• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikwaylx

Man with 10000 pronounciations
Years
*COUGH*
*HACK*
Oooohhhrrrhhh... So much dust is bad for your health..

Perhaps I should explain the reason for my extremely long absence from this thread. You can have the long version, or the short version.

Short ~
New computer! Everything deleted, sat back and just let Stallion and friends rest.

Long ~
Well, after a long period of procrastination in making new videos and posts due to technical difficulties holding me back, I finally got a new PC.
This new PC kicks ass, but I had to rebuild from scratch. Needless to say I didn't really get my Pokemon emulator/ROMs back, so I decided that it'd be best just to let it be forgotten.
It's hard though, doing this was actually really fun. I enjoy making light out of the (now) monotonous adventure I've been through many times and I love the challenge too; it's a shame I didn't continue with this.

So, it's time for a reboot! Got my new save file at the ready and recording software for awesome bonus videos. Let's have our fighting types brawl for victory once more! Rise my fighting friends! Claim the champion title in Hoenn and beyond!

Recap:
From what I can remember, I was playing Pokemon Ruby with a team consisting of:
pkrs005.gif

Tarion - The Fiery Souled Combusken

pkrs035.gif

Brealeg - The Spore Flinging, Speed Punching Breloom

And...
pkrs049.gif

Stallion - The Honoroable Hariyama

Currently I should have just beat Wattson, and continuing upwards into the next route. Who knows what I'll find there? Perhaps there's a gutsy karate chopper just around the corner - or a calm, collected meditator?
Let's find out!

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
Welcome back to the challenge, Ikwaylx. Wonder who'll finish the fighting mono first? ;)

Ikwaylx

Years
Welcome back to the challenge, Ikwaylx. Wonder who'll finish the fighting mono first? ;)
Well, I've already reached Brawly, so it's not long until I start blogging my process again.

I wonder if anyone notices the change of natures and stats in the next couple of videos I make. Heh

pkrs049.gif
Route Fighters
pkrs005.gif
pkrs035.gif

As usual, the tropical Hoenn weather patterns gave the sky a majestic blue, the sun radiating into the brow of our fighting type trainer.
With an optomistic sigh, and a slight adjustment of his bandana, he was all prepared to go well on his way up to route 111. However, there was slight unfinished business nearby; he needed the HM Rock Smash in order to progress.
A man wearing odd scientific garb raised greetings to the trainer, and promised a spare HM06, as he would any other trainer passing by.
One must wonder where he gets all these HMs from, really...

With Rock Smash in the well guarded hands of Stallion, what else was there to do than visit Rusturf cave? There he saw two rocks. Each rock was crumbling, and so fell easily to Stallion's forceful hand.
"Thank you so much for finishing the tunnel!" Said the gleeful blackbelt who spent years digging furiously through the cave.
As thanks, yet another HM. All mine! Gosh, I really hate HMs... At least this one is somewhat useful in combat. Strength! It'll be taught to ol' Tarion.

All set for route 111, the trainer knew full well what to do.
Other trainers sought to interrupt him, however, including two interviewers, picknickers and... Worst of all: hikers! Oh the horrors of hikers...

Suddenly, his acute fighting sense of smell could tell that there was someone desireable in the area. For once in a long time, hunting in the grass was going to be important, and the sheer effort was visible on the trainer's sweating cheek:
"Numel... Numel... Nume- *GASP*!" He cried
With no warning, a dazzling Machop came into view! A swift faking out dazed it enough to be forced into a poke ball for a long enough time to be caught... *cough*
So our 4th fighting type has been caught, and one of two pokemon not from the third generation. A Machop, rash, level 14. Gutsy.
And what name would be bestowed upon this glorious Machop?

MARCUS
pkrs073.gif

Reliving the tale of his ancestor 'Marcus the Malleable Machoke', Machop will become a brave asset to our team. I don't plan on evolving him up to Machamp; I would like to be challenged a little more.
That said, I'm really overleveled at the minute. It's not a good thing either, as the entire game is being a cakewalk so far. I know that the difficulty will ramp up after Norman, but all I have to do is spam karate chop. Smooth martial arts eh?

