• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit Chat & Polls Feedback ft. PotW Feedback!

Honest

Hi!
Years
Hey CCP peeps, as you might know, Chit Chat & Polls has a weekly competition called the Poll of the Week, where we pit the 5 most interesting threads created in a particular week to fight for your vote to become that week's "Poll of the Week". This competition's latest run has lasted approximately 5 months now, and while it started off fairly well, it's common knowledge that voting nowadays has been very sparse. If I recall correctly, the last PotW had only 3 voters.

Andy and I had a discussion over the PotW's fate recently, and two main points came to mind: one; the main purpose of PotW was to give the then Other Voting Poll's section some excitement, since it then lacked the DCC and other goodies since the transition to Chit Chat & Polls. With the additions of all these goodies, it seems that the PotW competition idea has become rather moot.

However, we also know that the PotW was brought back in the first place because several users requested that it be brought back. We don't know where these people are now, but if they still are here, we don't want to throw out the competition, not when it can still be considered something worth having around.

Here's where you guys come in; we want to know what you think should be the PotW's fate. Do you think that we should still keep it around, or should it be let go and why? Any criticisms with how the competition is run is also acceptable. If you do want to keep it around, any recommendations for ideas would be greatly appreciated, and any tips would be appreciated in general. We're going to use the feedback we receive to come up with a final verdict on the PotW competition.

Feel free to post your feedback in this thread, or if you have to, PM either Andy (Shining Raichu) or myself, preferably both of us. Thank guys!

Edit: Oh, I nearly forgot, the emblem. I assure you guys, there is an emblem, and the winners will receive it. The problem is that Andy's the one who's working on it, but he's had some issues IRL that makes it so that he can barely access the internet. For that reason, the emblem has yet to be uploaded to the emblems list, so as of right now, we still can't hand them out. There will be one soon, though, trust me!

EDIT 2: This thread is now officially expanded to general section feedback! So let us know how we're doing and if there's anything you'd like to see changed, etc etc. Thanks for posting!

Last edited:

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Find a way to give the poll more prestige. I'll have to come back with proper ideas, but if you/Andy can't find a way to make POTW something that people actively want to participate in/get excited about, then you might as well abort the whole thing and cast it off into the bin.

droomph

weeb
Years
Honestly it's kinda just there. It's not bad, it's not good, it's not a mediocre accomplishment, but it isn't a big thing to get either.

I don't mind if it goes away or stays, but I would like to see it get a little more attention.

Maybe allow discussion in the voting thread, or encourage it more if it is?

Last edited:

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
I've voted in it since two or three weeks ago. Didn't know it existed till then.

I'm just interested in the emblem teehee

Belldandy

Years
So lack of advertising, basically? That's what I seem to be getting.

Yeah. Maybe if a poll or topic makes the voting list for that week, post in that topic with a referral link back to the Poll of the Week sticky? It'll advertise it more, maybe, because people will read it and click the link. If they like that particular thread, they'd probably take 2sec to click and submit their votes.

Honest

Hi!
Years
So you mean post in the thread candidate with something like "This thread's been selected as a PotW candidate! If you like this, vote in -this- thread!"?

If that's what you're getting at, I feel like that's sort of unnecessary, and that there are better ways to advertise a chosen thread. I mean, we do sticky the voting thread with the redirects to said threads. Imo, that's a better method of showing which threads are up for votes, seeing as the thread itself is a voting thread. A person would more likely glance at "Poll of the Week Voting Thread!" and click on it to see which threads they can vote for opposed to glancing over a thread's actually one of the candidates and possibly not realize, unless they click on the thread and find my post.

I guess that being said, perhaps we can include a prefix such as "PotW Candidate" for chosen threads, but I'm not sure if that's redundant or not, or if it'd help at all.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Maybe it's because it's each week? You could maybe make it Poll of the Month.

Belldandy

Years
The Poll of the Week Candidate idea might work...

I know I frequently search through most posts in a given topic before replying (so I don't come out redundant), so I don't think I'd miss a post inviting someone to vote for a particular thread. Any advertisement is advertisement after all.

You don't have to necessarily post it so directly. Maybe make it part of your own reply? I don't know. Just ideas :)

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Try to include threads in the Top 5 that promote discussion, instead of a simple 'post and go' attitude that Poll section has fostered over the years. As Sydian and I put it yesterday (what she said) was that the forum is called Chit Chat and Polls, threads should encourage lively chat between members. Therefore, as I said, these threads should be rewarded justly.

Honest

Hi!
Years
Ideas are good, keep them coming!

And I totally get what you're getting at, Chris. The thing is, we do try to go for those threads. Or at the very least avoid those post and dash threads. It's a little difficult in times where there are barely any threads created that fit that bill, but we do try. I personally feel that CCP members still haven't gotten that "chat" feel in the section yet. Which is understandable. They need to be broken though D;

Currently deliberating if Poll of the Month is an idea to even consider.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Poll of the Month is a better idea than a weekly poll, yeah. Scrap the weekly system and when POTM happens, expand the listings to 10 threads instead of five.

