• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Review Discussion

bobandbill

one more time
Years
From Astinus in the other discussion thread which you guys should totally check out:
I'm going to have to think (and discuss!) the review system. Maybe that can be another discussion thread to join our discussion thread on discussion threads. That way, we can find out what people prefer more when it comes to getting reviews. I know there's a division in people's opinions about that, but I'll go more in-depth about it at a later time and when I can gather my thoughts.

So!
- How do you like to do your reviews? (Style, tone, etc).
- What sort of reviews do you like getting?
- Any thoughts on a potential new Reviewer's Guide? (What should be in it, etc?)

Last edited:

Cutlerine

Gone. May or may not return.
Years
Oho! A discussion thread. Time to generate words in a meaningful-sounding order.

The best reviews, I think, go through an entire chapter, or more than one chapter, and variously point out incoherencies, typographical errors, deficiencies of character, stylistic lapses - and provide helpful suggestions for ways to improve them. Those are the flavour of review I try to leave, which is one reason why I review so little; I can't bring myself to leave a shorter review if I know there's more I could say that might help, and so only sit down to review when I know I have an uninterrupted hour or two to work in. This is not admirable, and I really do need to leave reviews and responses more frequently.

Oh, and I like to make jokes. That's not just part of reviewing, it's more of a pathological obsession that means I can't write for longer than a few minutes without resorting to humour and/or haiku.

Fairly unsurprisingly, the sort of reviews I give are the same kind I like to receive; if they're going to help me improve, then they're worthwhile. In addition, if the person reviewing appears to have a sense of humour, that sweetens the deal immensely. Having said that, I also don't mind getting shorter, less in-depth replies - what I would call 'responses', rather than 'reviews'. It's just nice to know that someone is reading and enjoying my turgid output of prose; entertaining others is, after all, my basic aim as a writer.

If we're going to create a new Reviewer's Guide, the first thing we'd better do is make sure the title isn't misspelled (cough cough, look at your first post, bobandbill, cough cough). After that, we can get down to content. You know, I don't actually recall ever seeing a reviewing guide here on PC, and a quick search of the forum for 'review guide' reveals nothing at all relevant within the first 50 results, so I've got no idea what our previous one was like. However, as well as laying out the etiquette of reviewing and suchlike that you'd expect of such a guide, I think it should definitely make it clear that both short 'responses' and longer 'reviews' are allowed in these forums, not just the latter. I agree with Phantom that there may well be some who are put off posting even just the former here, given that the bulk of the reviews being written currently here are the longer, more in-depth sort, and any new Reviewer's Guide needs to clearly state - perhaps even with an example, to make it as obvious as possible - that shorter reviews are acceptable as well.

EDIT: I just found the old Reviewing Guide. Though I was stupid to have overlooked it, it was... definitely too out of the way to be of that much use. I think it needs its own thread, at the very least, rather than being buried under a mountain of other resources.

F.A.B.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
I just looked it up too, it's so dead it should be in a history textbook.

I think bringing it back/updating it might be a good thing.

On reviews. We all love great, huge, novel length, reviews. Thing is not everyone can, wants, or has time for huge reviews. So length isn't an issue for me as long as it's not one sentence just saying 'plz update soon', in that case a 'like' might be better.

For me, I'm not picky. I just like the fact that anyone responded at all. It lets me know that someone's reading it, and not hitting refresh over and over.

Bay

Years
I tend to mostly mention some of my favorite parts in a story, sometimes I'll quote or in a quick summary fashion. I also would point out any parts that I'm unsure of/needs more clarification.

I'm fine with either short or long reviews as long as it shows they get the basic of what is going on. I too am not that picky.

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
I don't write long reviews, but I only do it in punctuation and theme of the story.

I only like the reviews where it seems not very strict and not kind of rude(blunt, I am sort of OK with), but I don't get that much reviews where it says of my improvement and advice(even though I got a few).

I never knew it was there, I'll check it out.

Back