• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
first off let me say its quitte a nie map:)
i need some improvements like less tall grass tiles because you force the player to go through grass almost all the time here...the waterfalls seems quitte good but as dr/fuji said you will get some border errors oz some part the player will see add mayb 2 or 3 tree maybe and make the mountains a little more random coz it still looks kinda straigth and boring
6/10
here my map
rom base :fr
hack:Legend of anbuja LoA
comments it the starting town in LoA CnC please:D
Spoiler:

I quite like the lake tilesets and how you can see through it, they're a little squarish. I noticed that in the way back it looks like there is a fence or something behind the trees, but the map is still a good map. 8/10

Map Name: Refto Race Track
Hack Name: none
Comments: This isn't a town its part of a town, a side part. The player has do do some thing to gte car keys to get a car instead of a bike, then the player can go around the race track. This was made while i was watching the 24 HR Le Mans yesterday to today, So this is kind of inspired by The Le Mans De La Sarthe Track. Road tileset credit goes to SAURAV (if spelled right). I did a quite a bit of block editing. PLease tell me if there are any errors it is i big map and i might have missed something.
Spoiler:

Starchomp

Avid Gambler
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 24, 2014
I quite like the lake tilesets and how you can see through it, they're a little squarish. I noticed that in the way back it looks like there is a fence or something behind the trees, but the map is still a good map. 8/10

Comments: This isn't a town its part of a town, a side part. The player has do do some thing to gte car keys to get a car instead of a bike, then the player can go around the race track. This was made while i was watching the 24 HR Le Mans yesterday to today, So this is kind of inspired by The Le Mans De La Sarthe Track. Road tileset credit goes to SAURAV (if spelled right). I did a quite a bit of block editing. PLease tell me if there are any errors it is i big map and i might have missed something.
Spoiler:

Going off of what ΣŁ1ŦΣ CHΛRIΖΛЯĐ said, try to close up the empty space around the race track by adding trees. Also, that Pokecenter looks really bizzare with that mart tile stuck on it.
Again, there are WAY TOO MANY FLOWERS, it makes the map look very unprofessional. Some of the buildings look a little weird, but I'll let it slide.

r0bert

Quitifyingly awesome.
Years

Spoiler:
I
Like your Idea on this, but you mapped it a bit off.
Tere's waytoo much empty space, try spreading in more trees,flowers and other stuff.4/10.
My map:
map names: Aurinn town and Dawn path.
Credits: darkblack thread and Anbuja's_Bloody.
map descriptions: the lower part of A.town is part of a huge cave only accesible after everything else, you can obtai clues on how to find a specific pokémon here...(BTW,the mountains down there are supposed to be square,border errors).D.path: Just your average route, nothing special except for the first storyevent by dead end.
maps:attachment.
credits: the darkblack thread

Attachments

• Dawn path.png
    Dawn path.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Aurinn town.png
    Aurinn town.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 74

NurseBarbra

くら くら?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2017
Spoiler:

=============================================
Map Name: Lanat Village (Version 3)
Map Game: Pokemon Desegrate
Comments: I remapped it with new tiles (Contrasting the older version 2, seen here). Please don't state the lack of flower tiles as I have not found ones which I like and inserted them yet.
Map:
See attachments.

Attachments

• Lanat Village V3.png
    Lanat Village V3.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 632

r0bert

Quitifyingly awesome.
Years
Spoiler:

=============================================
Map Name: Lanat Village (Version 3)
Map Game: Pokemon Desegrate
Comments: I remapped it with new tiles (Contrasting the older version 2, seen here). Please don't state the lack of flower tiles as I have not found ones which I like and inserted them yet.
Map:
See attachments.
I like the map a lot, it's alivish.My only comment is about the rock climb thing right besides the waterfalls,kinda doesn't make sense.9.9993999/10
(BTW,you can stalk me all you want, won't help you).
MAH MAP.
name: Ranice City
description: city.nuff said.
credits:same as last post.
map
Spoiler:

