• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Silver hack: Pokémon Dark Energy - Beta 5 Released

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years

What happens if you mix a traditional Pokemon game with an RPG such as Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger?
The answer is right in front of you...

Pokémon Dark Energy
Hack of: Pokemon Silver (U)

Pokémon Dark Energy is an RPG game that is implemented as a rom hack on top of Pokemon Silver.
The gameplay concentrates on development of the story rather than your usual Pokemon adventure where you travel from town to town collecting badges, and eventually, challenge the Elite Four.

See Storyline and Features sections for details. ReadMe covers other interesting things to know.

Storyline

Welcome to the world of Suden!
It's year 1571, and it's been around a thousand years since the great war, The Crisis, ended. The world has had a long lasting peace, but now, shady character Maxime has founded an organization for his mysterious plans - to collect magical Elemental Orbs that no one else seems to know about.

A year later, archaelogists, working for the university of The Capital, discover an interesting writing in Rocky Mountain. The writing describes the same Elemental Orbs Maxime had already known about. One thing leads to another, and eventually, the main character and his classmate end up journeying to the Rocky Mountain in order to help the university do research on the Elemental Orbs. Little did they know, their simple task was yet to become an epic, and hazardous adventure..

Features
  • "RPG game based on Pokemon"
  • Unique storyline
  • Optional sidequests alongside the main story development
ReadMe

POKéMON DARK ENERGY BETA 5
Pokemon Dark Energy offers a unique gaming experience by mimicing that of Final Fantasy series. There are lots of quests and the game focuses on development of the story rather than "traveling from town to town". Most gameplay related things are yet borrowed from the original game the hack is based on, Pokemon Silver.

Below, you can find information you might want to know before starting to play. This information contains both changes to the way the game engine works, and some other matters you might otherwise miss if you didn't notice them being mentioned here.

Sidequests
You can finish 8 sidequests alongside the progression of the main story. A rumor is that if you complete at least 3 of them, something might be unlocked.. Finishing all the sidequests doesn't serve for any special reason, at least not yet. But each sidequest gives a handy reward on its own!

Pokemon Changes
  • Trade pokemon always obey
  • "Trade-evolution" Pokemon evolve either by leveling them up, or by giving them proper evolution stones.
  • Eevee and its evolutions have had lots of changes. These changes are revealed in the game itself.
  • Magikarp evolves by Water Stone, and learns a few extra moves. One of the sidequests involves using Magikarp, and thus these changes have been done.
  • The base stats of RBY and GSC starter Pokemon have been weakened a little bit.
  • Goldeen and Seaking do not learn Waterfall.
  • The upper forms of Pokemon, which evolve by evolution stones, learn the same moves their first forms do. As an example, both Pikachu and Raichu learn Thunder although only Pikachu learns Thunder in original Pokemon Silver. Thus if you obtain a stone evolution Pokemon, you may evolve it even if that Pokemon hasn't learned its best moveset yet.
Move tutors
Three early gym leaders have Pokemon with special moves they can't normally learn. You are however able to get the same Pokemon with the exact same moves if you go to see the leaders carrying those Pokemon.

FAQ
If you get stuck, you should try talking to people around the area, and see, if someone can give you advice, how to progress forward. But if you run out of options, you should check the FAQ below.

Credits
There are loads of people who have helped by various means over the years by testing, drawing graphics, giving advice, and so on. I can't remember everyone who I should give credit for, but I tried to list some important names over the years.

• BlueEmerald came up with loads of grammar and text improvements for early parts of the hack. He also drew some overworld sprites I have used.
  • Chamber implemented most of the current title screen in use.
  • Poketto, and Roareye designed some battle sprites.
  • Pum ported lots of midi music tracks to be playable on G/S/C music engine and has let me use the ones I have liked to.
  • bisball, jwibagi and plenty of others have helped with testing, and coming up with new ideas.
  • Tauwasser, and Luna gave lots of advice back in the day to get started.
Apart from everyone above, I'd like to thank all my other testers, and the following guys on the list. Getting help has been awesome!

Graphical help
  • Solar
  • Cheestendo
  • Pia Carrot
  • Ben
ASM help
  • IIMarckus
  • Koolboyman
  • Sawakita
Tool makers
  • Lin
  • Harrison
  • score_under
And of course you for having interest in my rom hack! Hope you have fun time playing it!

Do yo need help to get the hack running?
You'll first need a Pokémon Silver (U) rom, and an ips patching utility such as Lunar IPS. Open the utility, and apply the Dark Energy Beta 5.01.ips patch onto Pokémon Silver (U) rom. Then you can play it via any GBC emulator.

Ips-patching utilities
Pokémon Silver (U) rom is something you can find by googling.

FAQ

FAQ contains some spoilers, and it's thus hidden by default.
Can you think of something else that should be covered in FAQ? Let me know for example here in the thread.

Spoiler:

Screenshots

Videos

The "Battle Simulator" functionality has gone over lots of changes since that video was recorded. But the video does give a general idea of the functionality.

Bugs

Beta 5.01 is an almost bug free version. Most bugs are so minor they don't really affect the gaming experience. There are however lots of small grammar errors out there due to the fact that I, as the creator, am not a native English speaker.

