• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen All Things Sylveon

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I guess Branellope has a pretty good point there, as it's true you can tell almost every eeveelutions' type by just looking at it for 2 seconds. Which brings the following question: Did Nintendo design Sylveon the way they did to create all this hype and speculation about its type? (Which has worked more than well) Or does this mean there will be a new type we haven't seen yet, and that's why Sylveon doesn't seem to fit a type we would recognize?

Branellope

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
Years
Well Ribbons have been used in martial arts so it can be fighting, also it's color scheme matches the dragon tag of gen 3, etc. So it could really be a lot of things.
But that's a small aspect. Ribbons on a pink quadruped doesn't sound like a fighting type to me. And again, it's a small part and there's still doubt.
because gamefreak keep Sylveon's type as a secret for so long and that it not fit any type(unlike the other eeveelutions) I think it will be a new type.
Of course. Although I was talking to Serebii, using my clever wording to niggle some info out of him (he's good, he'd do well under torture) and he brought up the fact that Azurill's type was never revealed until release despite being revealed a year before RS, causing speculation. I have to say Azurill's type was a nice and odd surprise XD.
Now, he also said we'd likely learn Sylveon's type fairly soon. Another thing is that he didn't really comment on the Fairy type rumours (a while before this he said he knew more about XY than we did). This tells me Game Freak wanted to cause speculation before surprising everyone with a new type.
I guess Branellope has a pretty good point there, as it's true you can tell almost every eeveelutions' type by just looking at it for 2 seconds. Which brings the following question: Did Nintendo design Sylveon the way they did to create all this hype and speculation about its type? (Which has worked more than well) Or does this mean there will be a new type we haven't seen yet, and that's why Sylveon doesn't seem to fit a type we would recognize?
It's a natural human trait that can be applied to absolutely everything. We feel the need to fit everything into something we're familiar with. Alternative bands have been classified as a different genre, and people finding parts of Sylveon that they can explain and ignoring everything else.

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
Years
I wonder how can an Eevee evolve to Sylveon. By the looks of it... there should be a new evolution stone and a specific requirement within Eevee itself.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Game Freak/Nintendo has talked about a new feature called the "bonding system" though nothing really is known about that its possible it might affect evolution and may be how Eevee evolves into Sylveon.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Oh wow, i honestly haven't heard about it until just now.
Sounds pretty interesting, I wonder if it will be replacing the old friendship system or will just be included as a new gameplay mechanic. Either way, i guess it's pretty likely it will be how Eevee evolves into Sylveon!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
If it's a replacement for the old system with new additions then it's evolution method will probably be something else as it'll get in the way of Espeon and/or Umbreon evolving if it too is based on happiness/friendship.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
isn't the bond system just one of mr.xy's fake rumers?
if wrong can you please show me an article or something else about it?

No the bonding thing is from the original english trailer where the narrator says you can create bonds to strengthen your Pokemon. Mr. XY's was an item called the Bond Eye that was supposed to do some strange things.

I don't see Bond system replacing the friendship system because of how many Pokemon evolve by friendship and the fact that the bond is supposed to increase stats based on what the narrator says. With that I don't see it playing a part in Sylveon's evolution either. I'm going to guess its a new item native to the new region.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I don't see Bond system replacing the friendship system because of how many Pokemon evolve by friendship and the fact that the bond is supposed to increase stats based on what the narrator says. With that I don't see it playing a part in Sylveon's evolution either. I'm going to guess its a new item native to the new region.
And even ignoring Sylveon a moment...Espeon and Umbreon are friendship evolutions. There has to be a unique way to bring about Sylveon.

Cyclone

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Well if you look at it, Every new eeveelution had a new way to evolve
- The first 3 are stone evolution
- GSC introduced Friendship, and that's how you get Umbreon and Espeon
- Leafeon and Glaceon are Location based evos, a new concept introduced in Gen4.

So i guess whatever way he evolves, it will be something new to the game.

I'm really curious about this bonding system now and how much it can actually improve the pokes stats

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
So, checked out Pokejungle for the Smash review since I had to work for Smash...surprised no one posted this yet.

