• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Project Max Revive: FF&W Revitalization Project

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Do you know how difficult it is to read your posts seriously when there's an old man's butt wiggling in my face?

This has been bothering me: "summary". "Summery" is like the season.

First thing you should probably consider is to not rush your plotting – it applies to writing, and should apply to your plotting.
You have this line twice in "How To Come Up With the Plot" and "The Plotting Itself". idk. That bothered me as well.

Yes, I'm picky.

But aside from those nitpicks there, I can't think of anything to add/take out/clean up with those posts.

btw, anyone know about the resource list Dagzar was collecting? I'd like something to replace Elite Overlord LeSabre's thread before I de-sticky it.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Do you know how difficult it is to read your posts seriously when there's an old man's butt wiggling in my face?
Sorry. XD But hey, at least he's attention grabbing! =P

But cheers for the mistakes which don't seem nitpicky to me (well the random repetition thing leastways - lolwut did I do there).

Dagzar

The Dreamer
Years
btw, anyone know about the resource list Dagzar was collecting? I'd like something to replace Elite Overlord LeSabre's thread before I de-sticky it.
Right here. I'm not sure if I collected enough links, but feel free to suggest more ideas.

Spoiler:

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Personally, I don't think that TR's Rockin' needs to be up there. Oh, I love the site and it was a godsend when I was working on the MissingNo. chapters, but I don't think that everyone needs to know about old glitches. Not many people choose to include those in their stories, I've noticed, and it seems a little too specific to be useful for most people. Unless I'm mistaken, there are a couple of guides there on writing fanfiction, so you may want to link to the site as a whole and list it as "guide resource/Glitch encyclopedia/time waster akin to TV Tropes but with cosplay". [shrugs]

EDIT: Agreeing with Delusions in that Veekun should be added, but I've never used Psypokes. That said, should we list TV Tropes? On one hand, it is a valuable and witty resource of the conventions of writing, story, and character, but it is also an extraordinarily fun time waster as I mentioned before. Is it important enough?

Last edited:

Delusions of Originality

good night, sleep tight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 3, 2024
That looks like an excellent list to me. I might add that veekun and Psypokes tend to be slightly more reliable than Serebii as far as pokédexes go, since they give more detail and are a bit more accurate (there are exceptions); they also have handy search and sort features that are nice even if you prefer sticking to the green 'dex. If you're looking for a pokémon that's a certain size, belongs to a certain egg group, learns a certain move and was introduced in a specific generation, it's hard to beat veekun's search--I use it all the time. And now I feel like a walking advertisement, but yeah... custom search = fic author's godsend.

I wonder... anyone think that links to word processors and other such stuff might be useful? I don't know that it'd alleviate the "typing the fic into the post box" problem, because I'll eat my laptop if most of those people don't have Word or at least TextEdit or something on their local machine, but maybe some distraction-free writing tools like DarkRoom? Google Docs or Buzzword, which could potentially make sharing with beta readers and the like a little easier? (Write or Die? :p)

Last edited:

Delusions of Originality

good night, sleep tight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 3, 2024
Mm, well... I guess I could just post some links anyway, and then you guys can add 'em or don't.

Spoiler:

y/n/m?

Last edited:

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Well, what we have now looks like a perfectly competent list of websites to me. Don't forget we can always add sites to the thread later if they pop up or we somehow forget about them. As for me, I have no recommendations apart from what I already gave to Dagzar about a month ago, and the list hasn't gotten bigger since then. XD I still rely on Word 2003 and the supplied-with-computer wonders of Microsoft Works Word Processor (which is exactly like Word without a quite so aesthetically pleasing layout).

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Sliding in one last shameless rec to add to the list if I may:

http://www.studio-revolution.net/summary.php - Reviewing and You, everything you ever wanted to know about reviewing but were afraid to ask. (Includes a guide on how to get reviews as well as how to do the entire review exchange thing civilly.)

Compared to the current sticky, it's refined, reorganized, and even a little rewritten at some parts. I'm just too lazy to code the thing (and, on top of that, I was wondering if it'd help to minimize the amount of stickies even further so attention could be drawn to the links thread and the beta thread).

