• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever quit Pokemon?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
lets see... after starting with the Red Version... i was hooked, moved up to Gold Version (i did play yellow and crystal, while my brother played blue and silver) I was super pleased... but when the 3rd gerneration came out and I could not trade my charizard and mewtwo over... I just got pissed... it was getting rediculous... ill be honest... i have no clu how many pokemon there are right now... I only care about 251 of them ;)

I piddled on my cellphone emulator with some of the gba ones but never completed any...
black and white came out and I did play through them because they promised a new generation not just a rehash of the old games... and it delivered... a new styled story line... i enjoyed it... also the fact that I knew none of these new pokemon helped the expierience... black 2 and white2 were equally satisfactory...

I am excited for x and y...

but I still stand by its gotten ridiculous... notice ther gotta catch em all slogan is gone... cause... well you cant catch em all... its stupid... i ENJOYED catching em all... thats y I played... now I play thru the story and thats the end... which is good for black and white cause there is a story... one that you have to read to keep up with... not just, beat ther gym leaders become the champion your rival is a meaniehead... oh and kick team rockt/magma/aquas butt when you see them...

so yes I quit pokemon for several years... because the point of the game (for me) shifted... it just took them this long to catch up to my way of thinking...

dragonfly_dust

Look at my avatar! Nuff said.
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
I played Yellow and Gold but I totally skipped 3rd gen when it came out. It wasn't until Diamond did I get back into Pokemon.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I quit twice, actually :) .

I was introduced to the franchise when I was eleven, with Pokémon Blue. Loved it, played it like crazy, annoyed my parents so that they would buy me the other versions of essentially the game same... then Gen 2 came out and it was on all over again. By the time Gen 3 arrived, my parents had enough and I was stuck playing on the PC :) .

The first time I quit was after playing some Gen 3 on an emulator. To be honest, at first, I hated it. I've been told back then that Gen 3 couldn't connect with Gen 2, and not knowing anything about Regional and National Dexes, when I saw Treecko, Torchic and Mudkip in the Pokédex where Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle were supposed to be, I was upset. I thought they completely remade the franchise and threw the old Pokémon out for good (thus, my reaction when I saw Zubat was: "THIS is what they kept?"). I thought the game dragged, with routes being so long and everything... but the final straw, and I know this is petty but I was 15 back then, was a Pokémon design... I quit the game with the intention of never playing it again the moment I saw Lunatone.

A few months later, my friend who gave me the ROMs sent me a save file with the complete national dex and my faith in the franchise was restored :) . I was stuck playing with the emulator though.

The second time was when Gen 4 came around. The DS emulators available back then were too slow for me to enjoy the game, so I just never got to play it. And by the time they became fast enough, I stopped caring.

Fast forward to a year and a half ago when I finished college, got a job, and decided to start a retro videogame collection. After buying some old consoles and games, I got a SNES cart with an internal battery (used for saving games back in the day) about to die, and decided to learn how to replace internal batteries. My first test subject was the good old Pokémon Blue. I managed to replace the battery and then decided to try the Mew Glitch. And after that I just kept playing. When I was done, I replaced the batteries in all other Gen 1 and 2 carts. And then, slowly, I started ordering the games I missed online: Gen 3, Gen 4, the remakes, and even managed to score a DS Lite in a great condition. Ultimately, I bought Gen 5 and a 3DS. So here I am, fully equipped and definitely back (and definitely excited about Gen 6) .

Last edited:

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
The period from DP all the way to BW. That was of course due to a lack of a DS, so I dunno if it counts.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I've never quit the franchise entirely. In some way or the other, Pokémon has always been a prominent part of my life, whether it was playing the games or watching the anime. I would say the TCG is the only part of Pokémon I have given up on completely.
I sometimes take breaks from playing the games, like most recently after Black and White came out I sort of just stopped for a while, but nope, I've never quit Pokémon.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
I took a hiatus when the Johto series ended and the Hoenn and Sinnoh series aired. I hadn't watched Pokémon full-time since 2002 and through 2003-2009 is when I missed out on the show. I was going through personal problems and high school around that time, so I inadvertently stopped watching the show but still played the games. Another reason was when in 2008, my Crystal version for my Gameboy Color dried up and erased all my data, so that also was a cut-off point. When I became very ill and bedridden in the summer of 2009, that's when I started watching Pokémon again. I love it that my interest in Pokémon has been sparked again. I can't wait for the new ones to be released this fall.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I've never actually 'quit' Pokemon but there will be months where I won't play it much, but I usually pick it back up whenever new games come out or I restart one of my older games.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
Yes, multiple times and then I relapse and play again. Lately what I do is replay through the story again...my current one is Black.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
Yep, between Gen 3 and the start of Gen 5. One day I found my gameboy and a copy of gold in my closet, and ended up getting back into it. Played through Gold, then picked up a DSi with White, that's were it all started again. Within 2 months I was through B/W, HG, Pl, and a copy of Emerald on an SP that I borowed from a friend

