• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Did You Ever Get Emotional in Mystery Dungeon?

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
For those who have played the mystery dungeon series, most would say its an enjoyable series. Even tho I haven't played every single pokemon spin-off first hand, the PMD series is and will most likely always be my favorite pokemon spin-offs. But my question is; Have you ever reached a point in the game where you were struck emotionally, even a tiny bit? I have, and i'm not ashamed to say, that I've cried(like really, really badly) at certain scenes in all three games i've played so far.

*SPOLIERS* For Which Game and at which scenes, are below:

Red Rescue Team:
Spoiler:

Explorers of Time:
Spoiler:

Explorers of the Sky:
Spoiler:

So what do you guys think? Were you sad? What parts? Which games did you play? And what are you thoughts on the scenes and the story? What are your thoughts on your partner in-story? Mystery Dungeon - Only games i've cried over...somewhat hysterically.

dcjboi

With Quiet Courage
Years
  • Seen Sep 27, 2022
The only game throughout the franchise that I cried for the intended purpose. Played through all of the series and I feel the second installment was the best out the series Sky/Darkness/Time. Maybe even the best out of the entire franchise for me, and it was something new. I just hope that the new installment will live up to the expectations I have for it (which I don't think it will gameplay-wise but maybe story wise). The story had me cry multiple times in both stories although I barely remember the first game but I felt more emotionally involved with the second installment.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I got emotional when I was playing the PMD Blue but I wasn't in other games (Darkness, Time and Sky) even though they were more deep story-wise...
Guess I grew older...
But I love PMDs and I'm looking forward to trying 3DS one.

rainerman3

The Guy With THE Aura
Years
Red Rescue Team: I started feeling really sad when me and my partner were running away from town. Since I'm a really emotional guy, I got a tear to my eye from that. All the sad dialogue and the sad music it was awesome... If it was would have been cutscenes without the dungeons then it would have been perfect. :') And of course the ending. I cried for 15 minutes straight. T^T
Explorers of Sky: When I played this game my sadness level went over board. First of all, Grovyle's so called death. I didn't cry in this scene but I got really emotional about it. And then the ending, oh the ending. I cried for so darn long, I stopped when the credits were over, and then when I saw that my partner and me reunited, I just said YES, YES, YES!!!! But, this is what's weird. I cried the most in the Igglybuff the Prodigy special episode, I got so sad when Armaldo left Igglybuff. T_T I also cried a bit in Grovyles special episode.
So these games are amazing emotion bringers to me. :3

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
I have to admit, I started crying the first (and only) time I beat PMD Red Rescue Team. For some reason I just feel that we have more of an emtional connection to the PMD games compared to the main games. This is most likely due to the game telling us that we ARE the main character and we actually went around making friends with other characters.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Nope. Not even Mother 3, a supposedly heartwrenching game can get me to feel like weeping. However, I only played the Blue DS game.

I will say this much, though. The story, the ending, and everything else had me thinking "why don't the main games have stories this deep?". Granted, they might now, idk, but at the time it was amazing coming from a Pokemon game.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
Y-Yeah. My first game was Pokemon explorers of sky. Damn it, remember when I cried because Grovyle left, the Igglibuff the prodogy episode...and you know what made me cry? The ending. I was leaving my partner and I was like...oh no...then in the credits I cried even more because I thought I would disappear FOREVER. Then when I returned...I was like: " What? Wait, what?! Yay!!!!!!!" In my Blue I didn't cry cause I alrleady knew I was going to return...

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
Yes. In PMD Explorers of Sky, I cried a lot after the Grovyle tells us the truth and after the main character(temporarily) dies after defeating Dialga.

Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2013
The Mystery Dungeon games are so masterful in their emotional storytelling. You're darned right I got emotional at them!

Rou.Tsuki

It's happy hour somewhere...
Years
Oh good, I'm not the only one! Yeah, I was surprised by the route the story was going in PMD Darkness (it's my first of the spin-offs). At the end when you "disappear"... OMG, I was trying not to tear up with my partner.

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
Years
Red Rescue Team was the first game to make me cry. I also think it sorta "unlocked" my emotions afterwards too. Before seeing that ending, I thought of myself as kinda immune to crying out of sadness. Then after that, I've become much more in touch with my emotions. :)

In Darkness, I didn't cry at the ending, but I felt the sadness welling up inside me. I guess maybe it was because I knew it was coming and unintentionally braced myself for it? In Sky, I cried tears of joy during the scene where
Spoiler:
Also, although I've already seen it in Darkness, I cried when
Spoiler:

As for the Special Episodes, I'm positive I cried at the ending of Igglybuff the Prodigy, and maybe the last episode too.

Really, the music in this game does contribute a lot to the emotional essence in my opinion.

Back