On the other hand, if it's better off actually as a thread on the forums, sure, I can do that too. Just say the word, really.

Otherwise, the list looks ready to be posted, in my opinion. Personally, I think the list of addendum links Delusions is offering is a nice touch. While it might not encourage newbie writers to stop writing their fic in the reply box, it gives experienced writers (the people who most likely read stickies anyway) rather snazzy alternatives to using Microsoft Word (or whatever Mac users are into).

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
So who's going to launch the list? I'm assuming it's Dagzar, but Astinus may want to do it.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Well, right now, the only sticky we have is the Beta Finder thread. Imagine just one more thread stickied with it, and that's all we're going to have.

It's probably better than the six(?) stickies we had before, with two separate writing guides, the guide to a good fic, the FFL, and who knows what else there was.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Maybe we should just have a subsection titled "Writer's Resources" for all that stuff. After all, a large box with "RESOURCES" on it is kinda harder to ignore than a link in a thread.

Dagzar

The Dreamer
Years
Maybe we should just have a subsection titled "Writer's Resources" for all that stuff. After all, a large box with "RESOURCES" on it is kinda harder to ignore than a link in a thread.
Would there really be a point? While it may be more eye-catching, the subsection wouldn't really be in use and it'd be much easier just to compile all the links in a single thread.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Not to mention I'm not sure if anyone would go into a forum just for guides to read through them. The reason why we're doing a sticky of links is because we acknowledge the fact that a lot of people don't actually read guides or stickies or anything like that. Those who do might find the links handy or can at least find resources to link to in their reviews (if they don't just link to the massive list).

Also, to extend on something I think Dagzar might be implying, making a forum dedicated to guides would mean someone would have to write said threads. In which case, uh, raise your hand if you want to set aside hours of your life cooking up detailed guides and trying to get people to look over them for accuracy and whatnot. 'Cause I can't really say how many people would actually be dedicated enough to do that (although I can safely say I'm too lazy for it).

We could perhaps create a redirection link in the subforum list that directs to the resource list. (You can see an example of this with PC's rules.) That could attract attention to it, although, again, the thread's more for the people who would actually read stickies anyway.

Personally, if anything, I think we could try the redirection trick for the forum rules themselves -- but only if we're actually going to work on the subforums (read: prune them) anyway. Then again, how many people read PC's overall rules, either?

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Considering we have a lengthy list of stuff already, I was just throwing ideas around. |D Or we could compile a lot of the smaller ones - the text itself, not a link - into a single thread or... yeah, I'm not helping, am I? :| Sorry I can't be more helpful. Hopefully with the quickly-approaching summer vacation I can get some guide-writing done. [goes to stalk to-do list since her project was presumably ditched]

Dagzar

The Dreamer
Years
Alright, I've posted the resource thread. If you see absolutely anything wrong with it, feel free to rip me a new one.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Hopefully with the quickly-approaching summer vacation I can get some guide-writing done. [goes to stalk to-do list since her project was presumably ditched]
Do we need guides though? I figure that pretty much any guide anyone could write has already been written before, and could just be linked to in the resources thread.

Because, well, to be blunt: it's either guide-writing or review-writing. And maybe if more reviews are written, we could see what guides could be added.

As for to-do lists, I'm finally going through and just doing plain clean-up mod work. The Poetry rules thread has been updated, the F&W rules have been fixed up to reflect changes made from this project, and now I'm going to update the Fanfiction Index. Because that hasn't been done in a long while. (Not blaming Bay at all, since she had, y'know, real life.)

Delusions of Originality

good night, sleep tight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 3, 2024
Hey, Astinus, while you're in the fic index... do you think Bay Alexison would be horribly offended if you removed that bright yellow background? I had to highlight the entire post to be able to read anything that wasn't quoted the last time I looked at it. The color is painfully bright on a dark style, and said dark styles usually have light-colored text, so... yeah. :/ It's not the end of the world, but it sure would be nice if it were universally readable without highlighting/changing styles temporarily.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Already on top of it. Bay's the CSS expert out of the two of us (I only know how to make font blink), and we'll find colors that work well together to make the Index usable.

Because yeah, I'm using a dark-color skin and...my eyes!

Back