• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen "Need more water types!"

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
Hmm, this whole water types thing i think, is mainly caused by the lack of good rods at the beginning of the game. This requires the player to either catch a water pokemon on land or use a magikarp/tentacool hm slave when surfing is needed. Anyway, placing a good rod earlier in the game, (maybe around the 3rd gym?) you would never be in any need of water pokemon.

I never fish for Pokemon... but I wouldn't mind being given the rod earlier into the game.

I think it doesn't really matter about how you get Pokemon, just as long as the Pokemon are actually there. I think the lack of Water types in B/W is completely independent of the lack of a rod. If they were to remove Seismitoad from the Grass, and make it a fishing-only Pokemon instead (and the only Pokemon available by fishing) that changes nothing. It's all about Pokemon being accessible, not in which ways Pokemon are accessible.

Just my opinion.

piefara

human
Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2013
We need more Fire, Electric, Ice, and Ghost types and less Grass, Water, and Normal types.
THANK YOU way to many grass water and far far far to many normals NORMALS ;( maybe more ghost aswell
just having normal on the first rout is annoying aswell in my romhack just for something different dragon types appear on route 1

to make people happy ice-poison electric-fire (over due) steel-ghost (they should do to skarmory what they did whith the nincada evolution line...but better) oh and to be wierd a bug-dragon!

Last edited:

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I would want more water-type Pokemon! It would be much more convenient if those water-types lived quite early on in the grass instead of later on in the water, just like Poliwag at night in the GSC games. Also, more fire-types, electric-types, ghost-types and ice-types would be great. (Y)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I would want more water-type Pokemon! It would be much more convenient if those water-types lived quite early on in the grass instead of later on in the water, just like Poliwag at night in the GSC games. Also, more fire-types, electric-types, ghost-types and ice-types would be great. (Y)

Oh ya I'd be okay with more water types if they're found in the grass and are USEFUL, rather than having like 50 thousand in the water to catch. Actually I wanna see more electric/fire types found in the grass, kinda like in Johto tigers. :3

Kiriyuuki Kasuna

<b><i><font color="#979C1F">Insert Purpose of Mean
Years
Hmm this had me thinking the whole time that in regards to the mentioned types needed (more of that is*), it made me think that there should be more electric types with good Def and SpD stats, because I literally find that with each new generation, Electric types are always the pokemon with the worse Defence and SpD stats, which make them kind of easy to over throw (by using a pokemon with good Attack and SpA stats). I'd also like for there to be more better grass/bug type pokemon other than the starter in the beginning of the game that is easy to acquire early on. And lastly there should be more of Psychic and Dark type pokemon likewise is also easy to acquire early in the game, cause they were really hard to come by in the older games (Like red and FireRed-Gold and HG*). So overall I want more Electric(WITH GOOD SpD and Def**), Grass/Bug, Dark, and Psychic types in Generation 6.

Last edited:

Pryze

Straight chillin
Years
I can do without Fire-types, never was too fond of them. I do want to see more Fighting-types, Flying/Fighting and Ice/Fighting mostly.

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
Hmm this had me thinking the whole time that in regards to the mentioned types needed (more of that is*), it made me think that there should be more electric types with good Def and SpD stats, because I literally find that with each new generation, Electric types are always the pokemon with the worse Defence and SpD stats, which make them kind of easy to over throw (by using a pokemon with good Attack and SpA stats). I'd also like for there to be more better grass/bug type pokemon other than the starter in the beginning of the game that is easy to acquire early on. And lastly there should be more of Psychic and Dark type pokemon likewise is also easy to acquire early in the game, cause they were really hard to come by in the older games (Like red and FireRed-Gold and HG*). So overall I want more Electric(WITH GOOD SpD and Def**), Grass/Bug, Dark, and Psychic types in Generation 6.

You know, it's actually quite interesting that so few Electric types are defensively built. As a type it has so much defensive potential (three resistances, only one weakness - albeit a common one) that you'd think there'd be a few walls. GameFreak's insistance on making Electric types sweepers of varying quality is unfortunate.

As for the topic on hand though, I'm going to go with the standard Poison/Dark/Ghost wish. All types that are generally quite scarce, even moreso when you count only the usable pokémon of those types. Water is my favourite type but even I want less of them.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
We don't need much more Water-types, we have enough of those. But what we do need are more Ghost, Dark Steel, and Dragon types. I especially would like to see more Dark types cause they're my favorite type. Glad Gen V introduced so many Dark-types cause alot of them are strong. And according to this chart, there's a strong lack of Ghost, Steel , Dark, and Dragon-types and I want this Gen to be the one to fix that.
Spoiler:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Fire is one of the quintessential types, but it's very underrepresented in the games, which is a contradiction.

Not counting the starters...

2nd gen introduced Houndour, *gasp* Slugma, Entei and Ho-Oh.

3rd gen introduced Numel and Torkoal, two very underwhelming Pokémon.

4th gen introduced Magmortar (which was an evo of an old one) and Heatran.

It was not until 5th gen that Gamefreak gave Fire-type fans some love. Darmanitan (as ugly as it looks) and Chandelure are quite powerful, and Simisear and Heatmor are decent. And of course Reshiram, but that's an uber.