Current Team!

pkrs005.gif

Tarion
Level 28
78 HP
Ember
Double Kick
Bulk Up
Strength

pkrs035.gif

Brealeg
Level 27
74 HP
Mach Punch
Mega Drain
Stun Spore
Mega Drain

pkrs049.gif

Stallion
Level 27
119 HP
Vital Throw
Bulk Up
Fake Out
Rock Smash

pkrs073.gif

*NEW* ~ Marcus
Level 27
81 HP
Revenge
Foresight
Seismic Toss
Karate Chop

That's all I have to say for today, more soon!​

Last edited:

Nathanyiel

It seems you lost the game...
Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
Hey Ikwaylx, nice to see you decided to start up again...I'm the guy who told you this was still going on on Youtube (I had Nathanyiel as my name a few years ago but I forgot my password :()

Anyways, I have decided I'm going to take on the Rock Challenge. I'm starting it up just now on Yellow...I've decided this time I'm going to run through Yellow->Crystal->Emerald->Platinum. Starting with Bulbasaur so my rival will have Gyarados and Charizard weak against rock type attacks...and so Brock won't be too much of a pain.

EDIT: Forgot how Yellow works...I guess I'll aim for him to evolve it to Flareon then. No clue how I'm going to get past Brock...

Update!
-Finally beat Brock with the aid of sheer luck. i got Pikachu to Lv. 15 when it learns double team and killed Geodude by getting max evasiveness and then spamming quick attack. Next up, Onix kept using bide and I took advantage of that to lower his defense all the way. I finished with only 1 pp left for quick attack :P
-Got to Mt. Moon, skipping all the trainers possible to train my new Geodude. I did the same in Viridian Forest. Currently going off to fight said trainers.

Team
gby074.gif

Gritty Lv. 10
-Tackle
I need to get him to learn rock throw, then I'll go through Mt. Moon. My goal is to be overleveled, since one hit from Misty would be the end for Gritty.

Do you all think I should get Omanyte or Kabuto??

Last edited:

Nathanyiel

It seems you lost the game...
Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
Another update:
-Beat all the trainers I left for...training
-Gritty learned a few useless moves like defense curl and then learned Rock Throw!
-Went into Mt. Moon
-swept through all the trainers, which made Gritty immensely overleveled
-I ended up choosing the helix fossil, mainly because Omanyte is just cooler I think :P
-Got to Cerulean City and fought my rival by nugget bridge. Want an idea of how overleveled Gritty is? After the battle with my rival he evolved. Yeah. I haven't even been grinding on wild pokemon either.
-traded him to evolve, since the level up moves are the same its just better stats.

Team
gby076.gif

Gritty Lv. 25
-Tackle
-Mega Punch
-Rock Throw
-Selfdestruct
I hope I can take out Misty with this...

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
After a hellish training session, I now have a level 43 Charizard and a level 40 Growlithe, ready to take down Silph Co. Well, the Rocket part, at any rate.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
ummm, sort of an update, im not one for long sentences.

Beat Team Rocket and got Siph Scope
Beat Erika
In Tower Place with Silph Scope, getting paralyzed by licks O_o

Ikwaylx

Years
Do you all think I should get Omanyte or Kabuto??
I suggest that you get Omanyte. It has a superior special stat which is important; all things considered, Rock types aren't exactly the best at fighting with magic, especially in the first generation.
Omastar is an exception, and with Surf, Ice Beam and Toxic on the thing, it can be a real killer to those that have a high defense.

Just watch out for grass types.

Charmageddon

Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
But Kabuto gets Slash, which is completely broken in the 1st Gen. Still, too late now I guess.

Well, I've already reached Brawly, so it's not long until I start blogging my process again.

