• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
Lol I thought Hamchu is a ham version of Pikachu xD
The tiles are nice, so are the maps. Good luck with this, un-capitalized blueguy.

blueguy

No capitalization required. ;D
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 20, 2013
Is it just me, or does Hamchu resemble Oruchuban Ebichu? Look it up on YouTube if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Aww, cute! XD I mostly based Hamchu on a pic I found on google, plus, I took some cues from Hamtaro, since he's so adorable.

I always hate to be the bearer of an opinion that seems contradictory to everything else, but nobody has mentioned it yet, so... Don't you think it's a bit hypocritical to call people out for using Essentials, then make a game with it?

You may not be borrowing tiles, but it looks like (from what you said) you don't support using Essentials.

Other than that, I like the fakemon: a little too cute in my opinion, but the effort is there. The swimming system is intriguing, if not a little broken. If you can swim on water instead of having to wait until the middle of the game to get surf, then how will you create obstacles for the player, if not by water? And the maps are good, but a bit on the small side. For example, Periwinkle Hill is covered up by trees...

I like cute stuff. : P Most of those are basic stages too, so they'll evolve into tougher looking Pokémon. With swimming, you're only going to be able to swim on calm water. You can't swim in the ocean. You'll need to surf. Periwinkle is pretty forested, I realize. That's the one thing I need to work on with maps: I tend to fill them up.

As for what I said, I don't object to Pokémon Essentials! I think it's awesome! That's why it bothers me when every other project seems to show no actual work towards anything playable, simply bad maps, with bad grammar, and a bad plot, and they all use tiles and sprites they didn't even take the time to make. It says to me "I just took someone else's tileset, made a bad map in five minutes, and took a picture." Where are the ideas? Where is the actual work towards making a playable game?

You should tell him what is lacking so he can improve on them.
Exactly! Yes, it would be a lot more helpful to get specific advice. I am totally open to any suggestions or opinions. As I've said, my fakemon in particular are not the best, so any help improving them is welcome.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
Great Fakémon.
Arcticub and Hamchu are so cute! <3
And yay, Platinum styled Eevee~ <333

I'm looking forward to playing this.
Good luck~

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2023
Will you be using any old pokemon in your game (I see you got an eevee in it)
Nice sprite for Prof Hawthorn, the arms looks a little "thin" though.
Nice swimming feature. Will you be able to swim in any water?
And... I must say it once again... the maps looks so cool!

Likewise

Bye.
Years
and they all use tiles and sprites they didn't even take the time to make.

That's a bit unfair, you can't just generalize people and a lot of people have little or no artistic talent when it comes to pixel art.

Other than that, this game is wonderful, it reminds me of the old GSC games, which I loved. You're spriting style leaves me truly awstruck.
Now the maps, I have nothing to critisize except that, you should never put grass in a town.
It's amazing the details that you have worked into the sprites and tiles, I love the small different features you've put into the npc's that make them look like real civilians.
The fakemon are okay, but they seem a bit blocky at times, I won't go further in that since I'm not a fakemon spriter myself.

Great job so far!
I hope to see more!

blueguy

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 20, 2013
That's a bit unfair, you can't just generalize people and a lot of people have little or no artistic talent when it comes to pixel art.

Other than that, this game is wonderful, it reminds me of the old GSC games, which I loved. You're spriting style leaves me truly awstruck.
Now the maps, I have nothing to critisize except that, you should never put grass in a town.
It's amazing the details that you have worked into the sprites and tiles, I love the small different features you've put into the npc's that make them look like real civilians.
The fakemon are okay, but they seem a bit blocky at times, I won't go further in that since I'm not a fakemon spriter myself.

Great job so far!
I hope to see more!

That's really nice of you. Thanks! About the grass: You'll notice that next to that mansion there is a fenced off area with exotic trees. For a fee, the owner of this garden will let you stroll about, and you can catch rare Pokémon there. I wouldn't put grass in a town for no reason! :P

Also, I realize that everyone has different talents. I think it's great to work together, and what-have-you. But it's all relative. If a person isn't going to be creating any new visuals for their game, what else are they doing? You know? That's what I meant to say.

Will you be using any old pokemon in your game (I see you got an eevee in it)
Nice sprite for Prof Hawthorn, the arms looks a little "thin" though.
Nice swimming feature. Will you be able to swim in any water?
And... I must say it once again... the maps looks so cool!

