• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Sprite Discussion [from RBYG to XY]

Rainbow-Sasuke

300 Posts be the 15th?
Years
A list of unappealling B/W sprites:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 13, 2011
Vileplume Sprite Discussion:

Red/Blue:
- Looks very flat since the flower seems overhead but Vileplume is looking straight in front of it. The flower also looks a lot skinnier than it should be. It's arms seem a bit too skinny and long, but the feet seem correct. Ad for a limited palette to work with, Vileplume's colors are grear, especially it's flower. The expression on it's face seems a little odd, with the huge smile.

3.5/10

Yellow:
- Pretty good for a sprite from the early games. The arms are a lot better than R/B, but now the feet seem a little too big. The position and size of the flower is also fixed so it fits on top of it's head and doesn't look incorrect. The limited palette also works great as the red still manages to keep Vileplume looking good, even though Vileplume is meant to be blue. The expression also looks a lot more normal.

5.5/10

Red/Green:
- ABSOLUTELY HIDEOUS. The only thing that this sprite has is it's color palette, but note that the R/B has the exact same colors. Not only are the arms annd legs way bigger than normal, the flower looks like it just got nibbled on, with all the petals in different shapes, plus it's once again in a very bad position on it's head, looking like it's in front of it's head rather than on top. It's smiles is too curved. Overall horrible.

1/10

Gold/Crystal:
- With a bigger palette to work with, Vileplume's colors are a major improvement. They used the two main colors, red and blue. The colors manage to compliment each other. The position of it seems like it's surfing, which looks very odd. The arms and legs are both correctly sized, though the position of the legs seem a little over spaced. The flower seems in correct position since it's leaning on it's side.

6/10

Silver:
- Same colors as G/C. The size of the arms and legs are also the same, only the legs are in better positioning. The fact that Vileplume is holding the flower on it's head is actually a plus since this backs up the fact that the flower is actually big and had hold to up, taken from it's R/B Pokedex. The exprression on it's head seems a little odd since the mouth is smaller than normal, in an oval-like shape.

6.5/10

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald:
- Now we finally move into the sprites with an unlimited palette. Sadly, the colors seems a little brighter than normal. The arms, legs and flower do look a lot more normal with them both in perfect sizing, thought the flower would look a lot better if it wasn't leaning so much in front. It also compliments Vileplume holding it's head flower like the Silver sprite since the Pokedex states the flower's heavy. And the fact that it's holding up one of it's feet adds more personality to it. It's expression is also normal looking.

8/10

FireRed/LeafGreen:
- Now with better colors, here's my favorite sprite for Vileplume. The colors are now darker and more natural for Vileplume. The flower actually looks great since it's a lot more on top of it's head instead of leaning. Though it is't holding the flower, you can just tell by looking at it that it's pretty heavy. The shading underneath the flower looks very realistic too. Overall great sprite.

9/10

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum:
- A very disappointing sprite. It seems like the sprite is trying to display how heavy the flower on it's head is, but it only makes it look foolish. The one plus though is that we get a better view of it's head flower. The sad expression is very unnormal for Vileplume as all of the other sprites show it with a smile. The arms and legs are in good size, but the legs look a little over spaced. And it's left arms a little smaller than it's right arm. The colors are very similar to FR/LG, only a little bit lighter, which I can work with.

6/10

HeartGold/SoulSilver:
- Better than D/P/Pt, but still somewhat bad. They seem to keep the same colors as before, but they do horrible with it's lighting. It looks like it's wearing a sweater. It also seems to be standing on it's toes if you compare it to it's other sprites. Besides that, there isn't much other differences between it and D/P/Pt. Overall normal looking.

7.5/10

Black/White:
- With darker colors once again, this has to be my second favorite sprite. Though it still has the "sweater lighting", they make it up with the colors for it's head flower. The flower seems very vibrant and realistic to the eye. It really compliments Vileplume's total sprite. And they have the shading underneath it perfect to look like it's providing shade for it's upper face. The arms and legs are good sized, though once again, it's left arm seems smaller than it's right. Overall, best flower design yet.
8/10

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I can't believe I haven't talked about Gallade here yet...