Years
I Just came back to pokemon :D the last game i played before Quitting was pokemon Fire Red, i just found other things interestingfor some years (i thought pokemon was childish and i wanted to be an Adult...) but then i found Pokemon again and said to my self that i can enjoy whatever i want to, even though pokemon may be childish. my friends think that, but i just imagine my sandslash Rips everything in pieces with Slash, with the blood spraying out of the enemies :D not so childish anymore......

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I never quit it, but I did give away all my Pokémon stuff (except cards and games) away sometime during middle school. Sometime in high school or college, I started to regret giving it all away. My collection has grown since, but there are still some things I used to have that I still wish I had, like my talking Mew doll, Squirtle candy dispenser, and Togepi lollipop topper.

However, I did quit the anime. I lost interest in it sometime during Pokémon Advanced. I still watch the movies, though.

Last edited:

Toutebelle

Banned
Years
I quit twice.

The first was in 2001, when I was 9. By then I thought I had gotten too old. I remember back in 1999 and 2000 almost every kid I knew liked Pokemon. Then, around 2001, so many of them quit. I was one of them. I didn't even think about Pokemon much for two years.

In 2003, I got interested in again after playing Pokemon Gold. Since I had a GBA, I was able to get Pokemon Sapphire. I also got LeafGreen when it came out. However, in 2006 I started to fall behind since I didn't have a DS. I gradually lost interest in Pokemon, and by 2007 it was over again.

However, in 2009 I joined FanFiction.Net and saw there were many Pokemon fics. I had obtained my first DS in Christmas of 2008, so now I had something to play it on. In October of 2009, I purchased a used Pokemon Pearl copy. I got Platinum as a graduation gift in 2010, and I got Pokemon Black the day it came out. I'm now on Black 2. So far, I've been a consistent fan since 2009.

I did quit the anime after the Orange Island arc. A few years later, I would occasionally watch the Johto arc in secret. I quit for good by the time Ash & co. reached Clair.

I quit the trading card game in 2001. I still have the old cards stowed away.

Margaery Tyrell

Growing Strong
Years
  • Age 25
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 28, 2018
Well, I doubt I will ever officially stop doing anything Pokemon-related.

However, I do sometimes have hiatus-es from anything related to Pokemon, but, eventually, I get back into Pokemon again. It's just a cycle, really.

RenegadeClyde

....'-'.
Years
I've quit once. Me and my friend, when younger, loved Pokémon more than anything. We used to play together, make challenges and bets, trade pokémon...we even played some kind of "Pokémon rpg" with other kids. (Everyone had a little book to store information, like Pokémon, items and money.)

But then when 4th generation came out, he said he wouldn't buy a DS to get the new games and that had lost interest in Pokémon, and stopped. I've done the same thing when I noticed I was the only one that still had a passion for the games, animes, mangas...But then, somewhere around 2009, I was watching TV, and a Pokémon episode started, and I remembered why I liked it so much.

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2016
Yeah after ruby and sapphire i lost interest but then i bought white 2 and now im a pokemaniac again.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I started to lose my interest in Pokemon late last year and I've been playing since 2000, I've started to play again today though. I only play the games by the way, I rarely watch the series and if I do I watch the original season. I have all the DS mainstream games, yet I haven't even played half of them, I also haven't finished B/W2. But I'll soon change that! ;D

stp

ShootThePuck
Years
All the time. I'll take periodic brakes for months and months and then just start playing again all of a sudden.

Back