• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Just to interject quickly, one Australian state passed same-sex marriage the other day and the High Court of Australia overruled it because marriage is seen as a federal issue and the state marriage law could not coinicide with the Australian version of DOMA. So it's a pretty **** day to be an Australian today.

Yeah, well, this was to be expected, to be perfectly honest with you. The ruling class, and the judiciary, are very conservative and neither views homosexuality in a very good light. It is only grudgingly that they even accept that gays and lesbians and bisexuals and transgender people should have any protections at all. It's going to be a very long time before that country recognizes same sex marriages.

So long as the people in that country continue to vote for these legislators, you will never have equal rights in Australia. It's a failure on the part of the people.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Holy crap you know about Australia, random Canadian. More than I even take enough interest to know haha. I wasn't surprised either, the way they put the law in was a little dodgy but it was worth a try. At the very least we can focus on the more important countries that are recognising it. Australia is nothing really; when it becomes widespread enough in America we'll follow because that's just what we do

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Holy crap you know about Australia, random Canadian. More than I even take enough interest to know haha. I wasn't surprised either, the way they put the law in was a little dodgy but it was worth a try. At the very least we can focus on the more important countries that are recognising it. Australia is nothing really; when it becomes widespread enough in America we'll follow because that's just what we do

I make it a point to keep abreast of any an all news pertaining to the LGBT community as much as possible. And as a gay rights advocate, it's definitely an asset to know what's going on in the world.

Years
I figured Andy would have brought this up when I saw it mentioned in the news. After what happened in India this is just rubbing salt in the wound. I feel like The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert lied to me.

Shining Raichu

Years
I only just saw that movie earlier this year lol, but I can say with absolute certainty that yes, they did lie to you. It's just lucky as I say that we're not a real country - what we do with ourselves affects nothing on the outside world like it would if we were America.

Years
So, back to the Russian Olympics. Normally with the Olympics you get presidents and other high ups going as part of the delegation, but this time the US, French, and other presidents aren't going, but the US is sending as part of its delegation a very famous athlete named Billie Jean King who also happens to be the first high profile woman to come out, and that was back in the dark ages known as the 80s.

This was a brilliant move.

Warship

異議あり!
Years
hi i'd like to join as well ^^ im heterosexual though im a big supporter of the gay community and im kinda sick of people seeing them as second-rate people just because of their prejudices -.-

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
Bringing my girl over to meet my parents for Christmas Eve.

Nervous and excited. I've already met her family and it went well. Fingers crossed!

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
Years

Nervous and excited. I've already met her family and it went well. Fingers crossed!

I hope everything goes well, I remember exactly how nervous I was when I first met my girls family, but everything was great.
Don't worry, i'm sure everything will go fine!

Shining Raichu

Years
It's been a great year for us actually; I saw on Facebook a list of 46 awesome moments for the LGBT world. I'll post it here when I'm on my laptop next, there were some pretty cool videos to watch in there too.

Phantom1

Years

I hope everything goes well, I remember exactly how nervous I was when I first met my girls family, but everything was great.
Don't worry, i'm sure everything will go fine!

Thanks!

It went pretty well. My parents are the good sort of crazy and she got to see that there was a lot of laughing.

While my mom was packing up some cookies for her, with her, my mom complained that some on the bottom of the tray were broken. Me from the across the room exclaimed that all broken ones were mine, that I called them, etc. Mom looks over to my girl and goes, "Sorry your girlfriend called them."

It was a huge step. So happy. :D

Shining Raichu

Years
That's the cutest story ever lol - it's those little things that make all the difference and I like those better because they're showing you subtly rather than going to the awkward trouble of telling you.

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
Years
So, I spend Christmas with my GF's family. It was the first time we've met [except her mother] and it went really well. Her father was really nice and treated me like one of the family, [Even so far as teasing me, by making me think i was sleeping on the sofa downstairs] both of her brothers were really cool and funny. Overall it was a better Christmas that I ever had with my own family.

Much success.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Hey, been awhile since I posted here... I moved closer to the big city awhile ago, and have yet to meet anyone around here... so I'm sort of on the lonely side. I found This and was thinking about going to it to try and meet some people. I'm thinking that if the people are as flamboyant as the website, I'll be really out of place though. lol

Just wondering if anyone has experience with non-school-lgbt-club-thingies, and what I should expect if I'm just going there to hang out and make friends.

Phantom1

Years
That's the cutest story ever lol - it's those little things that make all the difference and I like those better because they're showing you subtly rather than going to the awkward trouble of telling you.

I know, right? The night was full of little moments like these...

Only to have my mom a few days later, talking about her and then my mom made a face. She just goes, "I can't believe you have a girlfriend."

And I'm just like, "Yeah."

Then my mom pauses. "Ew you kiss her don't you?"

I was really, really trying hard not to laugh.

So, I spend Christmas with my GF's family. It was the first time we've met [except her mother] and it went really well. Her father was really nice and treated me like one of the family, [Even so far as teasing me, by making me think i was sleeping on the sofa downstairs] both of her brothers were really cool and funny. Overall it was a better Christmas that I ever had with my own family.

Much success.

Same! It's sort of weird yet awesome when a new family just sort of... lets you in, and so easily.

I am meeting her grandparents today. And her little brother, who's 13, is apparently going to be there too. And according to my gf, he really likes me and has been asking when he'd see me next.

OMG! She has a really little brother, like two. Me, her, and her older brother were on the couch watching a video, and he waddles up to me, arms outstretched like he as going to come to me. Then he pauses for a second, really looks at me, then changes direction toward her. It was adorable. The little gears in his head were spinning like, "Wait... I don't know you." It was just freaking adorable.

In other Phantom news, I've contacted my old high school. It's an inter-city private Catholic school, but it's always been rather open and accepting of diversity amongst its students. I've spoken to the board of directors and my fellow alum on the board, and I've gotten permission to start a new school club, an LGBT-ally group. It will be the first in the schools over one hundred year history (The school is like 115 years old). I will be leading it, as well as with the help of a few teachers and volunteer upper classmen. It will be about learning about the different orientations, learning how to deal with family, coming out, and just society in general. We'll do fun things too, like outings and volunteering at LGBT related agencies in the area. (Yay for Minneapolis being the gayest city in the US!)

Years
Wow, I am impressed to find an LGBT thread here of all places. In the good way of course :)

Sign me up to the thread. I'm proud to be openly gay. Came out and never looked back

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Welcome to 2014 everyone! I hope this is another year of progress in terms of equal rights for all.

I stumbled across this tumblr post whilst browsing earlier - a trans NPC in Pokémon? :o

Back