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
I like the map a lot, it's alivish.My only comment is about the rock climb thing right besides the waterfalls,kinda doesn't make sense.9.9993999/10
(BTW,you can stalk me all you want, won't help you).
MAH MAP.
name: Ranice City
description: city.nuff said.
credits:same as last post.
map
Spoiler:
mkay here is it kinda for this map
Spoiler:

red's: your forcing the player to walk just on 1 tile space you should had made it 2 tiles bright so the playability would be better.
blue: that part for me don;t make that much sense after there is nothing just grass and it still seems to less grass than.
the other things i dont like is that i just see 1 little tree why?? there should be more little trees the tiles you using though are good but those white buildings are too much there and i dont really like they're placement there is a big number of them and there all near each other you should remove maybe one or two...there arent flowers either and there arent an sign or something to amke it look better you've could had done better i thing and i know what you'ra capable off:)
rating 6/10
description: it's the first gym city:)
credits on my DA
map:
Spoiler:

CnC are welcome:)

EDIT: Mod's if you can't see the screens i uploaded and think this post is against the rules feel free to delete this post i will post it than again beause it seems that the images are crushing while uploading:)

Last edited:

Anselection

Malicious Mapper
Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2011
NurseBarbra's review:
Spoiler:

r0bert's review:
Spoiler:

Anbuja's rating:
Spoiler:

Now, for my map.
Map name: Just-a-Route
Hack: Pokemon Fire Red
Description: I'm just testing out a ROM base I found in the resources thread to sharpen my mapping. So, here I am looking for a review. :)
Credits: MasterofPuppets for making his base and the people who made the tiles in the ROM itself.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
NurseBarbra's review:
Spoiler:

r0bert's review:
Spoiler:

Anbuja's rating:
Spoiler:

Now, for my map.
Map name: Just-a-Route
Hack: Pokemon Fire Red
Description: I'm just testing out a ROM base I found in the resources thread to sharpen my mapping. So, here I am looking for a review. :)
Credits: MasterofPuppets for making his base and the people who made the tiles in the ROM itself.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

small erros but stll good those tiles are great but i have also seen them on the resourde thread anyway small erorrs and suck 7\10 now for my map

ohk anyway
game name none
base FR
credits wesly fg alucas alistair

testmap.jpg

Starchomp

Avid Gambler
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 24, 2014
small erros but stll good those tiles are great but i have also seen them on the resourde thread anyway small erorrs and suck 7\10 now for my map

ohk anyway
game name none
base FR

testmap.jpg

It looks good, but there are a few notable problems with this map, first of all there are a few tile errors within the mountains (pictured in the thumbnail). Also, you should never put objects in front of ledges, as you wouldnt be able to jump down them.

The biggest gripe that I have about this map is that it will have horrible border errors, to fix this, I suggest you surround the entire map in mountains and add it as the border.

As a side note, there are quite a few one-tile paths that restrict movement, I suggest you expand all of these to 2-3 size paths so the player can have more freedom.

Overall this map isnt bad, but if you add these changes it will be much better.

That is all

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years

ohk anyway
game name none
base FR

testmap.jpg

well done very diverse very well done the tiles are stunning i have to say 9\10

ohk guys my map its the first town lol
name .....
fr

Spoiler:
both maps look kinda good u've got bettet in mappind as i can see but in both u have problems in the first on the water tile the border grass of them is an green olour the overall grass have an different green colour so match them to look better with them the entrance dont have the same colour as the other mountain tiles and there will be so much border error fix them!
chnage the pals of the tree coz they look weird and the tree tiles dont look that good but here not tile review just map but overall they have a good idea in it:D for both 6/10

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
Years
game name none
base FR
Spoiler:
I can spot a couple of mistakes in your mountains, also, the border is gonna be pretty bad like this. /: I don't think there's enough wild grass, like I could go through this entire map and barely touch any. Also, there's hardly any flowers. :[ 4/10. Just my thoughts.

Now, my maps!
Name: Palmetto Town
Game: Fire Red
Comments: This is the second map I've ever made. And my first attempt at a town. :)
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Name: Route 1
Comments: This is my first map! I hope you'll like it. Tell me where to improve and such. :))
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
I can spot a couple of mistakes in your mountains, also, the border is gonna be pretty bad like this. /: I don't think there's enough wild grass, like I could go through this entire map and barely touch any. Also, there's hardly any flowers. :[ 4/10. Just my thoughts.

