• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Hello, I didn't find anything about my question so here goes:
I'm starting out a hack and the last time I hacked a Pokemon Rom was when Emerald was released...
What Rom do you guys recommend me? Which one is more versatile? Pros & Cons?
I do want to keep Dive in my hack so... I was thinking Emerald since it has nice features and Dive. Some help is greatly appreciated!
If you haven't hacked before (for a long time) I recommend you try Firered first. Emerald is a lot less supported and doesn't have that many tutorials for it.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
If you haven't hacked before (for a long time) I recommend you try Firered first. Emerald is a lot less supported and doesn't have that many tutorials for it.

Yeah, Emerald was the less supported when I was still hacking...I'm surprised it still is. Whats the cons with emerald nowadays? I've hacked FireRed before. I was making a Ruby hack which then I ported to FireRed and I had problems trying to find a workaround for Dive. I've still got all my notes, programs and everything. Memory is still pretty fresh.
In what sense is Emerald less supported? Has anyone ever been able to implement Dive in FireRed?

daniilS

busy trying to do stuff not done yet
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 29, 2024
Yeah, Emerald was the less supported when I was still hacking...I'm surprised it still is. Whats the cons with emerald nowadays? I've hacked FireRed before. I was making a Ruby hack which then I ported to FireRed and I had problems trying to find a workaround for Dive. I've still got all my notes, programs and everything. Memory is still pretty fresh.
In what sense is Emerald less supported? Has anyone ever been able to implement Dive in FireRed?

Emerald is undersupported with guides, resources, and some tools. Dive, however, can be easily ported by using a signpost event on the water, which checks for a party pokemon with dive, and then warps you. The only difference is that you'll have to press a again while looking at certain tiles to resurface, unless you use JPAN's hacked engine (see? Only for firered), and then you could completely recreate dive with scripts. It has been done several times already, but the only dive-including hack I can remember now is liquid crystal.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Whenever I insert my title screen and check it in-game, before it becomes the background it slides from right to left just like in the original Fire Red before staying put as the background. How do I get it to not slide and just appear as the background without movement?

What do you mean? The titlescreen is a simple tileset + raw...

Hey~ is there's ant chance to make a new in-game trades in Pokémon Emerald?

There's a tool (I don't have it) that changes in-game trades. It's in the toolbox, but I can't look atm.

(I ddin't find it hre so I'm posting, sorry if someone already done )

-How to rip/change de pokemon platinum logo?

Try the spriter's resource (google it)
I have plenty of sheets and sprites. If you don't find it, just take a screenshot in desmume.

Last edited:

daniilS

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 29, 2024
I'm trying to edit the images of Mastermind_X's Ruins of Alph puzzle, but this is the result I get: romhack. me/file/pic/photo/2013/09/2938344b4c7011bae70b8890aa80edbc_1024.png?t=523db9b07b578
Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

(Remove the space, I can't post links yet)

GoGoJJTech

Years
I'm trying to edit the images of Mastermind_X's Ruins of Alph puzzle, but this is the result I get: romhack. me/file/pic/photo/2013/09/2938344b4c7011bae70b8890aa80edbc_1024.png?t=523db9b07b578
Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

(Remove the space, I can't post links yet)

When there are unused tiles in a tileset, they get corrupted (just like my earlier world map image)
Also, it could be that you need to repoint again.

Sliter

Gaijin Trainer
Years
Try the spriter's resource (google it)
I have plenty of sheets and sprites. If you don't find it, just take a screenshot in desmume.

Yeah... I mean, my problen is finding the logo in the Rom, so I could replace it, change the pallete and stufs

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
What do you mean? The titlescreen is a simple tileset + raw...

I've replaced the tileset and raw with my own, but when I try them out in-game they move just like the background did in fire red (the green would shift from left to right and the red border would go from right to left). It's weird because nobody else seems to have had this problem...

GoGoJJTech

Years
Yeah... I mean, my problen is finding the logo in the Rom, so I could replace it, change the pallete and stufs

Well 4th gen hacking isn't too popular... You may be on your own, sorry man.

