• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Football/Soccer Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Well, Inter Milan defeated all expectations and beat Bayer Munchen 2-3 in the last minutes. Bayern will be remembering that ball that ran freely over the goal line until someone managed to kick it... into the wood. The champions won't give up so easily.

Also, Barça player Eric Abidal was diagnosed liver cancer and will undergo surgery this Friday, in the best (hopefully) scenario, he'll be out for the rest of the season.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
I flicked on the TV just as Man Utd conceded, totally forgot about it. :(

Looks like i got the Inter prediction bang on though. :)

Only a couple of hours until this seasons MLS kicks off, anyone follow that league?

Years
It's a trait of successful teams. xD

I'm not sure what game, if any i'll watch tonight. Might end up watching Seattle Sounders v LA Galaxy on ESPN. :L

How have Manchester United been this season, good to watch?

Terrible to watch but somehow our seemingly incapable squad have got the job done.

Well, Inter Milan defeated all expectations and beat Bayer Munchen 2-3 in the last minutes. Bayern will be remembering that ball that ran freely over the goal line until someone managed to kick it... into the wood. The champions won't give up so easily.

Also, Barça player Eric Abidal was diagnosed liver cancer and will undergo surgery this Friday, in the best (hopefully) scenario, he'll be out for the rest of the season.

Good luck to Abidal.

And Manchester United go through to the final 8.
No thanks to the useless Wes Brown.​

He has been a good servant, I think we can let him off for one shoddy performance.

I flicked on the TV just as Man Utd conceded, totally forgot about it. :(

Looks like i got the Inter prediction bang on though. :)

Only a couple of hours until this seasons MLS kicks off, anyone follow that league?

I watched a Seattle game once to see how good Montero was. Other than that, no. I think MLS will get a bit more popular in the coming years though with players like Beckham & Henry moving over there.

Gabri

m8
Years
Liverpool must be going really bad this season.
But SC Braga were good too :D It's nice for them, and nice for the Portuguese football.

Years
Liverpool must be going really bad this season.
But SC Braga were good too :D It's nice for them, and nice for the Portuguese football.

Does anyone actually rate Kyut?
I think he is a horrible player. I don't care if he scored a hatrick, anyone could have put them home last week. You know the total distance of his goals? From where he touched the ball to the goal? 7 feet! The total of his goals! XD

Anyway, CL draw was interesting. We would have to get Chelsea.​

Ivysaur

Years
So, there are a lot of chances that we'll end up with this:

La Liga: Madrid-Barça 16 April
Copa del Rey: Barça-Madrid 20 April
CL Semifinal 1st leg: Madrid-Barça 26-27 April
CL Semifinal 2nd leg: Barça-Madrid 3-4 May

I can see a civil war starting here in a couple of months.

Years
So, there are a lot of chances that we'll end up with this:

La Liga: Madrid-Barça 16 April
Copa del Rey: Barça-Madrid 20 April
CL Semifinal 1st leg: Madrid-Barça 26-27 April
CL Semifinal 2nd leg: Barça-Madrid 3-4 May

I can see a civil war starting here in a couple of months.

Sounds fun.

I wouldn't count Spurs out yet though, I can't remember the last time Madrid did well in Europe and Spurs have really stepped their game up in the champions league. I would say don't count Shakhtar out but its a bit pointless.

It doesn't look like a good run-in for us anyway, Fergie banned off the touchline for five games.

Years
England ALL OVER Wales today in the Euro 2011 group stage. It seemed like England just got bored after the second gold in the 15th minute.
Too easy of a game really.​

Lowreh

I'd be Gary if I could
Years
Its a shame Carroll scored though, he is supposed to fail at international level. :(

I disagree with this, I think Andy Carroll will be a great player for years to come. He's a great target man.

Although the 35mil price tag still baffles.

Ivysaur

Years
Inter 2- Schalke 5

I just don't even. That's even more amazing that Madrid playing ( nd winning) a quarterfinal, I'd say.

Gabri

m8
Years
Portugal owns the Europa League. Just saying. :D
All three teams have done something historical. But I think the one that must be complimented the most is SC Braga. Taking down Celtic and Sevilla in the Champions, then being 3rd place in the group stage (which could perfectly be 2nd!), then eliminating Liverpool and Kiev in the Europa League... they are heroes over here! Now they'll meet SL Benfica in the semifinals.

Heck, the semifinals are two awesome matches. Either Braga - Benfica and Porto - Villarreal will be great games with unpredictable results. I strongly believe that we will have a Portuguese final in the Europa League.

About the Champions League, Schalke is doing great but I don't think they will get past Man U and, like Went said previously, there will be a civil war in Spain. Barça - Real is a must-watch game. 4 matches between those two in less than a month will raise hell xD

Ivysaur

Years
I'm already getting my bulletproof vest, I don't think it's safe anymore for me to support Barça here in Madrid XD I think I'll just watch the matches at home, with my friends (specially since all four are going to be on public TV channels, so we don't really need to go to a pub this time XD).

Also, the match against Porto is going to be something worth watching. Hopefully Villarreal will be celebrating something when I go visit my step-dad there this summer.

So, first go, Madrid-Barça (Liga): The referee was crap, I tell you. It took him two identical penalties on Villa to realize he had a whistle on his hand, and he liked it so much that he made up another one for Madrid just to compensate things up.

Not like it matters much since Madrid needed to win to have a slim chance to win the league and they didn't, so... three in a row for Barça now.

Let's see what happens next Wednesday during the cup.

Last edited:
Years
I feel sorry for Ronaldo, he deserves better than the current Madrid team.

While not trying to sound to overconfident, I think Schalke will be brushed aside fairly simply.

Wenty, we're after De Gea now apparently. :D Then again Aguero was supposed to have moved to United about three years ago and still nothing.

Years
So... ManU playing with Schalke on 26th April...
ManU pretty much defeated my favorite Chelsea, oh well. Schalke did annoy me more with beating Inter, so I'll support ManU.

As for Barca vs. Madrid on 27th... Well... Hala Madrid!

Years
So... ManU playing with Schalke on 26th April...
ManU pretty much defeated my favorite Chelsea, oh well. Schalke did annoy me more with beating Inter, so I'll support ManU.

:3
Man United should win that. I know we suffered a blow to Man City, but I think we have a good chance in the Champions League.​

Years
  • Seen Sep 4, 2014
Don't miss wednesday BENFICA x fc porto, second leg of the semi-finals of the Portuguese Cup. My Benfica is going to knock out porto.

Ivysaur

Years

As for Barca vs. Madrid on 27th... Well... Hala Madrid!

They threw a party because they tied a match they needed to win against Barça playing at home, losing the Liga on the process. I'd like to see how they do in Valencia during the Cup final and in Barcelona in the CL 2nd leg.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I'm not massively big on football, but all the recent brouhaha regarding Torres and Chelsea has become so intense amongst my friends that even I'll end up knowing when he finally scores for them. All I know is that £50 million is a crapload of money, even if it is for a very good player. (There's also all the Facebook groups like 'I've scored as many goals for Chelsea as Torres' and 'Chelsea could have had 294,117,647 Freddo bars instead of Torres', which are always good for a mild chuckle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back