• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Prototype

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
:O It's Cartmic!

@Danny-E 33, Nice to see someone taking an interest in Red hacking.

Thank you! :D
Unfortunately, there aren't enough of us left who were around when Pokemon first came out and who just got hooked on the first 2 gens...

I am very interested in your opinion. I know I don't have a whooole lot to show off yet, but what do you think of the ideas so far? Completing the Pokedex via trade-evolution Pokemon evolving at a certain level? And what critisism do you have for my Town Map?

And is it alright if I message you here or on Skeetendo with some complicated questions that I've been told you may be able to help me with?(: I just have a couple road blocks that I can't seem to find annyy documentation on. Any of your expertise is greatly appreciated! :)

Cartmic

Hi there, it's been awhile.
Years
:O It's Cartmic!

Thank you! :D
Unfortunately, there aren't enough of us left who were around when Pokemon first came out and who just got hooked on the first 2 gens...

Yeah the first English Red version was released in 1998 in the states, and 1999 over here in the UK some of the people on this forum weren't even born then!

I am very interested in your opinion. I know I don't have a whooole lot to show off yet, but what do you think of the ideas so far? Completing the Pokedex via trade-evolution Pokemon evolving at a certain level? And what critisism do you have for my Town Map?

Thanks, I'm honoured.

I think it sounds good.

Is the land a re-envisioned Kanto? To make connection editing a little easier on you I would consider making the changes made in this edited version:

attachment.php

And is it alright if I message you here or on Skeetendo with some complicated questions that I've been told you may be able to help me with?(: I just have a couple road blocks that I can't seem to find annyy documentation on. Any of your expertise is greatly appreciated! :)
[/quote]

Yeah go ahead.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Is the land a re-envisioned Kanto? To make connection editing a little easier on you I would consider making the changes made in this edited version:

attachment.php
Yes, its just a new vision of Kanto. I don't want it to be so fake and foreign, but I still want it to be new and exciting.

And those changes look good. I'll probably do something like that for the top and bottom change you made. But for the middle change, I like having a dock in the water. And it wouldn't change the connection data. Either way, Route 19 will have a west connection with Sea Route 20 and vise versa. (the dock is part of the sea route, not the land route) Thanks for your feed back! :) I haven't been getting much lately, as this is a gen 1 hack, not an overrated, gen 3 "tool hack" like most everything else :P
And I'm just about to update a couple screenshots(:

EDIT: Done. Updated the Title Screen with the GSC Hero sprite to match the overworld sprite. However, I edited the sprite alot. I also updated the Town Map with some suggestions made by Cartmic (thank you very much :)) And finally, I replaced the two screenshots of the text/border graphics with just one screenshot of the new battle HUD made to mimic the GSC battle screen as best as possible, which shows everything the old screenshots did and more. As you can see, there's the Gold sprite for Pidgey, and hopefully soon I'll update it with the backsprite for Bulbasaur.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2021
(I was avoiding this til I saw your Pidgey sprite)

Feeling lazy right now, so I'm gonna start with the most basic of all questions:

Are there gonna be any new scripts?

(a more constructive post will follow when I feel better)

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Are there gonna be any new scripts?
I do have a couple basic scripts that will need to be changed/added, but probably nothing tooo major. I haven't given scripting a try yet, but I know I will need to learn to make the few script edits. And I have a few people in mind who I'm sure will help me out with this(:
(I was avoiding this til I saw your Pidgey sprite)
So are you saying you liked the look of the Gold sprite for Pidgey in Red and that's what motivated you to post here? Well thank you very much :)
(a more constructive post will follow when I feel better)
I look forward to it! And I hope you feel better fast! :)

Also, I've replaced the Titlescreen once again. This time with a devamped Gold "POKéMON" logo. I think it turned out great and looks way better than the original RB logo. Next I will look into tweaking these palettes :)
I'm also pleased to point out that no original graphics remain on the Titlescreen :D they are now all custom graphics! :) Enjoy.

Also please leave any feedback you can think of. Whether its about the storyline, the Town Map, Titlescreen, Gold battle screen graphics, or anything else! All input is welcome and highly appreciated!

~Danny-E 33

EDIT: Alright, Titlescreen updated yet again with identical palettes from Gold for the Pokemon logo, and changed "Prototype" from the default red palette to a purple color. However, im leaving the sprites' palette the same for now.

