• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Role Playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
Here are some tips for a Role playing criteria
Names of Characters are in Bold font
all actions (that means all actions must be in parentheses) they must be in Italic
Changing the settings must be in Bold and Italic
The reason I know this is because earlier this month I was doing a unit on this. I hope this helps alittle:badsmile:

:t003:Dark Venusaur

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Uh... There's a difference between script-formatting and roleplaying, and I'm assuming you mean the former. If you're talking about script-formatting, then I really don't think it matters if the character names are in bold. Most of the plays I've read (mainly modern editions of Shakespeare's works and a few other plays for independent stages) actually have the character names in all capitals, not bold. They also sometimes have the actions in brackets -- [ and ] -- rather than parentheses, though they're still italicized to further separate them from regular text. (Incidentally, yes, I've studied this as well.)

I'm not really sure what you mean by "changing the settings," but in all of the scripts I was referring to before, it's been done in all capitals (for the title of the new act or scene), followed by a paragraph in italics to describe the setting.

Roleplaying, meanwhile, is when you:
1. Actually/Would act out what's going on.
2. Assume the persona of your characters.
3. Write a scene centered around/from the point of view of a certain character or characters for the purpose of having other writers add to the story by interacting with "your" characters.

If there's a different defintion here on PC, I'd like to hear it, though.

Edit: Though, personally, when it comes to fanfiction, I think whether or not something is bold or italicized is rather trivial, just as long as the reader can tell the difference between action and what's being said. (I only say this because no one actually follows conventions for scripts when it comes to fanfiction anyway... if there can be considered "conventions for scripts.")

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Dark Venusaur said:
It does sometimes

It does what sometimes? Matter whether or not a script's formatted as if it were a professional work? Sometimes it might look better, but when it comes to fandom, I have yet to see someone actually format a script the way actual playwrights do. (Yes, I have read some good scriptfics in the past, complete with stage directions that made them seem as if they were meant to be performed onstage. However, few of them really used bold or italics. Many of them used capital letters for characters and brackets around stage directions, though.)

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
Years
Dark Venusaur said:
Close this Thread because I feel like I am getting flammed and I dont like it.

Just because you receive a (wrong) implication of getting flamed does not constitute a right to close this thread. Kazeto Tamashii was reasoning, and as far as I can tell...

Reasoning =/= getting flamed. If this is your lack of aptness at understanding Kazeto's post, then simply inform her and surely you two can compromise. ^_^;

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Thank you, Lily.

Anyway, yes, I can apologize for my tone in earlier posts, Dark Venusaur. Most of it was just an effort to emphasize that I'm not trying to argue with you for the sake of opposing you. When I mention my past experiences with scripts, it's to tell you that, yes, I've studied the field too. It's mainly a technique to establish the idea that we're on the same level here.

...Though I really didn't understand what you were referring to in your "It does sometimes" post.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
Well like I mentioned in my 1st post that I've learned this in Literacy class, so thats why I didn't want no one flamming me. Thats why I want this Thread Close because I am giving wrong advice as what I was told.
Someone Close this Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back