So I think, to balance the types out, they need more Fire, less Grass and much less Water, although an European setting is more appealing to Ice-types than Fire (unless you count countries like Italy with its volcanoes).

As for Ghost-types, there a few of them yes, but pretty much all of them are powerful. None of the Unova ones are useless. It's supposed to be a rare type, like Dragon. Whereas Water has the most Pokémon, but a good amount of them suck (I'm looking at you, Luvdisc, Finneon and Goldeen).

Guy

just a guy
Years
It was not until 5th gen that Gamefreak gave Fire-type fans some love. Darmanitan (as ugly as it looks) and Chandelure are quite powerful, and Simisear and Heatmor are decent. And of course Reshiram, but that's an uber.

So I think, to balance the types out, they need more Fire, less Grass and much less Water, although an European setting is more appealing to Ice-types than Fire (unless you count countries like Italy with its volcanoes).

As for Ghost-types, there a few of them yes, but pretty much all of them are powerful. None of the Unova ones are useless. It's supposed to be a rare type, like Dragon. Whereas Water has the most Pokémon, but a good amount of them suck (I'm looking at you, Luvdisc, Finneon and Goldeen).
You forgot to mention Volcarona. It's okay though, because I remembered it for you. :p

The large population of Water-types makes sense from a realistic point of view. The earth is covered by 70% of water and there are thousands if not millions of different types of aquatic creatures that exist today, many of which have yet to be discovered. And similar to Pokémon, some of them are pathetic while others are much more feared of or respected.

That being said, I do agree with you. I'd like to see more Fire-types and Ice-types around. More so Ice-types because they're probably my favorite kind after Dark-types.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
Ghost types being short in numbers makes sense to me. All you have to do is read the pokedex entries to realize how rare they actually are.

Years
I'd love to see better dark types. I love Umbreon, but the move's that are available need to be better and we just need better dark types in general.

Nice Ice types would be good as well, and maybe better grass starters cause Snivy was a pain...

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
You forgot to mention Volcarona. It's okay though, because I remembered it for you. :p

The large population of Water-types makes sense from a realistic point of view. The earth is covered by 70% of water and there are thousands if not millions of different types of aquatic creatures that exist today, many of which have yet to be discovered. And similar to Pokémon, some of them are pathetic while others are much more feared of or respected.

That being said, I do agree with you. I'd like to see more Fire-types and Ice-types around. More so Ice-types because they're probably my favorite kind after Dark-types.

Oh damn, forgot about that big moth. Cool typing, too. There is also Victini but it's only an event Pokémon so it doesn't count.

Gamefreak lost a good opportunity to introduce Ice-types in 4th gen. I mean, a whole route covered in snow, and the only new Pokémon you can get there is Snover. New as in, completely new and not an evo of something existent (like Weavile, Froslass and Mamoswine were).

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years

Bannette, Sableye, Spiritomb, and Drifblim aren't really powerful due to their poor stats and shallow movepools (on Spiritomb's case).

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Bannette, Sableye, Spiritomb, and Drifblim aren't really powerful due to their poor stats and shallow movepools (on Spiritomb's case).

The only really bad one is Banette, because it's slow and can't use its Attack stat well. Sableye gets Prankster from DW, so it's at least usable in a support role. Spiritomb has usable stats (but not too good, what did you expect from a Pokémon without weaknesses anyway?), and Drifblim has a great movepool. Most of the other Ghost Pokémon are in the higher tiers. You seriously can't argue Gengar, Mismagius, Dusclops with Eviolite, Dusknoir, Froslass, Giratina, Cofagrigus, Golurk, Jellicent and Chandelure, which are the other Ghost-types not mentioned before, are bad Pokémon. Not all are in OU for example, but they all have great stats and movepools.

Not mentioning Shedinja because, well, it's a joke, whichever type it was. And Rotom doesn't count because most players use its other Formes anyway.

Also, because they're immune to Normal and Fighting-type moves, there's always a use for Ghost Pokémon.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I think less bug and grass types, but make them more powerful. I would really love to see more grass types in competitive play. I'm the only person I've met that uses a grass type and that's Serperior (and yes, he does very well).

I would also like to see more ghosts and better poison types. I just feel like they have too little pokemon.

Years
I don't really care what type they'll add if they just add some more flying/not normal hyBIRDS it made me sick after Swellow, a Fire/Flying or even the first Fight/Flying or a good Electrick/flying or a new fighter like water/fight , elek/fight NO FIRE/FIGHT we are going to reach about 800 Pokemon now it would be nice if they made some unique Pokemon and no rip offs from other gens...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think less bug and grass types, but make them more powerful. I would really love to see more grass types in competitive play. I'm the only person I've met that uses a grass type and that's Serperior (and yes, he does very well).

I would also like to see more ghosts and better poison types. I just feel like they have too little pokemon.

If there is more grass types than before, I'd hope that there's more Sap Sippers than in previous games (totally not ENOUGH) ;(

Also I think I want more ground types, thinking about it. They're one of the more powerful types in NU and there should be more ;_;

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
I am thankful that the fifth generation introduced more dark-types into the series. You can't deny that it was one of the most neglected types in the series. But now, I would like to see the same kind of boost being made to ice-types. Preferably, not in the form of a frozen dessert. xD

Back