EDIT2: Also, I should probably mention: I decided against using the name "Pokémod". Originally, "Pokémod" was only used as a place holder until I came up with a better name. When I decided on "Prototype" I never bothered taking "Pokémod" out and I just kinda went with it. But after thinking about it long enough, I have decide I will stick with the original name of "Pokémon" :)
(Thanks to DrFuji for changing the thread title :))

Last edited:

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Oh my.
I don't come on here that often but this looks amazing.
There aren't too many Gen. 1 hacks out there that are in evident progress.
I'd love to play the beta as soon as it comes out.
I also love the name, it's so original.
Thank you Thank you and Thank you! :P
Since I'm redoing the Town Map, it's gonna take alotta connection editing before the maps even work right. And theeen it'll be worth my while to work on the actual mapping. It'll probably be a while still before the first Beta, but the only things left on my todo list that I planned for the first Beta: Finish battle sprites, rewrite (at least a good portion of) the connection data, do mapping and story (and other smaller edits like trainer parties and mart items etc.) upto two badges. So it's not exactly "soon" yet, but it'll come with time :)

One thing I'd like to suggest though:
Change the player sprite?
It's been played a lot in GSC and I'm not a huge fan of that sprite.
Just a personal opinion :-)
When I first stared out, I debated a long time about keeping the Red hero sprite or switching to the Gold hero sprite. I decided on Gold's hero mostly because I planned on inserting new backsprites for all the Pokemon, and I didn't want the hero to look out of place with a pixelated backsprite. Since then, I've considered using the backsprite used for Brown, although now I forget who is credited for that sprite.. Anyway, the problem I have with that idea is that there is no nice frontsprite for Red's hero. Even though the original is not pixelated, I still really don't like it. I much prefer the edit I made myself based off of the Crystal and Gold hero. If someone could provide me with a nice, Red hero styled frontsprite I would definately consider it, but I doubt I will put in the time for that when there are much more important things to work on :)

Thanks alot for you feedback! Be sure to drop by often! :)
~Danny-E 33

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2021
1: Are you gonna put Pokemon from other generations(or even Fakemon) like Koolboyman did?

Considering this is Red, you have a lot of space!

2: Is Mew gonna be in this?

3: I really wanna see if you can do something unique with the entire Ghost creepy-pasta from the Lavender Town!XD

For example, Koolboyman mixed it up qith Missingno!

3: And now here's one thing which I don't know if it's possible since I don't know anything about rom hacking!XD

Is it possible to add a 2nd region, let's say, for example, Johto?

Cartmic

Hi there, it's been awhile.
Years
First of all sorry to high-jack these questions Danny-E 33.

1: Are you gonna put Pokemon from other generations(or even Fakemon) like Koolboyman did?

Are you going to wear clothes like Koolboyman man did? Are you going to live on the west coast like Koolboyman did?

No disrespect to Koolboyman, he's a real gem of a ROM hacker, a very dedicated one at that, who I respect very highly, but when I see questions like this I just think why doesn't the question asker just go right a ahead an replay brown, it's like every red hack has to feature the same features as brown time after time, it really bugs me when I'm asked this when I post a Pokemon Violet thread, I don't know about you but surely that gets a little uninspiring after awhile like the countless cover-versions of Unchained Melody. Isn't it time people just waited in expectation to see if the other red hacks have something new to offer?

3: And now here's one thing which I don't know if it's possible since I don't know anything about rom hacking!XD

If I remember correctly there are 29 or so unused map spaces available, so if the slots are used wisely it is possible.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2021
First of all sorry to high-jack these questions Danny-E 33.

Are you going to wear clothes like Koolboyman man did? Are you going to live on the east coast like Koolboyman did?

No disrespect to Koolboyman, he's a real gem of a ROM hacker, a very dedicated one at that, who I respect very highly, but when I see questions like this I just think why doesn't the question asker just go right a ahead an replay brown, it's like every red hack has to feature the same features as brown time after time, it really bugs me when I'm asked this when I post a Pokemon Violet thread, I don't know about you but surely that gets a little uninspiring after awhile like the countless cover-versions of Unchained Melody. Isn't it time people just waited in expectation to see if the other red hacks have something new to offer?

Eeehhhmm....wow...it seems like I have to take a lexotanil before I ever try to ask something again!

Sorry, Sir, I didn't mean to offend anyone, the only reason I even mentioned Koolboyman is because Pokemon Brown is pretty much the only Generation 1 hack I saw having Pokemon from other generations!

