• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

No love for 2nd generation?

AMT

Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Either it just doesn't exist or I'm not looking hard enough... is there or is there not a development kit for 2nd generation?

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
Either it just doesn't exist or I'm not looking hard enough... is there or is there not a development kit for 2nd generation?

uhm with essentials you can do any generation of pokemon game you know? <.<

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
>Get Essentials
>Get tilesets for 2nd Gen
>Insert
>Get all sprites
>Insert
>All overworlds
>Insert

Job done.

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 15, 2022
Actually, I'd like some answers to this, as well. While it's true that you can simply implement the graphical assets to make it look like the GB games, just how accurately can you get it to emulate the GBC? For example, I haven't seen scanline-based effects shown in any game built on RMXP -- effects like the ones used for Double Team, Surf, Psychic, Transform, Confusion, and Hydro Pump, and each one has their own method of distorting sprites. So, I don't know if these effects are possible on RMXP. Are they?

Also, how accurately can you emulate the sound chip used for .GBS audio? I could do something as simple as playing an .mp3 of a GB track, but what I'd rather do is play each channel of the music separately so certain sound effects can mute specific audio channels when they play, just like in the GB games. It would be even easier if there were a .GBS audio codec that could be supported somehow by RMXP.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
If you know what to do, obviously, alot of that can be achieved.
As for your sound thing. I'm not sure about the actualy sound chip. I think you could very easily rip the sounds from the game though.

Last edited:

lmdst

Blast From the Past
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 26, 2014
Does Essentials/RMXP allow for specific soundfonts to be used with your midis? That would make looping etc. a lot more manageable. (But it wouldn't block sound channels on sound effects right away - though I fail to see why anyone would consider that important to reproduce)

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
If you're good at applying soundfonts to MIDI's in FruityLoops, you can do that. Just FruityLoops can only export as .mp3, which can be used in RPG Maker XP, unnless you buy the full version.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
If you're dead set on making a second-gen-style game, you'd probably be better off hacking Gold or Silver. I do want to point out that Super Pokemon Eevee Edition has a second gen aesthetic, although the battle system is different from a traditional Pokemon game.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
SPEE was more of a Final Fantasy x Pokemon Crossover. Which explains the battle system, and the music is not GB. It uses the default MIDI XG soundfont.

Blue Emerald

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 15, 2022
If you're dead set on making a second-gen-style game, you'd probably be better off hacking Gold or Silver.
Not if you intend to add double battles. =P

That's why I'm asking all these questions. I just don't want to spend $30 on RMXP for Essentials only to discover that there's something I can't do on it that ruins my chances at creating a faithful recreation of the GB style. I want to create something that looks and sounds like a GB hack, but can do things the GB games can't do, such as double battles, contests, and support for all the Pokemon up to Gen IV.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
Alright well. I've been working on What I call Crystal XP for a while, but it broke on the revision that was based off of Essentials 7. I decided to wait until 10 came out before I started working on it again (meaning I will have some progress to show soon).

The thing is, with a Gameboy Color sized screen, double battles aren't exactly plausible due to the lack of space. Gold and Silver are already extremely compact in menus and battles. Also, you can apply assembly to have more than 256 Pokémon in a hack :p

And I don't think Essentials has any support for contests. Not to mention the Status screen in GSC has no room for contest moves.

Blue Emerald

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 15, 2022
The thing is, with a Gameboy Color sized screen, double battles aren't exactly plausible due to the lack of space. Gold and Silver are already extremely compact in menus and battles. Also, you can apply assembly to have more than 256 Pokémon in a hack :p.

Don't worry; I figured out how to make that work. ;)

Here's a mock-up:
doublebattlemockup-1.png

And for attacks where one Pokemon is getting hit, my plan is this: the two Pokemon that aren't in the fight would just fade out temporarily (with a palette-based effect/animation) before the attack, then the other two would center themselves so the attack animation would work as intended; the attacked Pokemon would then take its damage, and then these two would return to their usual positions and the other two would fade back into place. This way, there won't need to be different animations depending on the positions of the Pokemon, which will keep things from getting too unrealistic.

Also, the HP bars are 16px smaller for space reasons, but I would imagine that could be easily overcome, and that making a new HP bar just for double battles shouldn't be too much trouble.

In the case of contests, that's fine if it hasn't been implemented. I won't need to do anything with that right now; it's not a big deal. ;)

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
Don't worry; I figured out how to make that work. ;)

Here's a mock-up:
doublebattlemockup-1.png

And for attacks where one Pokemon is getting hit, my plan is this: the two Pokemon that aren't in the fight would just fade out temporarily (with a palette-based effect/animation) before the attack, then the other two would center themselves so the attack animation would work as intended; the attacked Pokemon would then take its damage, and then these two would return to their usual positions and the other two would fade back into place. This way, there won't need to be different animations depending on the positions of the Pokemon, which will keep things from getting too unrealistic.

Also, the HP bars are 16px smaller for space reasons, but I would imagine that could be easily overcome, and that making a new HP bar just for double battles shouldn't be too much trouble.

In the case of contests, that's fine if it hasn't been implemented. I won't need to do anything with that right now; it's not a big deal. ;)

Absolutely love that Mockup. I'm sure with some scripting it could be easily accomplished. The font however I'm not so sure about @__@ The GSC font has always struggled with me, along with the Essentials textbox since I can't force it to display two lines at the correct height.

Back