Now, my maps!
Comments: This is the second map I've ever made. And my first attempt at a town. :)
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Comments: This is my first map! I hope you'll like it. Tell me where to improve and such. :))
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Those two maps are quitt good after those are ur first maps:)
at the first one u will get though an border error when u step beetween the littletree and the big tree near the lab u will see the end of the mountains.
the second one don;t ave border errors and look quit good as i can see u wont be able to return than after u jump through that ledge.Just the water when it meets themopuntain over there have an tile error but it's easy to fix but overall quit good maps with actuall fr tile gongrats:)
8/10

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

There are a few things about this map that bother me. The largest of these is the big area of empty space in the middle of the map tending towards the bottom. This space only has a small path to vary the landscape beyond the basic ground tiles and giving the player too much space are generally boring and even disorientating at times. Fill up that space with whatever you can think of: large trees, small trees, water, flowers etc.

As Anbuja said above me, you're going to encounter some border issues around the mountain on the left hand side of the map, so it would be best to expand the map so it is out of the player's field of vision. I'm also advising you to study the original FR maps and see how they do tree shadowing, as right now you are only using the unshadowed tree tiles.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

There are two or three one-tile paths in this map which restrict the player's movement drastically, but on a whole it is very open and free. I'm assuming that this map connects to the first map you posted - If this is the case then once they've jumped over the ledge, the player will not be able to visit the town again until they have HM02. If these two don't connect to each other, then nevermind.

I would say that this map is better than the first one you posted, but more work could be done to polish it up a bit. Don't forget those tree shadows as well! :P

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017

Now, my maps!
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Mapshot:
Spoiler:
not bad as they are your first map but there are a few things that bother me well you gana have a small border error there is big open spaces i think you can add some more flowers and such but still good 6\10

and the second one is good but i dont understand the waterfall thing it has no purpose it doesnt lead anywhere special but thats me.... anyway good 7\10

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
Now, my maps!
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

I can honestly say that I'm very impressed. Your first two maps turned out quite well in comparison to many others I've seen. Either you have a knack for this sort of thing, have studied good maps in this thread or in game, or both.

Now for your rates.

Palmetto Town:

The structure itself is nice. However, it is a bit bland. I know that this is most likely the starting town, but you may want to experiment a bit to add some more variety. Perhaps this town could have a small gimmick? Something that sets it apart from the others. Like how Cianwood was the "island town", Fuschia the "Safari Zone town". Of course, it doesn't have to be this drastic. Maybe this town has some more height variety in it? I see your lab is on a higher elevation than the rest of the town. Maybe put the houses in an even lower elevation by making a crater around them? Of course, whatever you come up with to make it a little less bland would be fine. Experiment! That's how you improve!

Your tree shadows are off. Actually, you haven't used them at all. In the stock Firered maps, you'll notice that trees in groups among other trees have a darker background shadow then the ones you've used. In the default tileset 0, they should be right next to the tree with no shadows that you've used for this map.

Your flower placement is good. Beginners seem to plop them down anywhere, but you have some structure there. Good flower placement takes practice. Though I can't say that you've done it "wrong" in this instance, I can say there's room for improvement. Flower placement is also an important piece of the removing blandness process. It's difficult to give advice on exact flower placement with a map like this and the job you've already done. No blaring errors, but to me they're very uninteresting. Experiment, again. I could be completely wrong!

I can appreciate the "flow" of this map. Mostly because your pathing is done very well. My gripe is that they don't connect near the Trainer Tips sign, when there's no reason for them not to. It is a very rare occasion that Nintendo made maps have paths that don't connect so obviously and directly. Also, a tile error was created by how you decided to do the paths to the left of the houses. To the left of those house tiles below the roofs there are like 1 or 2 pixels worth of regular grass there. A solution would be to wind the path border around the house and have it end normally, without reaching under the house of overlapping with it at all, in front of the doors. This is usually the preferred method of pathing, but style and preference can affect this. Try it out! If it doesn't mesh right with you, block edit and fix the tile error.