Its sprites are actually cool:
Spr_4d_475.png
Spr_4p_475.png
475.png

D/P, Platinum and B/W respectively.

I like the positioning of its arms in the Platinum sprite.

Rucario

Madam you see before you stand
Years
I honestly found that the best sprites were from R/B/Y because of the originality. I really like the HG/SS sprites as well because of the animations and just that they were new. The D/P/Pt sprites were okay, but they weren't the best. I saw the B/W sprites and I've noticed that they look kind of... pixelated for some reason. The FR/LG sprites were pretty amazing for their time as well. I remember when R/S/E came out and everybody was so amazed because of the sprites. And who wouldn't be? They were pretty good after we saw the G/S/C sprites. The G/S/C sprites were amazing because they were animated and I remember all of my friends were so excited to see the animations because it was new.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 13, 2011
Gloom Sprite Discussion:
Red/Blue:
- Not a good sprite at all. The sprite is missing an orange hair-like petal. The flower on it's head also seems a little small and flat. The limited color palette didn't help Gloom at all as the colors aren't at all part of Gloom's official colors. The worst feature on this sprite is the white lips as it makes it look like the drool is all over it's lips and not just dripping from them. The facial expression seems a little overboard. The legs seem a little small. Finally, the pollen is an unnessicary addition to the sprite.

Yellow:
- Very good sprite for Gloom. Though the main problem is the red hue, the whole sprite seems accurate and precise. All body parts are in perfect size, and none are missing either. The facial expression seems completely normal for a Gloom. They didn't use any pollen effects which is a definite plus.

8/10

Red/Green:
- Worst sprite for Gloom. Not only is every possible feature of Gloom either too slim or small. It seems like the resized the R/Band made it taller and skinnier, most importantly it's flower, body and it's hair-like petals. They even overdid the pollen effect MORE than before. Not to mention it's horrible color scheme. Basically it's a bad sprite.

Gold/Crystal:
- The colors of Gloom are very good for a limited palette. The colors go very well together and are close to that of Gloom's official colors. The lips also get an improvement, being seperate from it's actual drool. They brought back the pollen effect, which in my opinion, doesn't make the sprite better in any way. The arms and legs are in precise sizing. The only downside would be the fact that it's flower in petals look more as one body part when they should be two seperate parts. Overall, not bad for a sprite.

7/10

Silver:
- Not a very good sprite in terms of positioning. The fact that it looks like it's falling makes it look silly since Gloom's flower shouldn't even be heavy. Besides that, everything else is exactly like the Gold sprite.

6/10

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald:
- Being Gloom's first sprite with an unlimited palette, it didn't disappoint at all. All the colors seem precise and the figure seems correct overall. The only thing I find odd about it is that Gloom's sticking up it's right foot. It's not so high that it looks like it's falling, but wierd enough for question. Nothing really special about it, which does make it somewhat dull.

6.5/10

FireRed/LeafGreen:
- Very excellent color palette, like it's evolution, Vileplume. The colors seem to be perfect for Gloom as all the colors seem to be darkened compared to it's previous sprite colors. We also get to see Gloom in a new pose that doesn't make it look foolish. What I like best is that Gloom's face looks somewhat three dimensional as it's in a comepletely new angle. Overall, my favorite.

8.5/10

Diamond/Pearl/Black/White:
- Overall, Gloom's expression brigns out the entire sprite. The colors, position and overall size proportions are very good. The hair-like petals seem a tad bit too long. Not bad, but not good.

6/10

HeartGold/SoulSilver:
- A very interesting angle of Gloom. With gloom looking up make sit seem more it's size. Everything seem about right, but also very dull like most of it's other sprites.

7/10

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
I saw the B/W sprites and I've noticed that they look kind of... pixelated for some reason.

In-battle animations are mainly done through the use of automatically rotating and distorting individual segments of the sprite via the DS hardware, causing a breaking effect where the outlines becomes jumpy due to the transformations done to the sprite. The backsprites are now drawn at exactly the same size as the front sprites and often zoomed in on during battle, creating a blown up effect.