The hosts are testing which types Sylveon fits… what could it be?!
The hosts tested to see if Sylveon was Fighting – she failed.
Next they tested to see if she was strong against ice – she was!
She was strong against Ice, so they tested if she was Steel by using poison type on her – She wasn't resistant

So she's STRONG against Ice. Meaning she either SE hits Ice or is Resistant to it.

SE hits = Fighting, Fire, Steel, and Rock
Resists = Fire, Ice, Steel, Water

Ok from this we can sorta rule out three
Fire, Water, and Ice. Why? Because we already have these three.

Next, they tested her to see if she was Fighting. No. So scratch that off the list.

They tested her to see if she was Steel. She failed the poison resistance test so she is not steel.

This leaves Rock........

Ok so far Rock is the only type on the list that hasn't been tested.

Existing type wise, I severely doubt this. So she has to be a new type. But if she is a new type, what was posted earlier about her being Fairy is wrong. Or at least the basic info is incorrect. Fairy is apparently SE or Resists Ice if it exists. If she isn't Fairy she is something else.

This all ignores the possibility that they shifted the type chart around as well. So we have 3 types we know that Sylveon is not and a more solid lead on what she can possibly be.

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
Years
You know this crossed my mind and I can't believe I didn't put this yet...

I think Sylveon is a gender-exclusive eevolution, because from its physical appearance, I think it's female and I think in order to obtain a Sylveon, they need a female Eevee, but the problem is... how can this work because friendship is already in use... does it need to hold a specific item?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
You know this crossed my mind and I can't believe I didn't put this yet...

I think Sylveon is a gender-exclusive eevolution, because from its physical appearance, I think it's female and I think in order to obtain a Sylveon, they need a female Eevee, but the problem is... how can this work because friendship is already in use... does it need to hold a specific item?

Seriously hope it isn't Female only just because then its the same as Vespiquen. Combee and Eevee have the same gender Ratio and Vespiquen isn't really worth the effort to hunt down a female combee. Gender exclusives as in plural can be ruled out since the movie is supposed to showcase "all" Eevee Evolutions and it only shows 8. It has a good chance that it is normal ratio cause if its 100% Female I'm petitioning for Gamefreak to make Espeon, Vaporeon, Glaceon, and Leafeon female only because they are just as feminin with very little masculine qualities to be found. Umbreon and Jolteon should be made 100% Male as well.

Munchlax11

Munch?
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 15, 2014
I really can't imagine them not giving away Sylveon's type after so long, if it isn't a new type. This also makes me think that the legendaries could possibly be new types as well since they are holding off on giving up their types as well? I mean especially since they gave up the new pokemons' type revealed in the corocoro scans so easily, it just makes me think they would have already given up the typings if they were not new types. I don't think Light or Fairy types will be a thing though. I also think it would be hard to introduce new types after 5 generations of pokemon. On the other hand though, why else would they keep these pokemons' type a secret for so long?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I really can't imagine them not giving away Sylveon's type after so long, if it isn't a new type. This also makes me think that the legendaries could possibly be new types as well since they are holding off on giving up their types as well? I mean especially since they gave up the new pokemons' type revealed in the corocoro scans so easily, it just makes me think they would have already given up the typings if they were not new types. I don't think Light or Fairy types will be a thing though. I also think it would be hard to introduce new types after 5 generations of pokemon. On the other hand though, why else would they keep these pokemons' type a secret for so long?

Because they can. Sylveon plays an important role in its mini movie. So they don't want to ruin it with possible spoilers and apparently its type could be a possible spoiler. As for legends. I don't see why they should have to. Sure Zekrom and Reshiram were shown right off, Kyurem's forms took a while to be released if I remember right. Most thought that Kyurem would lose its Dragon typing for Zekrom and Reshiram's primary typings of Electric and Fire. I wasn't here for Gen 4, but from what my friends had told me they took a bit of time for revealing as well.

They don't have to give us the type if they don't want to. They think its building suspense and unlike how we usually respond internationally, the main focus usually has a positive reaction despite the length for mundane types.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
Screw it I'm on the new type bandwagon now. Why would they hide its type for so long if it were an existing one? It's mundane marketing if it was so it should be a new type.

Smash's findings seem to contradict the new rumors though. Based of Fairy type's strengths/weaknesses.

Back