I've replaced the tileset and raw with my own, but when I try them out in-game they move just like the background did in fire red (the green would shift from left to right and the red border would go from right to left). It's weird because nobody else seems to have had this problem...

You probably replaced the fire (that originally moves up/down) so the game does it with those tiles...
I may be viewing this wrong...
Show like two pics of this please, or use https://www.dropbox.com/s/p6bc6vz3hhs4psu/GifCam.exe
to make a gif of it.

Last edited:

daniilS

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 29, 2024
When there are unused tiles in a tileset, they get corrupted (just like my earlier world map image)
Also, it could be that you need to repoint again.

I have repointed it using unlz. You can see a comparison of the original (below) and my (up) tilesets here: i.imgur. com/P4ZFNNI.png?1

again, remove the space

GoGoJJTech

Years

Actually, you just need to change the palette to fix that. It's supposed to fade in, and your palette is too dark, hence you can notice it. Try to change it if you can. See if that helps.

I have repointed it using unlz. You can see a comparison of the original (below) and my (up) tilesets here: i.imgur. com/P4ZFNNI.png?1

again, remove the space

Repoint once again, since it's fine. You might have done this:
import image
repoint there
(later)
(put data in that same spot)
What? I got a broken image?
It may not be the image or raw, just you must repoint AGAIN since there's some data in there that's messing up the look.

Last edited:

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
I can tell, by that one teensie tile in the tree, that you didn't remove unused tiles. Follow Karatekid's tutorial on tilemaps to get this done. :)

That was actually an error with the raw, I already used Sphere to minimize the tileset as much as possible D:

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
I recently learned how to insert 4th and 5th gen pokemons to a rom hack (I'm using Sapphire, probably gonna change to FR soon) and today I inserted the back and front sprites of Lillipup, Herdier, and Stoutland, replacing Whismur, Loudred and Exploud. I made them available in the first route (to test them out) and they all worked except for Stoutland's back sprite. When I try throwing it out to battle the game freezes and the sound gets all messed up. Can someone please help? Here's the picture btw

GoGoJJTech

Years
I recently learned how to insert 4th and 5th gen pokemons to a rom hack (I'm using Sapphire, probably gonna change to FR soon) and today I inserted the back and front sprites of Lillipup, Herdier, and Stoutland, replacing Whismur, Loudred and Exploud. I made them available in the first route (to test them out) and they all worked except for Stoutland's back sprite. When I try throwing it out to battle the game freezes and the sound gets all messed up. Can someone please help? Here's the picture btw

Just repoint it's palette and images (Insert and save to another offset)
You probably forgot to repoint.

That was actually an error with the raw, I already used Sphere to minimize the tileset as much as possible D:

Maybe you can leave it how it is until you find a solution. Plus many hacks have this error, so you're not alone.

Last edited:

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
What do you mean? First I put Export Image, and Auto abort if new data is bigger and if it's too big I also put in Automatically fix pointers and put the free space offset. Then I put Export pallet and auto abort if new data is bigger. But it still bugged. And it didn't say "pointer changed to" or something like that after i put my offset

GoGoJJTech

Years
What do you mean? First I put Export Image, and Auto abort if new data is bigger and if it's too big I also put in Automatically fix pointers and put the free space offset. Then I put Export pallet and auto abort if new data is bigger. But it still bugged. And it didn't say "pointer changed to" or something like that after i put my offset

That's because nothing points to the old image anymore, so you're wasting time. THIS tool is better than un-lz in this sense because it is user-friendly: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3n99bobcmlx4h7t/Advanced Series.rar
You can even change icons and positions of pokemon in-battle, so flying pokemon aren't always up-top.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
That's because nothing points to the old image anymore, so you're wasting time. THIS tool is better than un-lz in this sense because it is user-friendly: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3n99bobcmlx4h7t/Advanced Series.rar
You can even change icons and positions of pokemon in-battle, so flying pokemon aren't always up-top.

I've tried it before, not compatible with my computer. And now instead of freezing the game restarts... should I just try to start all over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back