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 23, 2012
Gloom Sprite Discussion:
Red/Blue:
- Not a good sprite at all. The sprite is missing an orange hair-like petal. The flower on it's head also seems a little small and flat. The limited color palette didn't help Gloom at all as the colors aren't at all part of Gloom's official colors. The worst feature on this sprite is the white lips as it makes it look like the drool is all over it's lips and not just dripping from them. The facial expression seems a little overboard. The legs seem a little small. Finally, the pollen is an unnessicary addition to the sprite.

Yellow:
- Very good sprite for Gloom. Though the main problem is the red hue, the whole sprite seems accurate and precise. All body parts are in perfect size, and none are missing either. The facial expression seems completely normal for a Gloom. They didn't use any pollen effects which is a definite plus.

8/10

Red/Green:
- Worst sprite for Gloom. Not only is every possible feature of Gloom either too slim or small. It seems like the resized the R/Band made it taller and skinnier, most importantly it's flower, body and it's hair-like petals. They even overdid the pollen effect MORE than before. Not to mention it's horrible color scheme. Basically it's a bad sprite.

Gold/Crystal:
- The colors of Gloom are very good for a limited palette. The colors go very well together and are close to that of Gloom's official colors. The lips also get an improvement, being seperate from it's actual drool. They brought back the pollen effect, which in my opinion, doesn't make the sprite better in any way. The arms and legs are in precise sizing. The only downside would be the fact that it's flower in petals look more as one body part when they should be two seperate parts. Overall, not bad for a sprite.

7/10

Silver:
- Not a very good sprite in terms of positioning. The fact that it looks like it's falling makes it look silly since Gloom's flower shouldn't even be heavy. Besides that, everything else is exactly like the Gold sprite.

6/10

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald:
- Being Gloom's first sprite with an unlimited palette, it didn't disappoint at all. All the colors seem precise and the figure seems correct overall. The only thing I find odd about it is that Gloom's sticking up it's right foot. It's not so high that it looks like it's falling, but wierd enough for question. Nothing really special about it, which does make it somewhat dull.

6.5/10

FireRed/LeafGreen:
- Very excellent color palette, like it's evolution, Vileplume. The colors seem to be perfect for Gloom as all the colors seem to be darkened compared to it's previous sprite colors. We also get to see Gloom in a new pose that doesn't make it look foolish. What I like best is that Gloom's face looks somewhat three dimensional as it's in a comepletely new angle. Overall, my favorite.

8.5/10

Diamond/Pearl/Black/White:
- Overall, Gloom's expression brigns out the entire sprite. The colors, position and overall size proportions are very good. The hair-like petals seem a tad bit too long. Not bad, but not good.

6/10

HeartGold/SoulSilver:
- A very interesting angle of Gloom. With gloom looking up make sit seem more it's size. Everything seem about right, but also very dull like most of it's other sprites.

7/10

Oooh, I really like what she did with this, so I'll give it a try. :P
I'll just use one of my favorite 1st generation Pokemon: Ivysaur~

Red/Blue:
Spr_1b_002.png

Well, this one looks rather... strange. O_o
First of all, its pose is pretty weird (especially since the Pokedex constantly states that Ivysaur is unable to stand on its hind legs), and with the limited colors of the Game Boy, its color scheme is VERY off.
But honestly, I think this sprite looks kinda cute. x3 It has a very frog-like appearance, too.

4/10

Yellow:
Spr_1y_002.png

Ooh, nice improvement~
Now Ivysaur looks MUCH more like its actual appearance. :3
Everything seems spot on, really. Of course, the color scheme isn't perfect, but what do you expect from the Game Boy?

6/10

Red/Green:
Spr_1g_002.png

Oh, god! What's this?! Sooo many things wrong here. XD
First of all, what's going on with its ears? They look too mouse-like, and give Ivysaur such a... weird look. :< Now look at its feet! They look... swollen. O_O Its nails are also very rounded, to the point that its feet look mutated. Then there's the plant on its back. It seems separated from its back. And speaking of its back, it looks very... smashed. xD

0/10 T_T

Gold/Silver:
Spr_2g_002.png
Spr_2s_002.png

OK, first of all, I never understood why Gold and Silver had different Pokemon sprites. :x ANYWAYS, since they look so alike, I'll just give them both the same rating. These sprites are like a REVOLUTION for the Ivysaur sprites. xD Now that there's better colors on the newer system, these sprites look more accurate. The only problem with these sprites, is that the leaves on its back aren't a darker shade than its body like usual.