Yes, of course! So far, you can find Glameow, Caterpie, Hoothoot, and Spinarak (and then Bluebrr and Hamchu) on Route C1. A girl in the Primrose Pokémon Center will trade you a Sporrow for a Spinarak. I think that's all. And Amy's Eevee may be a placeholder. I'm deciding whether or not I want her to have one of the Starters. Blaire will have the opposite type Starter as usual, seeing as she is your "real" rival, although I aim to make it that both are challenging to fight against. I had this idea the other day that different choices you make should shape how Amy's team develops... Like, I dunno... you do certain things and she decides she really wants to specialize in Water-types...

As for the Prof.'s sprite, looking at it just now, I totally agree. I want to to tweak her shoes too.

Right now, for swimming, you can swim in shallow water.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2023
Lol, cool!
I see that in Primrose City there is a Roselia Statue, it looks nice, will you be creating a forest?
i am a fairly good Pokemon Recolorer so I could help you create new varieties of Pokemon if you want.
For example... A Caterpie with a darker shade of green on its skin. :classic:

Eltono Burn

I Love Cats!
Years
Ohh... nice game your making there BlueBoy!
I just love your mapping techniques, it makes the towns looks so natural and quiet.
Some of your fakemons looks so cute! <3

sherm

The Other Guy
Years
  • Seen Mar 3, 2011
Wow for a on off thing it looks like you have been workin on that day in and day out. I hope my game looks that good at some point.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
Hamchu is the cutest thing but the other sprites need work.

blueguy

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 20, 2013
Hamchu is the cutest thing but the other sprites need work.

Thanks! I'm always looking to improve my Pokémon sprite work, so if you have some specific suggestions on what I can change, or just what seems off in general, I'd love to hear them.

Wow for a on off thing it looks like you have been workin on that day in and day out. I hope my game looks that good at some point.

Thanks a lot! That's really nice of you.

I haven't had a whole bunch of time the past few days, but I've been continuing to work on Primrose City. All the lights are set up, so it looks really cool at night. I have a few more things to finish up in Primrose, such as the garden, and one of the houses, but aside from that it's all good! Then I'll start work on Chiffon Woods.

Additionally, I scrapped the region map I showed off last time. Last time, I didn't put a whole lot of thought into the layout of my region; I simply sprited up a shape and slapped cities and routes onto it, but I've put a lot of thought into it this time, and I really like the redesign. I'm going to post it, labeled with all the towns, routes, forests, caves etc. in a few days.

Also, I've been working on new Pokémon, including the Fire-type Starter, Fanglow. Actually, it's a Fire/Poison-type. My sketch is all finished, so I'm going to scan it and try to make it look Sugimori-style with photo-editing bling for shizzle. XD

Anyways... : P

blue.png

That's the current sprite for Bluebrr, and if you guys think it's shitty then I think I'm gonna use the move Explosion, and give up. XD

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2023
blue.png

That's the current sprite for Bluebrr, and if you guys think it's shitty then I think I'm gonna use the move Explosion, and give up. XD
That sprite looks fine, nothing to fix there.
And I can't wait to see Chiffon woods, hopefully its gonna look eerie and creepy and not like the peaceful towns you made :classic:
(But I still like the peaceful towns =D)

Atomic Reactor

only thinkg i dont like about the sprite is its wings position. shouldnt they be more behind the bird?
otherwise its hot :]

PoKéMaKeR1

Pokemon Rancher creator!
Years
@: HOF
Because he is not allowed to revive old threats that's why (november 11th 2008, is the last post date)..
So this is the best solution, else he would be breaking some rules :)​

Nice game btw Blueguy, it looks really promising!
Keep up the good work!​

PoKéMaKeR​

Hall Of Famer

Born as Hall of Famer
Years
@: HOF
Because he is not allowed to revive old threats that's why (november 11th 2008, is the last post date)..
So this is the best solution, else he would be breaking some rules :)​

Nice game btw Blueguy, it looks really promising!
Keep up the good work!​

PoKéMaKeR​

This doesn't make sense at all. People should be permitted to revive their own threads at any time they want...

PoKéMaKeR1

Pokemon Rancher creator!
Years
This doesn't make sense at all. People should be permitted to revive their own threads at any time they want...

It may seem unlogical to you but sorry:

Threads can only be "revived" within a month.
A thread that has gone past an approximate month may not be posted in
. For restarting topics, create a new thread.

So maybe that's clear now?

PoKéMaKeR

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
I'm pretty sure for this section they make an exception for the creator to revive the old thread. I remember reading that awhile back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back