• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you ever Deny that New Pokemon are "Pokemon"?

Lucky1Yena

Just some guy
Years
I don't really see how you can say a Pokémon isn't a Pokémon.

If it's in a "Pokémon" titled game, can be battled with and can be captured or obtained in a Pokéball (or variation of that item) then it's a Pokémon, regardless of the generation it first appears in.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 19, 2013
It is a shame that there are surprisingly many people who take new Pokemon so harshly. Though I am glad that in this thread majority does not feel that way. I can understand that new thing can feel strange at first like oh okay this is Pokemon now too. It may feel weird and they did not registered in your memory yet that "hey dude, those are Pokemon. They always was and always will be". But I can promise that just tackle the game and beat it, for the time you reach the end they all will become part of that memory too. You won't regret it!
For me I could never not accept new Pokemon, it is just impossible. There are generic looking ones and some bizarre ones too, though that actually reminds me animals in real nature what makes me happy. There are your simple animals and there are also ones that make you say "that is an animal? AND IT IS REAL?". In my opinion we need the simple Pokemon like Bunnelby and Mankey but we also need the strange ones like Garbodor and Spoink. Remember also that a Pokemon can really be anything too they not necessarily have to resemble an regular animal, the variety and possibilities what makes the Pokemon world more interesting. You can never know what to expect because anything is possible. But no matter how simple or weird a Pokemon may be it will always just makes the Pokemon wildlife more interesting and complete. That is how I feel.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
If they are in the game, and they can be caught in the wild or battled by an opposing Trainer. They're Pokémon. End of story.

naruck23

Plague
Years
I love them all, especially new. Pokemon are supposed to be wierd, and sometimes ugly.
That's what makes pokemon awesome and diverse, and I accept any design, well, I don't like pokemon based off innanimate objects but the others are really interesting.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 28, 2021
Okay I take back my previous statement about denying that some Pokémon are Pokémon, but I just personally think some are silly. I'm not against Pokémon like Muk or Voltorb because there's a story/explanation to them. They were accidently made in the Pokémon universe by humans (same with Mewtwo who is AWESOME). But if an ice cream cone or garbage in a garbage bag, which are inventions, products you can buy at the store, are made into Pokémon with no explanation except for that they are just Pokémon, I'm not a fan of that...

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
Sometimes I do, but that's just me. But after awhile, they will grow into me and cling on to me so much after knowing them for like a few months, they automatically gets listed as a Pokemon in my books.

Just my story.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Haha, no. Not nowadays. I've accepted that the weirdest creations can pass as pokémon.

But once upon a time there were 151 pokémon in the world, and my friend showed me the so called "Silver" version where he had something called a "Steelix" that was supposedly an evolution of Onix. I laughed in his face and called it fake. Why would anyone bother to evolve Onix? And a "steel" type? Bah!

And then I realized that it was actually true and newer generations just kept coming. Oh well. :]

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Absolutely not. Why would I do that? xD Regardless of how they look or behave, Pokémon are Pokémon and they always will be. There are a lot of Pokémon that I personally don't like, though. Few of them are Muk, Magcargo, Exploud, Vanilluxe, Garbodor, and Trubbish.

TreeKangaroo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Years
After Diamond and Pearl I just gave up on Game Freaks new design on Pokemon. They just look so fake and unbelievable. I guess I'd rather see animal looking pokemon rather monster looking Pokemon.

Monster looking pokemon huh? Well guess what? Pokemon=Pocket Monsters!

And I disagree. And there were non animal looking pokemon in gen 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

And for gen 6 there's a few like honedge for example.

sonoskay

Cain
Years
No, all Pokemon are Pokemon.. i mean there is one pokemon i think SHOULDN'T be a Pokemon... but it is and i accept that, and always have. and personally design wise i loved gen 5. i don't understand where a lot of the dislike comes from.

Okay I take back my previous statement about denying that some Pokémon are Pokémon, but I just personally think some are silly. I'm not against Pokémon like Muk or Voltorb because there's a story/explanation to them. They were accidently made in the Pokémon universe by humans (same with Mewtwo who is AWESOME). But if an ice cream cone or garbage in a garbage bag, which are inventions, products you can buy at the store, are made into Pokémon with no explanation except for that they are just Pokémon, I'm not a fan of that...
I for the most part agree with you.. But to me a garbage bag kinda makes sence.. if you use mutatoin and toxic sludge as a means to justify.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
As someone who really doesn't like most of the pokémon introduced in gen 5, I feel that a few don't fit well into the pokémon art style (Goofy ice cream cone, not-digifused Kuyrem and Haxours come to mind). At least generation 4 didn't diverge from the main art style too much. (e.g the creation trio have designs reminiscent of the Beldum line, which were not too overdesigned and didn't have random spikes and colours on them))

I don't really like this argument too much, although we do get used to the general design of Pokémon: Fairly basic looking and vibrant. (two things I almost never call gen 5 pokémon)

Fernando Torres

Class on grass
Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2014
They are all Pokémon some less awesome than others, but we all need to acknowledge that Mudkip is the best one of them all :3

Years
When Gen 5 came out, I kept saying, "These are not real Pokemon ermahgerd", but after actually buying Black 2 and playing it, I came to a sound conclusion:

Gen 5 Pokemon are more creatively-designed than earlier gens.