And....yeah, that's pretty much it!

Cheers!

Spoiler:

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday

Considering this is Red, you have a lot of space!
No, I'm not interested in adding any Pokemon beyond Gen1. And the fact that there is lots of free space doesn't really mean anything, since the size of any rom can easily be doubled :P
2: Is Mew gonna be in this?
Good question. Yes it definitely will be, I just haven't decided exactly how I'm going to include it yet, so I haven't talked about it yet.
3: I really wanna see if you can do something unique with the entire Ghost creepy-pasta from the Lavender Town!XD

For example, Koolboyman mixed it up qith Missingno!
I've thought a little bit about this, but I don't have anything in mind in particular. I'll keep thinking :)

Hmm, this sounds interesting. Like Cartmic said, there are plenty of empty map id's so I imagine it would be possible. However I don't think those id's could be associated with the Town Map unless an additional Town Map key item was implemented to be the Town Map of a new region. I would have to get alot better at asm to do this I *imagine*. But I like the sound of that. If I did this, I wouldn't make it like koolboyman did. He included only one town from Johto and had it a blocked off section on the Town Map. I would try to have a few towns and things, and have its own Town Map and it would be kinda like a mini region. This wouldn't be very high priority, but I'll keep this in mind :)

EDIT: Also, the comments made by kkj1116 and !Max! are exactly the kind of replies I'm looking for:
SPECIFIC questions for me to better explain my hack
POSITIVE feeback to let me know what you really like about this hack
CONSTRUCTIVE critisism to let me know what you really don't like about this hack AND what you suggest as a better solution instead
So thank you, !Max! and kkj1116, very much! :) Go ahead and post anything else you want to know :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2020
A cool idea to introducing Mew in your(pretty cool) hack, would be to add a new room in Cinnabar Lab and have Mew appear in it(as a sprite, like all legendaries), or you could keep the room unaccessible until you beat the Elite Four? Just an idea i thought would be neat.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Hmm. The abandoned Pokemon Mansion... I like it! I was considering Rock Tunnel or Mt. Moon but I really didn't want to have to resort to one of those two. I know I could add a new Pokemon encounter like the other legendaries that appears as a sprite. I remember reading up on it somewhere, I'd just have to find that again and refresh my memory. Well, it's settled then! :D Thanks alot! That's a great idea :)

However, I'm sure I would need to learn quite a bit more asm to make it so that Mew wouldn't appear until the Elite Four was beaten. But if I don't ever get that figured out, it won't be the end of the world :P

EDIT: Oh! I just thought of a really good idea to mix it up with the Ghost and Pokemon Tower!! It's not a big edit but I think it's a really good idea! Buuut I'm gonna keep it a secret for now ;) and Lavender Town Probably won't be included until the second Beta so I guess you'll just have to wait! ;)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2020
Oh wow, how did i mix up Cinnabar Lab and Pokemon Mansion? haha. If i remember correctly, Cinnabar Lab is where you defossilize fossil Pokemon. Glad I could help!

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Oh, haha I didn't even realize you actually said the lab, I just assumed you were talking about the mansion :P either way, I think the Mansion is a great idea :)

Also, I've said before that all the Red sprites are being replaced with the sprites from GSC, but there are a few exceptions. Like the sprites for Raticate, Zubat, Geodude, Gastly, Haunter, and Gengar are from Yellow, and Hitmonlee is using the frontsprite from the japanese Red and Green versions. These are just personal preferences.

EDIT: Ah, there's also the Yellow frontsprite for Scyther. I knew there was one I was forgetting :P

Last edited:

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
So I've been thinking... And as I've stated in a previous post, I made it so that you are not limited to the number of each Pokemon you can catch, with the exception of the legendary birds and mews. And, originally, I said that all the other one-time-only Pokemon (or two in Snorlax's case :P ) will not be limited to one time only, including the fossilized Pokemon. But I'm considering making the fossilized Pokemon one-time-only again, so that you must get the fossils and take them to Cinnabar. I will change it, however, so that you do not have to decide between the Helix Fossil and the Dome Fossil. This way, you can still get all of the fossilized Pokemon and complete the Pokedex, but you cannot find these Pokemon in the wild and they are still considered extinct. I think this sounds better to the story, and I felt like the fossils became sort of useless so this helps give the lab on Cinnabar Island more of a purpose. And really, how many of you wanted to catch a buncha Omanyte anyway?? XD
How does this sound to everybody?

