lot of stuff happening in between that actually runs coherent with each other. Not to mention, the story of the Digimon anime gets pretty deep at times and really digs into a character, their emotions, their future and goals in a realistic point of view in a way that Pokémon has never done.

However, if you were to compare the games, then Pokémon wins. Just by sheer statistics in sales and popularity, you can tell the Pokémon games fare a lot better than Digimon. I have never actually played any Digimon video games, but I've always found myself enjoying playing Pokémon. At the age of nineteen going on twenty, I still enjoy playing the Pokémon games. Albeit, that doesn't mean it comes with times when I get rather bored of them.

Now, comparing the mechanics of each franchise, I actually prefer Digimon's take. Pokémon has a very simple way of doing things, and while it makes things easier, I don't mind it getting complex at times. However, I will start off by saying I like the aspect of a human and a Digimon being partners rather than the human being the actual Digimon. I'll admit, I've always liked the idea of having a partner Digimon for myself. I mean, who wouldn't? Unlike Pokémon, they can actually talk, so you can really connect and bond with it like a true best friend.

Other than that though, I like the fact that there's the Real World and the Digital World. It gives dimensions to this universe and it also gives a really appealing story when either of both worlds can affect the other.

I also like that a Digimon can revert back to its Rookie form and not have to stay in its evolved forms. But besides that, I like that Digimon, and this may or may not come off as morbid, can die yet still be reborn by having their digital data reconfigured. Again, this is a sign of just how much deeper Digimon can go than Pokémon.

On top of that though, Digivices are just plain cool!

Again, it just really depends. If we're talking anime then Digimon wins, but if we're talking about the games, then Pokémon is it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back