• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In depth Advance Map tutorial

JustKidingYa

No, this time its for real
Years
Great Tutorial, But say for example your hacking emerald, i don't know if you know this but They say that emerald has the FR/LG game engine, well i opened it turns out it has ALL the FR/LG maps but there the kind that dont have headers so it looks like nintendo made a mistake and deleted them can ya insert them back in? Also can ya insert new headers?

EDIT: i figured it out what you do is goto header then select the deleted header and walah reopen your rom an there ya have it

P.S: that give emerald some 130+ maps!!!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 28, 2014
thanks, this helped because i wasnt sure exactly how the map connections worked.

Version Five

Restarted entire hack. :(
Years
  • Seen Jul 13, 2014
I have a question, how do you get other tilesets when your trying to edit a different map? Like I'm trying to edit Little Root, and I want tile sets 1 and 2, but I can't find an option. The only way I can get these is if I try to make a new map, but I can't use that map because it saves in the Map Files, so how would I move it to the new area?

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
I have a question, how do you get other tilesets when your trying to edit a different map? Like I'm trying to edit Little Root, and I want tile sets 1 and 2, but I can't find an option. The only way I can get these is if I try to make a new map, but I can't use that map because it saves in the Map Files, so how would I move it to the new area?

The option is under the "header" tab. Scroll to the bottom and there is an area labeled "used tilesets". Change the numbers in the boxes to the ones you want and click "change tileset".

Forever Alone

Back into rom hacking 8 years later!
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
Woop dats kewl i figured out most of it in my head but i just learned a little bit moar. once i figure out the movement scripts and the sprites i will start my hack

Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2011
I solved the problem, you select the name from the list of names in the header and select a name like palate town or something and it will change the name of the town without effecting little root town.

JustKidingYa

No, this time its for real
Years
Okay thats confusing but i'm guessing your talking about making new maps so just click new map then, make your map, then insert map (you did know that was there, right?) just click creat and insert open up littleroot's map it should be there and done next if you want it to be alse where just goto header and first place its says littleroot select the map ya want it goto and done, again .

The option is under the "header" tab. Scroll to the bottom and there is an area labeled "used tilesets". Change the numbers in the boxes to the ones you want and click "change tileset".
i just thought he was talking about inserting maps

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Aug 15, 2012
Is there a way to apply dynamic offsets in the header/footer of the map so I don't have to repoint it manually to change the size?

jabberjabber8

../\..
Years
For some reason when i replace a map on fire red with a new map it always has the same name as the first town, and if i try to change the name it changes the name of the first town as well...
I understand you can only have so many map names in one rom but i am not adding a new map i am replacing a old one and i would like to keep the name of the old one...

If anyone knows how to fix this can you please PM me...

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
Wonderful tutorial: I actually understand how to use advance maps now :) .

Just one question: how do you insert your own tiles into a game?
I don't know how and I want to create a 'renascence fair/medieval' based city,
and I can only use tiles I have to make.

And, on that subject, how wide and high is a tile? (I know it may seem obvious, but to me it isnt

Years
  • Seen Apr 6, 2011
What version is this tutorial for? I ask because mine doesn't have a lot of the stuff shown in the original post.

Last edited:

aperso

Please feel free to VM random fruit types.
Years
What version is this tutorial for? I ask because mine doesn't have a lot of the stuff shown in the original post.

its either 1.90/1.91/1.92 of a-map i now it's not 1.95 because that was released a month ago

Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2012
Thanx for the in depth tutorial, I already knew most of this, but there was a few bits I didn't know about.

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2011
One question. How to load up new tilesets?And how to use them?

Thanks for the TUT.It helped me :P

bcrobert

Lazy Antagonist
Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2022
I know this is late praise, but this tutorial is perfect. Made my first successful bridge with this information.

Back