7/10

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald:
Spr_3r_002.png

Bleh, I don't really like this one...
Firstly, its expression gives it a really mean look (even though practically all Ivysaur sprites had a similar expression x3), and secondly... I HATE ITS POSE. Its back legs look really weird. All floppy lookin' and stuff. Definitely not the best Ivysaur sprite. =/

2/10

FireRed/LeafGreen:
Spr_3f_002.png

Yay, one of my favorite Ivysaur sprites. Everything seems in perfect shape with this one. I honestly have nothing bad to say about it. :3

10/10

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum:
Spr_4d_002.png

Eee, animated sprite~
Well, this one looks pretty good, really. The colors of its body changed a bit from its FR/LG sprite, but it doesn't look bad. One problem is that the plant on its back looks a bit... flat. The middle leaf seems pushed up against the bulb, and makes it look odd. =/ If it was hovering over its head like it usually does, then it'd look a bit better.

9/10

HeartGold/SoulSilver:
Spr_4h_002.png

Nonononono, what happened to its skin? I never liked the bluish color on Bulbasaur, so this isn't any better. D: That's probably the only issue with this one... It's not HORRIBLE, but it isn't the best. =/

8.5/10
Black/White (inb4youcan'tseethewhite):
Spr_5b_002.png

Hm, its skin color is still a bit bluish, but it's not as noticeable as the HG/SS sprite. :x I actually really like this sprite, to be honest. :3 Everything seems alright with it (just wish they'd make the middle leaf look more like it's hanging over its head X_X).

9/10

Btw, has anyone else noticed how Ivysaur's eyes were purple in the anime? Why couldn't they keep them like that? :<

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Well Sugimori's art has always depicted Ivysaur with red eyes, so presumably it was a change made by the animation studio for whatever reason.

(Interestingly enough, the Pokémon Dream World artwork depicts Ivysaur with purple eyes, so whether that was an artist's decision or they were working with anime production materials who knows.)

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
That would be the move animation and has nothing to do with the sprite itself. But there are other sprites that make using moves look weird, like Platinum's Skuntank using Flamethrower. I don't even need to say anything more than that.

Ayselipera

HeartGold/SoulSilver:
Spr_4h_002.png

Nonononono, what happened to its skin? I never liked the bluish color on Bulbasaur, so this isn't any better. D: That's probably the only issue with this one... It's not HORRIBLE, but it isn't the best. =/

I always loved the bluish skin tone more then the green. I think it makes the rest of the body stand out a bit more. Green against green is a little dull for me.

I have noticed that in HG/SS, Charizard's sprite does it's Flamethrower through it's upper chest!

Yeah I think the move animation is always placed in the same spot no matter what. So on some Pokemon it lines up well while on others it can get a little weird. Case in point Skuntank as Sydian mentioned. Anyways I thought they might make the animation line up with each Pokemon correctly for Black and White, but after seeing some videos I guess not.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2014
Steelix Sprite Review:

Gold:

Is it standing on it's chin or what? The colors really compliment it, but the position really is it's downfall.

5.5/10

Silver:

- Much better position for a Steelix than the last one. Same witrh the colors, but a mich better sprite indeed.

8/10

Crystal:

- WHY did they reuse the Gold Sprite for Crystal? The colors have less power to them, and the animation overall is plain boring. They could of had it's spiked rocks spin like Rhydon's drill and have it chomp it's mouth. A pain to the eyes really.

3.5/10

Ruby/Sapphire/FireRed/LeafGreen:

- A somewhat good sprite of Steelix overall. Colors are good, but the positioning looks somewhat plain with it looking just to it's side. Not bad, but in need with a bit of improvement.

6/10

Emerald:

This sprite was saved by this animation. With it roaring and moving it's mouth, it makes it far less boring and gives Steelix much more of a ferocious nature to it's sprite. Very good.

