• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Atla Adventures (GameMaker)

Rexhunter99

C/C++ Programmer
Years
  • Age 32
  • Atla
  • Seen Sep 14, 2016
Hello all, been ages since I came around here but anyway a friend of mine encouraged me to get back "on the scene" as some might say.

"Back in the day" I was one of the more well known programmers/game developers on the Game Maker Community forums developing accurate Pokemon Engines, my friends Jext and Game Fortress who were also widely known and accomplished people developed JextEngine and Pokemon Twilight respectively, I haven't heard peep from either of them sadly for some time.

I am known (or not) to be the lead programmer and developer behind Project Palladium (formerly Project Platinum) a GSC remake in FRLG style graphics. To date I believe both myself and Game Fortress are the only people to have managed to make a pokemone engine from scratch and populate the game world all the way up to the second gym, including many core features of the original games, though don't quote me as I haven't been around for some time.

Now what I am about to present to you are alpha engine screenshots of my latest iteration of the Pokemon engine, developed in Game Maker 8.1 (GML) though I've been considering porting it to C++ with OpenGL as the graphics API for some time as those are my language and API of choice.

Gallery:
http://imgur.com/a/27gK4#0

I'm afraid you will have to click into the Imgur gallery, I lack the sufficient image manipulation tools to be able to stitch all the images together for forum format.

Currently the engine provides:
  • Cell 16x16 Movement
  • Running/Walking
  • Robust dialogue system
  • Various game menus
  • World Transitions through outside areas to interiors of buildings
  • NPCs randomly walking about, gazing around, looking in one direction all the time
  • Bare bones event/scripting system
  • Trainer NPCs that see the player and approach them (cell based, all scripted and timed correctly)
  • Surfing capability (no HM yet, infact Pokemon aren't even properly implemented)
  • Basic Pokemon data structure generation
  • BGM Management and transitioning

And possibly others I have neglected to mention. I have a battle engine and various other sub systems split off as separate code bases (easier to debug) as well though they need some serious re-coding and optimising since I made them 2 years ago.

I'm intending to make a game based off a fan-fiction I wrote quite some time ago, I can't replicate it exactly, it would break certain basic rules of RPG gameplay the way Pokemon games set them up (too much personalisation and giving the player a background not of their own doing)

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
Other than the obvious reasons of much better ability to code in a proper engine... why do you say that?

Because I hate gamemaker and I think it's stupid and useless, it should not be used for full fledged games or engines. Programming languages will alway be superior to game maker.

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
I've attempted to make a Pokemon engine in GameMaker lots of times before. I'm interested in how you would do it. I don't think you should do it in C++. You would lose all of those editors and it would take 5 times longer to make.

Rexhunter99

C/C++ Programmer
Years
  • Age 32
  • Atla
  • Seen Sep 14, 2016
I wouldn't be so worried about editors as I'm skilled in OpenGL and Win32 & COM programming, like I said earlier, those are my API and language of choice. In fact a friend and I are writing an operating system as a hobby, kinda hair pulling but fun none-the-less. Anyway back on track, Game Maker can be thought of as a proof of concept phase/platform, its working well for me now so I wont be abandoning it overnight.

Finished the overworld scripted event system, and toyed around with making some cool little follow me walkthroughs and what not, also begin moving the battle system in so I can get to scripting the lab and whatnot, also spent about an hour or so discussing with a friend of mine some possible ways to rebalance the pokemon out so there's no, or very few game breaking pokemon and so people can play with their favorites. One way was to change how stats are raised by having trainers specifically train a pokemon's stat effectiveness eg; attack by using physical moves to increase it.

CrossZero

Master Bonder
Years
Well, this engine is going to be very good if you finish it, cause what is alredy done, is awesome and beautiful!!! You are great!!!!

I hope to see this proyect finished

Se you later!​

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
Because I hate gamemaker and I think it's stupid and useless, it should not be used for full fledged games or engines. Programming languages will alway be superior to game maker.

I agree with this about gamemaker, and GML is sloppy and feels incomplete. However I like that he has done so far and I dont know if porting to C++ would be beneficial

Years
  • Seen Sep 6, 2013
As I use Gamemaker, I am very interested in this. Even if I never make a Pokémon fangame, it could turn out to be useful for something else.

Last edited:

FirEmerald

Pokemon reverse engineer
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
You use Gamemaker too?
I was wondering if you would like to help me make my game?
I've been working alone, and am having trouble scripting a smooth transition between overworlds. And the very very rare occasion where two people walk onto the same tile at the same (and I mean EXACT same) time. and I feel like there is something amiss with the battle damage calculation, but I just can't figure it out.
other than that, the only major thing holding me back is the monotonous task of setting the rest of the pokemon base stats, images, moves, item images, person images, tilesets(8 by 8, the most tiring process), rooms, and move scripts. And adding the move pp, descriptions, pokedex data, exp rates, item uses, descriptions, and costs, and item types (key item, tm/hm, battle, ect.). Is there an easier way to do this w/o external resources(so that people don't mess with them).

Back