Honest

Hi!
Years
I was thinking 8, sorta as a compromise. But yeah PotM sounds like it could fair a lot better. Space between competitions give it a sort of meaning, something to actually compete over. Rather have 12 competitions in a year over 52! Less work for me!

I'mma discuss all this with Andy, cause the way I see it, PotM seems like a better idea, and we could still incorporate that PotM Candidate prefix if we wanted to. If you guys have anything else you'd like to recommend, we're all ears.

droomph

weeb
Years
Here's what I think you guys should do in the "post once" threads department.

I've said it once, I'll say it again. Try to show us the way. The reason is, is that we're all too scared of starting chit chat, and then we come back an hour later and we have a PM saying "stahpit" and possibly an infraction. If the leaders (mods and regulars) showed us what's "appropriate" in this forum, we'll follow because we all want to chat naturally anyways.

Like, for example, it wouldn't be "appropriate" in ROM hacking to give one-liners such as we do in the DCC because it's sort of a more "formal" and "scientific" forum, but it wouldn't be appropriate to take everything seriously in the DCC, because we're relaxed. At least relatively. And if you can't take a joke, then that's something that's inappropriate. And as such, give us your "line" so that we know we won't cross it.

So things like that.

And for the PotW, PotM sounds like at least a 4x more prestigious contest. There's a level of urgency. Such as the HotM vs HotY. Hack of the month, you think "hey, if I don't make this, I won't need to wait very long to try again". But Hack of the Year? OMG IT'S ONE WHOLE YEAR AND IT WON'T COME AGAIN FOR ANOTHER YEAR. The prize is delectable YESSSS

And for the voting, if you make this a bit more of a spectacle (not MMA spectacle, but just like "this comes once a month only!"), you guys will attract some attention, and people will feel compelled to participate in the voting.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Poll of the Week is far too frequent and Poll of the Month should help. Also, advertise, advertise, advertise! Changing the poll of the month's candidate's topic titles to include POTM Candidate (Please Vote) or something would be cool.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
I've said it once, I'll say it again. Try to show us the way. The reason is, is that we're all too scared of starting chit chat, and then we come back an hour later and we have a PM saying "stahpit" and possibly an infraction. If the leaders (mods and regulars) showed us what's "appropriate" in this forum, we'll follow because we all want to chat naturally anyways.

Like, for example, it wouldn't be "appropriate" in ROM hacking to give one-liners such as we do in the DCC because it's sort of a more "formal" and "scientific" forum, but it wouldn't be appropriate to take everything seriously in the DCC, because we're relaxed. At least relatively. And if you can't take a joke, then that's something that's inappropriate. And as such, give us your "line" so that we know we won't cross it.

What? Who is scared of starting chit chat? Who is getting infracted for starting chit chat? What is this? What are you going on about? Are you sure that this is something that applies to everyone, or just something that applies to you but you think it applies to everyone?
Uhhhh, I truly don't know what you're going on about, because I thought it was clear as to what is appropriate in this section of the forum, lol. Chit chat is fine, but don't go off on a completely different tangent to the topic???

Honest

Hi!
Years
This is PotW Feedback specifically, but if you have anything you'd like to recommend, I'm all ears via PM. My two cents though, just be normal. Reply to something someone else said, and usually it shouldn't a problem as long as it's not a complete tangent from the OP.

And I think I'm going to include a prefix for PotW Candidate, for sure. And by the looks of it, it seems like Poll of the Month just might happen!

droomph

weeb
Years
What? Who is scared of starting chit chat? Who is getting infracted for starting chit chat? What is this? What are you going on about? Are you sure that this is something that applies to everyone, or just something that applies to you but you think it applies to everyone?
Uhhhh, I truly don't know what you're going on about, because I thought it was clear as to what is appropriate in this section of the forum, lol. Chit chat is fine, but don't go off on a completely different tangent to the topic???

Well, maybe you aren't, but I know some new and shy people are. I rarely see it happening, so I'm always not sure.

just to clear up, no more talk to this subject I promise :)

Last edited:

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
What? There is a Poll of the Week? They vote? I didn't know this. Honest.

Anyway I agree with [supporter]droomph[/supporter] totally about the being-too-scared-to-start-a-thread part. Like when I made the thread about 'Your reaction when the staff stalks you' thread, I went to sleep directly after I made it, after which I went to school, so I had twelve full hours of being scared to death of getting infracted because the thread might be 'offensive'. So please excuse my paranoia. But the Poll Of The Week thing will surely motivate me to make more threads, yeah. Nice work!

Honest

Hi!
Years
I don't think that droomph was saying that people were afraid to start threads. He was saying people were afraid to post more than once.

Again, this thread is for feedback to the Poll of the Week. Please keep it that way. If you have some advice for CCP in general, feel free to PM myself of Shining Raichu, we'll make sure your voice is heard.

I'll be making an official announcement tomorrow, time permitting, on the new Poll of the Month.

Reactions: Her
Back