• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen V RMT

Snorelacks

Ready to get burned?
Years
This is my new team. I'd like some suggestions on how to improve it.

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Skill Link | Jolly
Shell Smash
Razor Shell
Rock Blast
Icicle Spear
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe

This is my lead. Most people are surprised by this because Focus Sash is an unusual item to have on Cloyster, so I have a turn to Shell Smash while my opponent tries to kill me and then I can attack when his or her priority user switches in. I have swept whole teams with this guy.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Prankster | Impish
Toxic
Encore
Substitute
Leech Seed
EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 Spe

I don't really like Whimsicott anymore, but I can't find anything to replace it with. I really need suggestions on this one. I know I have the wrong EVs and I'm not sure I entirely know how to use Whimsicott. Please help me on this one! I was thinking of replacing it with a standard mixed Infernape.

Latios @ Life Orb
Levitate | Timid
Surf
Psyshock
Recover
Dragon Pulse
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spe

This is surprisingly effective, even though the set doesn't have too much coverage. I know that I'm not using a common or "real" set, but I think that this Latios:
a) Destroys you if you are weak to it
b) Resists a lot of moves that the rest of the team doesn't
and c) stays in the game for a long time because of recover.

Galvantula @ Life Orb
Compoundeyes | Timid
Thunder
Bug Buzz
Energy Ball
Hidden Power (Ice 70)
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spe

Galvantula is underrated.
There, I said it. I think that Galvantula needs to be used more often. It has a nice Special Attack stat and great Speed. The coverage that Electric/Bug/Grass/Ice provides is amazing. My only glaring weakness in this Pokemon (and team, for that matter) is Scizor.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Iron Barbs | Sassy
Power Whip
Gyro Ball
Stealth Rock
Thunder Wave
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SpDef
IVs: 0 Speed

This is my physical wall. It doesn't have Spikes, unfortunately. Can't do anything about that. I'm also kind of looking to replace Ferrothorn, but I don't know what with. I'm also looking for suggestions here.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Natural Cure | Bold
Toxic
Seismic Toss
Aromatherapy
Softboiled
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe

And my special wall. This does everything in the world that any wall could ever want to do except for Wish. It supports my team with Aromatherapy and Toxic. It can do some damage with Seismic Toss and stall with Softboiled. I can switch to Ferrothorn if a physical attacker comes in, but I still kind of want to replace Ferrothorn. Chansey is pretty much a perfect wall.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Gyro Ball and Thunder Wave don't mesh well together on Ferrothorn because Gyro Ball will do less damage against a paralyzed opponent. Drop one of them for Leech Seed, since Ferrothorn doesn't have recovery at the moment.

Renegade1

#1 Noob!
Years
I've always thought of Ferrothron as a mixed wall, i mean if you look at it's stats.

Good job on Chansey, probably the best Special Wall, with no competition.

I mean if it was me? For a Physical wall? I'd look towards Skarmory.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Yeah, Whimsicott is a garbage mon pretty much, easy to stop and really doesn't do anything.

Id look into something to cover your massive Scizor weakness your team also really struggles with Ferrothorn as you essentially cannot touch it.

Id suggest Magnezone over Whimsicott, this also helps Latios sweeping job easier as it can remove the steels that wall it.

Magnezone @ leftovers
252 SP.Atk / 252 Speed / 6 HP
Modest Nature
Trait: Magnet Pull
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt / Charge Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon / Charge Beam

Also id look into a sturdy fighting resist somewhere here as a simple Swords Dance Lucario can set up easily and 6-0 you, probably over Galvantula.

Last edited:
Years
cant link to ur c drive lol

anyways I know its appealing to stick chansey on every team since it walls a lot of the metagame but in all honesty it will really just destroy ur momentum and p much be setup bait for any physical and some special sweepers, whereas Ferrothorn is actually useful on more offensive teams because it can be a catch all means of temporarily stopping problem pokemon and your opponent's momentum and also spreads para/lays hazards. I think you could actually consider putting a Polifrog in chansey's place. Looking at this team, almost all of its members benefit from the rain in some way [Latios surf gets powered up, fire attacks dont hit Ferrothorn as bad, Cloysters water stab is boosted and Thunder will now always hit rather than 90% of the time], in addition to that Heatran looks really annoying for this team but rain being up changes that a bit and bulky Politoed gives you a p solid counter.

Politoed (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 64 SAtk / 40 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect
- Perish Song

edit elf is right about lucario 6-0ing and cb terrakion goes ham against this also; one unique thing you could do is run sash dugtrio which traps both terrak and luke before they can do stuff and also traps/kills other weather starters and latios's main counter in jirachi; although this is kind of gimmicky it could possibly work with the team given its structure

Snorelacks

Ready to get burned?
Years
Why does the Politoed have to be female?
But Politoed does seem like a good idea. The only problem I have now is that I have to switch in Cloyster, who is very hard to switch in without ruining Focus Sash.