Have you noticed errors you'd like to report? First check if the error you noticed is already listed here. If it's not, you can for example mention it here in the thread.
Support banners

Credits:
  • Luna - Creating the support banner
  • Poketto - Battle sprites of Ashlyn and Goon
  • Cheestendo - Battle sprite of Cactus / Main character
Current version: Beta 5.01
Most up-to-date release from March 2019. Unlike originally available Beta 5.00, this one doesn't crash in player's room on My OldBoy emulator. No other changes between these two versions have been made.
This release offers hours and hours of gameplay, but the hack isn't complete yet. See FAQ for extra details.

Other rom hacks of mine

In case you're interested, you can find my other (though much worse) hacks in this website.
Also, thank you for your interest in Pokemon Dark Energy :)

Attachments

• Dark Energy Beta 5.01.ips
    389.8 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
More than 16 gyms? Cool! Are some of them going to use more than one type?

Lots of other boss fights? Are you gonna fight Rocket Executives, wild Pokemon bosses, and other cool stuff like that? I'm definitely looking forward to this!

GliscorOwnz

DatxGuyxJosh
Years
  • Seen Aug 24, 2013
I Agree With ClassicCartoonsFtw.
16 Gyms ? Very Unique.
But The Storyline Is Okay ..

EDIT: Thanks Miksy91 .

Last edited:

miksy91

Years
More than 16 gyms? Cool! Are some of them going to use more than one type?

Lots of other boss fights? Are you gonna fight Rocket Executives, wild Pokemon bosses, and other cool stuff like that? I'm definitely looking forward to this!
Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if there actually are more than 16 gyms in the final version - it will depend on how many towns/cities there will be in the eastern side of Suden.
You won't gain badges in the game though so it doesn't really matter how many of them there will be in the final version.

By playing through the following beta 2, you'll realize there will be other boss fights too ;)

When I Try To Click " New Game " It Takes Me Back To The Title Screen, HELP ?
You must have used some other rom file than Silver (U) 1.0.
There should be an option to go either to "Start" or "Options".

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2012
I've been following this on Youtube as HarlenSama, and I just wanted to say that I support this as much as I support all other Miksy hacks. Although, I think I'm going to wait until the final version comes out to play, no matter how long it takes, I just don't want there to be any more spoilers for me other than what's on this thread and on your videos until I can complete the game.

But, I am very excited for this and I don't care how long it takes, I support you 100 percent Miksy.

Years
Aww yeahh, good ole G/S/C hacks.

It's really nice to see how your hacking skills have improved since Crystal World. I'll go ahead and try this right now :D

miksy91

Years
Too bad this hack doesn't seem to interest most people around here...
Perhaps it will change once I get the beta 2 out.

Anyway, I've finished putting in almost everything I want for the next beta.
Only things I've to do now is to fix a couple of things and play it through to check there are no bugs etc.

Now, it looks like that I'll get the release up until 27th November (because I don't have time to hack on week).

Years
  • Seen Jan 17, 2016
I played it and it was pretty good. There's nothing to do yet in the first beta, but it'll get around. Don't worry Miksy, people will love your hack. If they don't, I'll keep on rooting for you. It's very interesting because there are good battles, you can get good items, there are a few good hidden items, and it's pretty cool. It's awesome how the second one is coming so fast. So yeah. >_>

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
hey miksy,its me. If you need help with graphic works,i can help. By this time,im making crystal/silver sprite recolors using b/w palettes,and removing grainy style. And i'm glad if you are interested.

miksy91

Years
Thanks for the comments although I haven't gotten much feedback on the hack itself.
Anyway, I've beta tested the hack through and will fix a couple of bugs next.
After that, I'm going to test it again and if it works fine, I'll think about releasing beta 2 this weekend ;)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 18, 2017
I have one complaint. Judging by the town map, don't you think that this region is a little too linear? It's just a gigantic loop around the map.

miksy91

Years
I have one complaint. Judging by the town map, don't you think that this region is a little too linear? It's just a gigantic loop around the map.
I guess you're right, I'll see what I can do to the right part of it (because left has been already been done and I won't change it anymore).
Anyway...

Beta 2 has been released !!!

Yes, I've finally finished and beta-tested Beta 2 of Dark Future and the hack should work properly. There are some minor bugs in which palette changes oddly (due to Morning, Day and Night palettes) but I didn't run into any bigger problems than that.

Anyway, Beta 2 is approximately twice the length of Beta 1, perhaps even more. Besides, there will be new major events and gym leaders to be fought.

Download Beta 2 in the first post and comment how it is when you've tested it !

Update

Not many of you noticed it yet but Beta 2 was released today.
However, I just "received" a surprise add-on to beta 2 and that's why, I'm taking the patch out for the time being. New beta 2 (Beta 2.1 ?) will likely be released tomorrow ;)

Last edited:

miksy91

Years
Beta 2.1 is finally here !
Downloadlink can be found in the first post.

Play it and reply what you think about it !

Alignment

Revered with the stars
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
Congratulations on the new beta! Hopefully we'll find it entertaining :)

Back