Years
  • Seen Jul 3, 2012
I like the sound of that. Really, the one-timers were only limited by if you could get a Ditto and if the Daycare was in the version you were playing.

On that note, are you going to include a breeding center? Thinking about it, it sounds really difficult. But you could probably cannibalize GSC for most of it!

But speaking of one-timers, I'd really like a way to re-obtain things like PP Ups, Nuggets, Max Elixers, etc. because from a collector's perspective, it gives you something to do after you've beaten all the dungeons and battles, when you can do something like go to the end of Cerulean Cave and get another Rare Candy :3

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
I like the sound of that.
Good :) I thought it sounded like a better plan.
On that note, are you going to include a breeding center? Thinking about it, it sounds really difficult. But you could probably cannibalize GSC for most of it!
Eh, I don't think I'm gonna worry about something like that. At least for now, I'm gonna get the essentials done. :)
But speaking of one-timers, I'd really like a way to re-obtain things like PP Ups, Nuggets, Max Elixers, etc. because from a collector's perspective, it gives you something to do after you've beaten all the dungeons and battles, when you can do something like go to the end of Cerulean Cave and get another Rare Candy :3
Haha, well actually I have associated prices with these items which you can usually only sell for zero PokeDollars. And things like PP Ups, Rare Candies, Eithers, Elixers (and probably more) can now be bought in the (Saffron!) Department Store. Of course, Nuggets haven't been added to stores, since their only purpose is to be sold for money :P but now that you suggest it, perhaps I will add more of them to be found in the wild :)

EDIT: With lots of help from IIMarckus, I now have a unique palette for every Pokemon that make the GSC sprites look much more natural! :D Here's the new and improved Bulbasaur family, Charmander family, and Squirtle family!
palettesh.png

What do you think!?(: Soon, this palette enhancement will be finish for every Pokemon! :)

Thanks for everything, IIMarckus. :)

Last edited:

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Probably... if he was extremely skilled that is. Most of the daycare code is script and so in RBY, he would have to do most of the work from scratch. It's not really worth spending your time with; more astounding things than this could be done with experience and similar amount of hard work.

With lots of help from IIMarckus, I now have a unique palette for every Pokemon that make the GSC sprites look much more natural! :D Here's the new and improved Bulbasaur family!
prototypepalettes.png

What do you think!?(: Soon, this palette enhancement will be finish for every Pokemon! :)
I've to say that I really LIKE it!
Looks way better than with the old palettes. Makes me really want to read what he actually wrote there to make this possible. If I didn't know better, I'd say those sprites are in "color".

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Probably... if he was extremely skilled that is. Most of the daycare code is script and so in RBY, he would have to do most of the work from scratch. It's not really worth spending your time with; more astounding things than this could be done with experience and similar amount of hard work.
Right. I feel the same way.
I've to say that I really LIKE it!
Looks way better than with the old palettes.
Thank you! :) that means alot. And I'm quite proud of this.(:
Makes me really want to read what he actually wrote there to make this possible.
I'm sure it's not as complex as you think it is :P i just had to find the pointer to the palette data that starts at 0x72660 and repoint it where there is plenty of room, and IIMarckus clerified alot with the structure of all this data and he gave me the location of a table that associates each Pokemon with one of 10 original palettes to choose from. But once you repoint the palette data, you can extend the palette data with all the new palettes that you need and then associate each Pokemon with new palette id's that weren't originally useable. (and by unuseable I mean that those id's would load unrelated data that is not intended to be used as a palette)
If I didn't know better, I'd say those sprites are in "color".
Haha, right. It really makes me wonder the differences between a GB and a GBC game. I know there are differences in the capabilites in the systems, and that original GameBoys were not capable of all the same colors, but the roms themselves don't appear to be all that different... :P

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Does anyone else really hate the original Machop, Machoke, and Machamp palettes from GSC?
i83NaNG.png

I do(:
Here's also my recolors of the Bulbasaur family and Ditto.

Also, since I'm using a couple sprites from Yellow and one from Green, those sprites all had to be recolored to fit with all the GSC sprites. For some, it was just editing the colors that are used. For others, it was actually changing the image. Zubat and Hitmonlee took the most revising. Here they are!
trwfvEF.png

What do you think?

Last edited:
Back