True. And I'm not gonna be able to do anything for the next couple of days due to that pesky real life thing getting in the way. For the time being though...

johtochamps.jpg

I made my way through the ridiculously easy Victory Road and found my rival waiting at the end. He was pretty easy, 'Chan took care of Sneasel (Mach Punch) and Golbat (Ice Punch). 'Top handled Magneton (Dig), Haunter (Dig) and Kadabra (Strength), while 'Lee took out Feraligatr with a couple of Hi Jump Kicks.

I went straight into the E4 to test how well I'd do. I got my arse handed to me by Will, so I went back to Victory Road to grind.

*Insert a lot of boring grinding here* Nothing interesting happened except Jonathan learned Mega Kick and I remembered why I hate Gravelers.

Back to the Elite Four, I managed to just scrape past Will. The first Xatu took an Ice and Thunder punch, just confusing me in response. I switched to Jonathan to OHKO the Jynx with Hi Jump Kick. Slowbro was predictably stupid and just used amnesia while I slowly drained its health with Andrew's Strength. Exeggutor was very annoying, it killed Andrew and left Jonathan with very little health. I almost beat the second Xatu with Ice Punches, but it beat Warren. Jonathan was about to finish it off with Swift but the a-hole used a max potion. :grr: Luckily I outsped it and Swift-ed it to death before it could attack.

Koga was much easier, I don't really remember the exact way in which I kicked his arse. Only Crobat was a problem with Double Team and Wing Attack, but Swift came in handy there too. Bruno up next - hey, didn't I already beat him? Jonathan swept through his whole team with Hi Jump Kick, only falling to a Critical Cross Chop from Machamp. Andrew finished the job and I reclaimed my title as the most awesome Fighting-type trainer in the land. I don't remember Karen much either, as you'd guess, she was pretty easy.

Warren was an absolute beast against Lance. He 2HKOed the Gyarados to start (who just rain-danced in response), before switching out to Jonathan and another Wing Attack saw the end of Jonathan. Warren switched back in to quickly take it out with Mach Punch. Andrew came in against Charizard and weakened it with Strength, but again Wing Attack was the thorn in my side. Luckily Warren was there in a pinch with Thunderpunch. All three Dragonites were 2HKOed with Ice Punch, and Warren survived Hyper Beams, Outrages and paralysis to win me the title of League champion.

See you next week for the Magnificently Tedious Adventures in Kanto!

raekuul

Team Anorith Grunt
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 13, 2017
Yeah, Slash is broken in Gen. 1 - it doesn't benefit from Swords Dance at all.

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
Years
But if you have a Base speed of over 63, it always crits. So that really doesn't matter.

And I'm working on a LOOOOOOOOOOONG update. You'll see me next when I get Magnaton (BTW, I've decided on the return of Raichu instead of Electrode)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 18, 2010
Hi i was wondering if i could start the mono-type challenge with the ground type starting on my yellow version this should be fun!

Ikwaylx

Years
Today's segment of fighting monotype! It's really, really long.
Torkoal.png
pkrs103.gif
Fury Of Flames!
pkrs102.gif

pkrs005.gif

images

Stallion's Blog
Mood - Hungry!
Thought of the day:
Smashing rocks in face fun!

New partner joins team, call self Marcus. Marcus small and puny, Stallion train Marcus in hot cave. He destroy many slugma despite poison! Stallion love training.
While training, Marcus get all muscly and belt grow on waist. Stallion ask where he got belt, Tarion explain it come from place called hammerspace. Stallion interested in magic hammerspace.
Trainer find lonely old lady who forced him to rest for hours. Stallion knew old lady was lonely, but small urge to fake out came. Stallion sorry.

Route 113 cold and boring, trainers no match for VITAL THROW! Find TM for Double Team, handy!
Fallarbor boring too, Stallion and Marcus push trainer through town. Fighting type strong! Fighting type need no full health!
Meteor falls cool, we break rocks that look like the sun and meet evil magma coats! Then meet cool aqua coats! Stallion wonder what magma coats plan do with meteor thingy they steal from small scientist man. Trainer seems to know already...