You filled space very well, but there seems to still be a lot of empty, useless space left. Many comments warn against unnecessarily restricting the player's movement. And those comments are absolutely right, when the player is restricted from going where they need or are supposed to go. You needn't worry about compressing the available, walkable space in your maps as long as the player isn't squash or restricted to incredibly narrow or difficult to traverse paths. To that effect, more trees could be placed in that empty expanse of grass towards the bottom off your map, to the left of the path. Also, to the left of the northernmost red house near the mountain could use similar treatment, as it is also empty. Filling in empty space actually adds to a map's playability if done correctly. A balance should be maintained, and practice will dictate when to leave space empty and when and how much to fill it in. For future reference "cramping in" a town sometimes gives it a quaint, rugged feel which does much for the atmosphere of the map if done right. Again, that takes practice and experimentation.

You will have border errors near the lab with the set up you have now. Consider expanding the map to avoid that.

Just as a side, before I forget and move on, your mountains were very good. Natural without being excessive.

Route 1:

Again, great for a first map. However, some improvements and fixes could be made.

Like the last map, you've not used tree shadows. Simple fix, as it is with the absent shadows in Palmetto Town.

You have a mandatory one-tile pathway towards the upper right. That is the kind of cramping and space filling that destroys playability. In that area, you might want to keep the available walking space to three spaces at all times. The reason I say this is that that area will most likely be the player's first impression of that route. As it is now, no matter how open the rest of the map is, the player will feel like the entire map is cramped and restrictive. Those first areas are important to maintain a good feel and flavor to a map. You know what they say about first impressions.

Your grass placement leaves something to be desired. Like flower placement, it is difficult to nail down advice for this sort of thing. I'd say, confine your wild grass to well defined areas. Try to keep it natural, occasional "bald spots" or patches are fine, but don't overdo it. Make sure that the player has respite in between your well defined clumps of grass where wild battles aren't possible. These don't have to be long stretches of your routes, but it is important to have small areas without wild grass, even if it's only a couple tiles big, separating your larger clumps. As an aside, these spots are perfect to put trainers in.

Again, you've followed the basic guidelines for flower placement, but in this case it is a bit excessive. Cut down on some, perhaps even a majority of those flowers. In natural, windy styled maps like this one, it's incredibly easy to overdo the flowers. With practice, you'll learn how to balance the placement and amount of flowers you put in with the size and available space in a map. Generally, flowers in the bald patches of wild grass aren't too appealing aesthetically. But that is opinion. Again, experimentation is key.

Tree placement is good, mountains are again good. There's always room for improvement however. Practice makes perfect.

I like your lake and waterfall. It adds some scenery and a more interesting boundary than the trees you could've put in that spot. You may consider putting an item ball only accessible with surf or waterfall here, just as an extra.

That ledge prevents backtracking. Unless that is your intention, consider removing it or opening a part of it up. Though keep in mind the first impression and one tile path rule when doing so. Ledges are a great way to show differences in elevation in combination with, or even without mountain tiles. That may be a good thing for a beginner such as yourself to experiment with. Downhill slopes are perfectly illustrated by ledges, and when done right add a professional touch to a map and increases playability.

---

Overall, these maps are very good when considering they're your firsts. You obviously have some talent with mapping, and with these as your early forays, you're bound to become truly great. Practice and experimentation are key to developing your skills as a mapper. Keep it up, I look forward to seeing some more of your maps in the future!

Last edited:

r0bert

Quitifyingly awesome.
Years

Now, my maps!
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Mapshot:
Spoiler:
I'm gonna rate your first map.
first of all: your first map is better than the one I'm gonna post after a year of mapping.You've got some real talent.
but, there are some thing that could use work:
tree shadows: it'll look even better if you use those, they add the effect of denseness(lol,idk) and the ledge prefenting the player to go back to what I think to be the first town. One tile paths don't really bother me because they make great oppurtunities for hidden items, as they're easily overlooked.A 9/10.
My map.
Map name: Diamond Cliff(was gonna name it clifftop path but yea,there's no path.
map game: C'mon youknow.
comments: it's a cliff.nuff said.(overworlds added only for show,though I am thinking of something ho-oh and lugiaish...)
map:
Spoiler:

credits: mah hack thread.
WHOOPDOOPDEEDOO!