If I'm using a Rain team, do I want Kingdra>Latios? Or is that still illegal?

For a fighting resist, I could replace Ferrothorn or Whimsicott with Sigilyph, who doesn't benefit from the rain. (Does flame orb Burn get healed by Rain?)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
But Politoed does seem like a good idea. The only problem I have now is that I have to switch in Cloyster, who is very hard to switch in without ruining Focus Sash.

For a fighting resist, I could replace Ferrothorn or Whimsicott with Sigilyph, who doesn't benefit from the rain. (Does flame orb Burn get healed by Rain?)

No. Burns don't get healed in rain. But you can go with Toxicroak, who has a Fighting resist and benefits from the rain at the same time. This should go over Whimsicott, since Ferrothorn is your best check against opposing Water Pokemon:
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Sucker Punch
-Substitute
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 244 HP/252 Atk/12 Def
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin

Years

just cp'd the evs from an rmt where the politoed was female, if this is for wifi it doesnt really matter but female ptoed can cause haxorus's rivalry ability to backfire and reduce its power so it could probably take an attack from haxorus if needed

Lila.

Banned
Years
What are you trying to accomplish with this team. Is there a certain team archetype that you would like to use when making this team? I think that if you tried to make this team a bit more focused, then it would be much easier to make. For example, you seem to make some weird choices in galvantula and whismicott, but then I scroll down and see a standard stall core. I suppose if you wanted to try stall, I'd use politoed over either galvantula or whismicott. From there I'd try to mold your team into either some sort of stall based team if you wish. Although if you want to use a different type of playstyle then I suggest that you at least get a focus for this team and try to establish what you want to accomplish. Otherwise, people would have to make half decent suggestions to try and water down this team even more.

Snorelacks

Ready to get burned?
Years
What are you trying to accomplish with this team. Is there a certain team archetype that you would like to use when making this team? I think that if you tried to make this team a bit more focused, then it would be much easier to make. For example, you seem to make some weird choices in galvantula and whismicott, but then I scroll down and see a standard stall core. I suppose if you wanted to try stall, I'd use politoed over either galvantula or whismicott. From there I'd try to mold your team into either some sort of stall based team if you wish. Although if you want to use a different type of playstyle then I suggest that you at least get a focus for this team and try to establish what you want to accomplish. Otherwise, people would have to make half decent suggestions to try and water down this team even more.

I'm thinking of making it a Rain team and giving the team a complete overhaul. I would only keep Latios and Cloyster. These would be the others in a not-very-detailed nutshell:

The Politoed that Karpman suggested (except Ice Beam over Perish Song)
Bullet Punch/X-Scissor/Swords Dance/Roost Scizor @ Steel Gem
Standard Swords Dance Toxicroak @ Leftovers w/ Dry Skin
Choice Specs Starmie w/ Rapid Spin/Thunder/Surf/Ice Beam

Years
I'm thinking of making it a Rain team and giving the team a complete overhaul. I would only keep Latios and Cloyster. These would be the others in a not-very-detailed nutshell:

The Politoed that Karpman suggested (except Ice Beam over Perish Song)
Bullet Punch/X-Scissor/Swords Dance/Roost Scizor @ Steel Gem
Standard Swords Dance Toxicroak @ Leftovers w/ Dry Skin
Choice Specs Starmie w/ Rapid Spin/Thunder/Surf/Ice Beam

Seems like a solid start but 'a rain team' doesnt really satisfy Lila's question about your team. Basically a team will be able to function more effectively in battle if it has a goal of sorts, rather than just using a ton of sweepers and **** lol. For example using Lucario and Terrakion on one team can prove effective since they have the same counters and while something like Hippowdon could handle Lucario or Terrakion, it cant handle both consecutively so one of them will usually sweep. An example of something like this that you could do with rain is to run a Choice Banded Waterfall Dragonite and a Swords Dance Scizor, the CB Nite can smash through most of the pokemon that wall SD Scizor [skarm glis quagsire tentacruel] between outrage and waterfall while both are able to abuse the rain. Just food for thought and something to stimulate you to think on a higher level.

Snorelacks

Ready to get burned?
Years
I hate stall strategies. I can't make them work and I think they take the fun out of the battle. So I guess what I really want is a team of bulky attackers and hard-hitting sweepers that can abuse rain. Does this strategy make it easier for anyone to help me build my team?

Basically, I like to use Pokemon that generally take hits well but can also pack a punch. I love Dragonite, Bulky Scizor, and SubPunch Breloom. I also don't have a problem using relatively frail sweepers with decent coverage (who also preferably hit hard) like Specs Starmie, Shell Smash Cloyster, Zoroark, Infernape (both kinds), and Blaziken in Ubers.

If I could build a team based on these kinds (not necessarily these) of pokemon, that would be great.

Back