Go back through rusturf tunnel after fighting inspiration! Blackbelt Nob! Stallion hear rumours that Nob famous by many. Nob cool! Stallion proud to beat up his pokemon!
Mt Chimney made Stallion sweaty! So hot fighting on top of active volcano. Cool seeing aqua coats fighting magma coats. Wish they would use strong pokemon like Hariyama! Poocheyna weak...

rstrainer51.png

This man stronger than grunt! Name was Tabitha, Tabitha stupid name. Still thrash, but...
rstrainer30.png

Maxie stronger still! He use Camerupt which hurt friends! Golbat big challenge... Tarion handle things good. Beat Maxie easy.

Stallion tired of writing, Stallion take break for big meal, maybe give trainer journal back. Stallion want to see what it like to write journal and did! Not as good as Stallion expected. Wonder how Stallion can write anyway?

rstrainer75.png
More Leaders For the Fire
rstrainer74.png

Entering Lavaridge, one thought was clear. The gym leader was here, and it was time to thrash her to the ground. 4 badges and I would be able to fight Dad: Norman, so it's of upmost importance that the gym leader Flannery goes down and out.
Flannery's gym is an odd puzzle, but there's no reason to skip trainers. All of them were roasted by Tarion and crew, who, by this point, were significantly more experienced. The trainers are starting to catch up with our levels though which is like a blessing. This is called a challenge, but it really isn't being challenging, so it's nice that the foes I fight can be closer to my level; the AI still sucks though.

The final room with Flannery, the new gym leader of lavaridge waiting there. Flannery is that one gym leader that'll completely ahniliate your team if you don't have something that can avoid huge damage from overheat. Luckily, I have two pokemon that can avoid overheat blasting. Stallion has Thick Fat and Tarion is a fire type, so this fight is a doozy.

Battle!:rambo:
Flannery
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzlyNoh5TSI&feature=channel]Battle video![/url]
The battle between Flannery was easy, the two slugmas fell short of Stallion and Tarion, but Torkoal was a different story entirely.
Fighting Torkoal with Tarion involved having two Bulk Ups beforehand. Regardless of this, Tarion's physical attacks did nigh nothing to it.
Double Kick? Cannot dent its shell. Strength? Don't make it laugh!
Marcus had to come in to take this son of a turtle down. Sadly, it became infected with the deadly disease known as Parattraction, which caused the fight to drag on for just that little bit longer.

After a decent battle, Flannery went down, and the Heat Badge went straight into my possesion. Where to next? There's the desert in Route 111!

There's not much to talk about in the desert, so at this point, it's really just best to say that Sandshrews and their ability to dodge attacks in sandstorms really aren't cool. Nor is the ability Arena Trap. I found a few items though which is always nice.

Soon after, Petalburg came into view from the sands that the nearby route contained. Many trainers come and fail against Norman due to his strong physical attacks. However, there is one problem with Norman, and that problem is called the fighting type. Some trainers recommend that you catch a Machop and train it, but I already have one, and 3 other fighting types to help thrash down this tough opponent.

The gym itself is unique, there are rooms with a trainer in. Each trainer holding one Pokemon; to make it seem like a true trial battle, I suppose. However, because of the strength of Marcus, Brealeg, Tarion and Stallion combined - each one of them fainted like a tower of blocks falling into itself. Really. Really. Easy.

Battle! Round Two!:rambo:
Norman
Battle Video!

The first opponent is Slaking, level 28. Stallion trumped this match with fake out to start. While it didn't do much damage, the fact that it flinched was the clincher, buying Stallion some time to buff.
Each time the Slaking would loaf, I would counter with Bulk up to prepare for a Vital Throw sweep. Goodbye Slaking A and Vigoroth. Vital throw is tough to avoid, but it's too bad that it always attacks second, as it puts a spanner in the works for sweeping with Stallion.
The final slaking that Norman has, however, had a lucky break. Critical hit facade: wow. Goodbye Stallion, I don't think anything could've handled that. After all, Slaking has an insane amount of attack power and facade is a powerful enough move in its own right. Nevertheless, Tarion saves the day with bulking up combined to the sound of two kicks to the Slaking's face. While Facade might hurt, using double kick works just as well.
In all, Norman was an easy fight with just an unlucky twist. There's not much to expect from a normal type gym leader who happens to be against his son, who loves Fighting types.
The next gym leaders will be much harder though, as we have Winoa, the flying type trainer and the psychic duo Tate and Liza. I expect Winoa to be difficult, but Tate and Liza the opposite due to the Rock type Lunatone and Solrock which my team can take out without breaking much sweat. By that time I'll have Heracross and Meditite as well. It's quite odd that psychic type gym leaders tend to be really easy for me.