8/10

More being added later!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
That Emerald animation is one of the better animations, I'll give it that. Doesn't surpass the Crystal animation though. I never had a problem with the positioning on the Gold and Silver sprites, I thought they were more unique than the others where he's standing up.

Years
  • Seen Mar 20, 2011
180px-059Arcanine.png

Arcanine Sprite Review

Red/Blue

Spr_1b_059.png

wuh wuh wtf is this? no no no 1/10

Yellow

Spr_1y_059.png

ok a little better, weird position, colors are a bit bright but better then red/blue 3/10

Red/Green
Spr_1g_059.png

ugh like red/blue but with an open mouth and its trotting *sigh* if i wasnt 4 when red/blue came out arcanine would not be my favorite pokemon 1/10

Gold/Silver
Spr_2g_059.png
Spr_2s_059.png

first one looks interesting but it looks fat sorta 4/10
Silver one was great imo fits arcanine well 6/10

Crystal
Spr_2c_059.gif

moving sprite alright. paw tail mouth wink..hair moves by itself? wut 5/10

Ruby/Sapphire
Spr_3r_059.png

one of my favorites it just fits Arcanine and his personality and demeanor well. 8/10

Emerald
Spr_3e_059.gif

added animation to the R/S one and he looks dope i like it 8/10

FireRed/LeafGreen
Spr_3f_059.png

small difference between this and R/S. smoother stripes and lighter stripes on the front two legs. i like the R/S more but this isnt bad 7/10

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
Spr_4d_059.png

Not bad, he/she looks fierce in this 7/10

Heartgold/SoulSilver
Spr_4h_059.png

my favorite Arcanine sprite 10/10 he looks happy, like a leader in this Majestic in a way

Black/White
Spr_5b_059.png

wtf happened to his face. it looks flattened. the colors changed, im diggin the darker orange and the cool stripe pattern but his face looks weird more feline then canine if you ask me, if they fix that in the third game or R/s remake id be so happy. besides the face its great
8/10

Ayselipera

Wow, I have to say Arcanine has had a pretty good sprite history. The only one I'm having problems with is its Black and White sprite. It looks too thin in my opinion. They took all the fluffiness out of its coat. :/ As for my favorite sprite I'm going to have to go with Red and Blue. I'm usually one for Yellow's sprites, but Arcanine is a little too bright orange for me in that particular one. Not to mention I love the facial features of the Red and Blue sprite too much to pick any other.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
BW Arcanine looks like it was just groomed and they forgot to blow dry his fur, so it's in that awkward half wet half dry phase.

nm legend

Years
you know at first i was like wat is that......but another look and the B/W arcanine looks cool....i cant explain it better but it looks like it evovle from a growlithe... a teenage arcanine idk...lol

Isasapiens

A pine tree...
Years
Now, for the chinchou:

Gold:
Spr_2g_170.png

Chinchou looks like a balloon there. And a bit dark.

Silver:
Spr_2s_170.png

Ok, changed the pose a little. But it still looks like a balloon.

Crystal:
Spr_2c_170.gif

Ok, when I told it was too dark, you didn't need to light up too much. Great animation, between.

Ruby/Sapphire/Firered/Leafgreen:
Spr_3r_170.png

Now it's soaring... Or it's happy to see me? Or it wants to light up my life?

Emerald:
Spr_3e_170.gif

It seems that it likes dancing...

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum:

Spr_4d_170.png

Finally the colors got corrected!

Heartgold/Soulsilver:

Spr_4h_170.png

Ok, you look like you're almost falling there...

Black/White:

Spr_5b_170.png

Say, did they got lazy with you? Chinchou: Not really, they just based on another sprite, though I'm different.

Last edited:

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2014
Here is the transition from one of the cutest sprites to one of the worst.

441.png
^^ So cute! Imma get some bird seeds for you!

-Leaves for five minutes-

-Comes back-

-Drops bird seeds in shock and gasps-

Spr_4p_441.png
: O. WHO'S BEEN TEASING THE BIRD WHILE I'VE BEEN GONE?

Last edited:
Back