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
My map.
Map name: Diamond Cliff(was gonna name it clifftop path but yea,there's no path.
map game: C'mon youknow.
comments: it's a cliff.nuff said.(overworlds added only for show,though I am thinking of something ho-oh and lugiaish...)
map:
Spoiler:

credits: mah hack thread.
WHOOPDOOPDEEDOO!

I'm going to be blunt saying this: Your map has really bad playability. There are tons of one-tile paths that really aren't needed - A good example of this would be the path leading up to the cave with Scizor and Skarmory guys. I would also suggest doing the same thing for the stairs by widening them to at least two tiles in width, both to give mobility and keeping them consistent throughout the map. The best thing you could do for this map is to increase it's width because as it stands you're trying to be too intricate in a really cramped space.

Having four flights of stairs in a row going down two-tile mountains looks really weird in my opinion. The heads of the small tress that appear on the cliffs above the cave at the bottom of the map also look really weird - Did you forget to add their bottoms or are they suppossed to be on a lower level and are partially obscured by the lip of the mountain? One of your mountain levels also seems to disappear into nothingness to the right of the Skarmory/ Scizor guys (Is it curving back around on itself or something?).

I would have to say that the sea has a few to many rocks than it should. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are trying to create an image of a rough sea breaking against jagged rocks I would have to say that the number of rocks you've used is overkill. While we're on the subject of rocks, there don't seem to be any small/large ones on land despite the prolific number of them in the sea and the fact that the area is extremely mountainous. In addition, do you have any flowers or paths that you could be using since the basic gound and grass tiles get a bit boring after a while.

While this map has an interesting structure, the execution really needs to be improved. The thing that hurts this map the most is it's playability so if you are planning to redo this map it should be your main focus.

Years
  • Seen Jul 13, 2012
map name:none
ROM base:fire red
Hack: Raging Fury
Comments: It's the same map i had posted above, but i remapped most of it, and filled up the spaces the old map had, i want to see what people think of it. Also, the reason the road reaches to the cave is because the cave entrance is actually a route to the next town.
[/FONT]
I like it a lot, but it just seems... busy. There's a whole lot going on in this map, and I think it has to do with the palm trees (yes, I can tell it's a beach, but they're so jagged...).

Also, there are some tile errors where the small trees meet cliffs.

Quest

Veteran Roleplayer
Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2023

Comments: It's the same map i had posted above, but i remapped most of it, and filled up the spaces the old map had, i want to see what people think of it. Also, the reason the road reaches to the cave is because the cave entrance is actually a route to the next town.

It a very good map in my opinion but like Arcticblast said, it's pretty busy. There is way too many trees in certain spots. Over where the cliff meets the beach there are a lot of tile errors though, especially on the cliff corners. I do like it though, the tile are clean and pretty and the idea is amazing. 8/10...

...And here is my map.
Name: Honor Village
Game: No game
Comments: First in a while. This map was made just to get back into mapping/hacking. I really need help with tree and flower placement obviously. Anyways, enjoy!! Please be as much of a critic as you want.
Credits: Master of Puppets for the Rombase and everyone who made the tiles
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
Today, 05:27 AM

The Final Watchman
Is coming home...

Nature: Brave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ΣŁ1ŦΣ CHΛRIΖΛЯĐ

It a very good map in my opinion but like Arcticblast said, it's pretty busy. There is way too many trees in certain spots. Over where the cliff meets the beach there are a lot of tile errors though, especially on the cliff corners. I do like it though, the tile are clean and pretty and the idea is amazing. 8/10...

...And here is my map.
Name: Honor Village
Game: No game
Comments: First in a while. This map was made just to get back into mapping/hacking. I really need help with tree and flower placement obviously. Anyways, enjoy!! Please be as much of a critic as you want.
Credits: Master of Puppets for the Rombase and everyone who made the tiles
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

uhmm its not bad since you came back into hacking now but i find it too open there is alot of plain openness i like your mountain placement its done really well.... im gana go with 6\10 lol keep it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back