Current Team!

pkrs005.gif

Tarion
Level 32
89 HP
Ember
Double Kick
Bulk Up
Strength

pkrs035.gif

Brealeg
Level 31
84 HP
Mach Punch
Mega Drain
Stun Spore
Leech Seed

pkrs049.gif

Stallion
Level 30
131 HP
Vital Throw
Bulk Up
Fake Out
Rock Smash

pkrs074.gif

Marcus
Level 31
97 HP
Revenge
Foresight
Seismic Toss
Karate Chop

That's all for today! Long post, better get used to them really. :P

Last edited:
Years
It's been a month or so since my last update on this challenge, but today I finally continued.

Player: mondays suck
Type: Bug
Badges: 7
Generation: IV (Platinum)

So, first, let's commemorate what was:The last time, I had just beaten Candice with my team of Stryke the Scyther and Anisoptera the (underleveled, at least when compared to Scyther) Yanmega. This team also includes Kricket the Kricketune, but it has not really been used since I got Scyther.
The next thing to do - after seeing that my rival/friend/whatever had lost against one of these Galactic commanders was conquering their building in Veilstone. It was not much of a challenge, so Yanmega could finally catch up to Scyther's level. The two bosses in this building, Cyrus and Saturn were both pretty easy.
Next was Mt.Coronet, second part of the most dragging quest ever in the history of Pokemon. By only using Scyther for the way up to Spear Pillar (except for Golbats), I managed to get there in a minimum time and without much damage, only some priority stuff.
And then it was already time for the next boss battle, this time against Mars and Jupiter. I started with Yanmega, and it could take those Bronzor's Rock Slides surprisingly well despite being 4x weak to Rock. Yanmega fought like a beast, and when it reached the red HP zone (and was almost totally out of PP) and got switched out, it had beaten all of their Pokemon except for the Skuntank almost on its own, my rival's Pokemon did not really succeed in anything. Scyther finished it off. Battle Won.
The last part of this huge Galactic Quest is even more annoying, the Platinum exclusiv Distortion World. By using a walkthrough on Youtube, I managed it in maybe 20 minutes, otherwise it would have taken hours, I hate that place.
At the end of this world, Cyrus is waiting, and on my first attempt, I got my butt handed to me pretty fast.
I still had Yanmega as my lead, he sent out Houndoom. Oh great. One Ancientpower boost and a survived Flamethrower later, things were looking different, I was sure I was about to win easily now. Houndoom died to my next Ancient Power, this time I got no boost. His next Pokemon was Honchkrow. I would have never expected that, but it did barely survive an Ancientpower and killed Yanmega with Drill Peck. Scyther, my second and last real Pokemon, killed the raven, but the thing that came next, Crobat outspeeded and OHKOd (WTF?) it with a crit Air Slash.

So, this battle demotivated me again, since I apparently can't beat Cyrus despite me being able to hit all of his Pokemon super-effective, and I can't even go anywhere to do some grinding. Not really the nicest situation to be in.