Although, yes, the ice cream cone and garbage bag are obvious exceptions, I find most of the Gen 5 Pokemon acceptable as Pokemon, and some I find even well-designed and thought-out.

In terms of Gen 6, I see this same problem arising for myself when the games come out. I mean, I've heard rumors of Pokemon designed as various foods...*twitch* o_e

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
This Garbodor hate is annoying. For what it is, it's certainly better than Muk, who's a pile of goo that evolves from a smaller pile of goo.

And Vanillite isn't ice cream. It's snow flakes that look like ice cream. Originally, ice creams were made of ice, not milk. I thought it was an interesting idea.

Years
Any time that we get newly introduced Pokemon, I never feel that they shouldn't be considered Pokemon, because nothing's going to change it at that point. Sure, I may find some of them ridiculous or even forget that some of them actually exist, but a Pokemon's a Pokemon.

Except for Tentacool. Is it too late to un-create it by now?

Years
300px-Garbodor.png

At first I was like, "really?!" Now, I actually think Garbador is kinda cute. The design is actually really nice, especially for trash!

There is no excuse for some pokemon though, that I hardly consider pokemon.
- Hitmontop (A bit too literally with the concept.)
- Unown (No explanation needed)
- Claydol (Zelda baddy?)
- Nosepass (A rock with a huge nose?)
- Chimecho (Do I need to say what it looks like!!! It's just so GROSS!)
- The legendary Golems. (No eyes or facial features, they just look like PokeStudious characters, rather than acutual pokemon.)
- Spiritomb - this just looks like a fakemon.
- Most of gen 4 add-ons. (Tangrowth, Lickilicky, Togekiss, Rhyperior, Probopass, Rotom-Forms, Magnezone, ect.) Way to ruin some classic pokemon families with rotund uniform shaped pokemon with zero sense of taste. This is why gen 4 is the my least favorite.
- Vanilite Line (I love how people defend this, it's actually a rock with ice on it. No, that's the concept's after thought, it's just a floating icecream cone. They could have done this so many other ways to appear like an icecream cone in essense without literally appearing as one. GF's taste was just so bland on this one. Pun intended.)
- Ferrothorn - (It's like a ufo with three tentables with spike disks, and it's just odd. The pre-evo is not any better. It just has a terrible color palette, and looks very forced in the steel/grass typing. )
- Amoonguss - (This thing actually grosses me out for some reason. I hate the eyes and bulging hand balls. It's a shame, since Foongus is so cute. The concept is actually very nice, better than voltorb.)
Kyurem fusions - WHAT A CONVOLUTED MESS! They look like a terrible fusemon that someone would no taste would make.
(Don't get me wrong. I love love love gen 5, but there were a few pokemon that stuck out, not in a good way.)
- Honedge (This is the only bad egg of the new bunch. It's a sword with an eye that holds onto a sheath. I think it is GREAT sheathed, and it's ruined when unsheathed. )

These are all of the pokemon that I not only dislike, but I think they detract from the game. For instance I don't really prefer Raticate, but it's nice to have variety. These pokemon have concepts that just take away a small amount of enjoyment when I see them since they don't have a pokemon aesthetic. 28 of 649 aint bad though at all.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Bashes Vanillite for looking like ice cream.

Avatar is the candy cotton Pokémon.

There's a contradiction there.

Shizzable

The Derpiest One Of All
Years
I really dislike a few of the new gen 6 Pokemon, and deny those are Pokemon. I'm sure that I'll get over it eventually, but for now I don't consider Flabébé, Swirlix, Spritzee, and Dedenne real Pokemon.

Don't get me wrong, though. I'm still really excited for Gen 6 :P

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
While some of the new Pokemon (particularly starting from Gen III) are getting colorful and receiving complicating designs as Generations goes by.
Sure there are Pokemon that I hate or hated,
though I never did have that intense feeling -- 'Yuck! That is not a Pokemon',
nor like my brother says that they look like Digimon.

For the past Generations when new Pokemon debuted,
I have a very welcoming attitude to all of them.
However there some Gen VI Pokemon that quite hit my nerves...>:(
Not as tense as thinking that they should not be a Pokemon,
but it's nearly as close to that feeling!
It's more like I felt they were overly design or could be better.

Hitlist:
Chespin, Litleo, Swirlix

atomtanned

Delinquent
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2022
Honestly, there are Pokemon whose design I hate in Gen I, and there are Pokemon whose design I like in Gen V. Just because you don't like a design doesn't mean that it's not a Pokemon...

Also, when people who complain about inanimate objects or trash... Magnemite is a magnet! Grimer & Muk are just PILES OF GOO. I don't understand why people get so upset, Pokemon have had designs like this from literally the very beginning of the franchise.

Back