• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

After you finally hatch a Shiny, do you settle for the wrong nature/ability?

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2013
I am trying my hardest at the moment to hatch a shiny. But I came to thinking, once I get one, it will almost certainly not contain the nature I want it to have.

So, what do you guys usually do? Do you settle for whatever it has once you get the shiny? Or do you keep trying to breed shinies until you get one with the right combination (O_o).

Does the nature play a huge part in competitive play? As that is what I will be using the pokemon for. If it only helps slightly, it would probably be worth it to keep the shiny, right?...

Years
I usually settle for whatever it has -- If I wanted it for competitive purposes, I wouldn't bother with trying to get a shiny.

And to answer your question, the nature does play a pretty big part competitively - there are some natures you REALLY don't want.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2013
I usually settle for whatever it has -- If I wanted it for competitive purposes, I wouldn't bother with trying to get a shiny.

And to answer your question, the nature does play a pretty big part competitively - there are some natures you REALLY don't want.

Hmm, ok thanks for the answer.

It's just that when I watch competitive battles online, their pokemon are always shiny. I just don't get it, do they cheat or something? :(

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
They RNG. There are people on here that can RNG abuse to get Shinies with preferred natures and IVs. You can probably learn from one of them.

Gen 5.5 will make things a bit easier in that aspect as well as you'll be able to control nature and ability much better with the new Breeding Mechanics.

Years
I never hatched a Shiny yet, but if it did happen and it turned out with the wrong nature or ability, I wouldn't use it.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
The only time I ever hatched a shiny was a Chansey in Platinum. I kept it because it had the right nature and ability. I still would have kept it even if it had the wrong nature and ability.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I'd just keep it, I'd really like to have a shiny Umbreon tho. I mark my words..... I will get a shiny Umbreon. Idc if I gotta keep restarting the game at Bills for it to be a shiny Eevee, I'm getting my shiny Umbreon. I wouldn't care what nature it is and if it's got the right nature then I might use it competively. You can always EV train them too.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I RNG so this isn't a problem for me. n___n If I hatched a random shiny though, nature and such wouldn't matter. I'd probably use it on an in-game team for some other playthrough. :)

Sirfetch’d

I would probably use it. I don't have the patience to breed for shinies though

Kranic

What did you say about my hair
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2014
I usually see shinies as trophies rather than something you would usein a battle, since if the thing did have good stats people would think it was hacked anyways.

Years
If you have a female with the right nature you can use that to breed with another male you've hatched and give the female an Everstone to give you a 50% chance of inheriting the nature.
You can also keep switching out the parents for good IVs until you get a shiny. The longer you've been breeding for good IVs the better they get and your shiny (When you get it) will have a higher probability of inheriting good stats from its many many generations of parents..

Or you can RNG. I personally like toiling for hours (I also can't use the software) but it's on you what you decide to do.

Years
I don't have the patience to breed a shiny pokemon ._. the only time I encountered a shiny was on my Diamond and it was a shiny Rhydon (yup I went nuts and lost my mind lol)
I evolved and EV trained it but never used it competitively, as it had a Hasty nature.....

Years
So, what do you guys usually do? Do you settle for whatever it has once you get the shiny? Or do you keep trying to breed shinies until you get one with the right combination (O_o).

Does the nature play a huge part in competitive play? As that is what I will be using the pokemon for. If it only helps slightly, it would probably be worth it to keep the shiny, right?...

At the moment I'm trying to breed a shiny Feebas. If I succeed it would be the first time.. seeing as the chances are about 1 in 2000 of actually breeding a shiny (using the Masuda Method)... I would just be happy to get a shiny!

I can't even imagine finally getting a shiny and being disappointed if it wasn't an Adamant nature or something... :pink_shifty:

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I dont care about natures. At all. If I get a shiny, im keeping it.

Back