Team:
Spr_4p_402_m.png

Kricket / Kricketune m Lv.46 @ /
Naughty Nature / Swarm
- Sing
- Rock Smash
- X Scissor
- Night Slash
This thing isn't good for anything anymore, but since it still has a pretty high level, I'm still listing it here.
Spr_4p_123_m.png

Stryke / Scyther f Lv.54 @ Fist Plate
Naughty Nature / Technician
- Brick Break
- Night Slash
- X Scissor
- Aerial Ace
I was feeling kinda invincible with this overleveled and offensivly incredibly strong thing, but now not anymore...
Spr_4p_469.png

Anisoptera / Yanmega f Lv.51 @ /
Modest Nature / Tinted Lens
- Giga Drain
- Shadow Ball
- Ancient Power
- Silver Wind

I hate Ancientpower and friends. I have lost so many times because of it (one name: Steven), but when I use it, I rarely get the boost... And when I get it, it doesn't help, as seen above.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Last edited:

Charmageddon

Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
I reckon you should either trade Scyther there and back to get Scizor, or if that's impossible get yourself a Steel Wormadam. Those pesky Flying-types won't be so tough after that. ;)

Yeah, Slash is broken in Gen. 1 - it doesn't benefit from Swords Dance at all.

But if you have a Base speed of over 63, it always crits. So that really doesn't matter.

What he said.

100th page!

Years
I have no way to trade, but Steel Wormadam seems like a good idea to me. The only reason why I didn't get one yet is my massive dislike towards honey trees. Too bad I'm still in Distortion World right before the Cyrus battle, so there's no way back for me. The only thing I could try would be losing, and then hoping that I get back to Hearthome's Pokemon Center.

Update: Forget about Wormadam-S or whatever other way to beat Flyers , I managed to beat Cyrus now, so
I'm not going to see many of them at once any more.
This time I used Scyther as my lead in the first thing that happened was Houndoom getting OHKOd. Then, against Honchkrow, I put Yanmega in, and Ancientpowered it to death. Also got a boost. Next was Crobat. That thing that utterly destroyed me the last time. This time things were different. Yanmega was alive, and severly damaged it with a boosted Ancientpower before going down. Next turn, he healed Crobat and Scyther's Aerial Ace did about 2/3. Next turn, Air Slash didn't crit, instead he got a flinch. Oh great. I already thought i was losing again. But miraculously, Scyther surived the next Air Slash with just 2 HO left and KOd Crobat. But, I was still far away from winning this, since all useful healing items in my bag were 2 Hyper Potions and 1 Full Restore. The first of these Hyper Potions got used in the next turn while Gyarados' Ice Fang only did about 1/3. Then, I got a Aerial Ace crit in the next turn that bypassed my -1 Attack from Intimidate and OHKOd Gyarados. Suddenly there was hope again. But my victory was not ensured yet, since Crobat managed to outspeed Scyther , it is not impossible that Weavile can do that as well. And, even if not, it could still have Ice Shard which would definetely hurt. Luckily, none of these did happen and Brick Break OHKOd the thing.
Next: Giratina. I hope Scyther's Night Slash will be able to take it down.

Last edited:

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
um, updatish type post.

beat Sabrina with a lvl 33 Lapras :D .
beat Koga with a lvl 39 Lapras :D .
Travelled to Seafoam Islands, caught Staryu and Seel.
Went back to train new pkmns.

my team

Seel 34
Staryu 31
Gyarados 48
Blastiose 50
Lapras 44

i need to do more levelling :) .

Flamboyant

Girlpowershipping fangirl ♥
Years
Ok, so it's been a long time since I've written here.

Sooooo, I evolved Collossus and battled my way throught S.S Anne, then beat Lt. Surge very easily (dig is my friend).
Then I took PIkachu out of the PC to give it Flash (and caught a Pidgey to give it Fly). Went trough Rock Tunnel, no problems. Arrived to Lavender town, tried to catch a Cubone, but remembered that the Silph Co. was needed fot them also. So I went to Celadon, beat Team Rocket (All of Giovanni's team lost, one by one, to Mafiosos). I got the Silph Co, but I decided to pay Erika a visit before returning to the pokemon tower. Fortunatly for me, her team is composed of almost grass/poison types only, so dig went through them all. I got fly also. So now I'm here, in front of the pokemon tower (and I want a Cubone ><;).

My team as of right now:

Collossus lvl 34
gby076.gif

-Rock slide
-Body slam
-Rock throw
-Selfdestruct

Mafiosos lvl 35
gby051.gif

-Slash
-Cut
-Dig