• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Did you use the Red Gyarados?

Guy

just a guy
Years
By the time I got to the Red Gyarados, either I already had my Water type with me or I knew what it was going to be; usually it wasn't going to be Gyarados. So after I caught it, I'd either use it as my temporary Surf / Waterfall HM slave or put it in my PC Box. After that, well, you know...

Years
I'm not a fan of Gyarados, even if it IS shiny. I'm pretty sure I boxed it and forgot about it completely. It loses all of its value as a shiny since everyone can get it.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
In my first run, I caught it and temporarily used it as an HM slave. I later boxed it since I had no intention of using him on my team. I already had a water type, anyways. In my next run, I was doing a challenge, so I fainted the Red Gyarados. I used it way more in the original games, though. I was far more attracted to shiny rare things as a kid. :P

Years
  • Seen Sep 5, 2019
I never used it, because my pokemon at that point were ridiculously overleveled at like 45-49 and that gyrados was only 30 so not worth the training. :L

Warship

異議あり!
Years
i usually use the red gyarados for battling but only until i beat the main storyline. then i just box it and take better pokemon

Charzar

Fire Dragon
Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2023
Who doesn't want a shiny beast on his team?
One who already planned his team ^^

Anyways, Charizard ftw :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
In the old games, I think I used one, but not in the remakes. Gyarados may be a really good pokemon and a shiny one may be cool to have in a team, but I like to have an individual team and so I use shinys only if I have the luck to catch a random one. Unfortunatle in SS it never happened ^^"

Google2.0

Stand Alone Complex
Years
I always used him in the old games, simply because it´s a powerfull pokemon.
However in soul silver i didn´t.

Oshy

♩♫♩
Years
  • Seen Apr 23, 2013
Noo. When I encountered it my pokemon inflicted a critical hit ad it fainted and fled. I threw my DS at the wall and never touched it for about 2 weeks. lolwut

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
No I didn't, I prefer to catch the first form of a pokemon and then train it up.

Also I didn't like using the gyarados because it felt like the game was giving me a boost and I didn't need a boost. (besides I think at that stage of the game my team was locked down, so no room for the gyarados anyway....I think in Soul Silver I was already using a Starmie.)

and as somebody else stated, it's nicer using shinys in your team when it's one you actually came across rather than something scripted that everyone will get.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Noo. When I encountered it my pokemon inflicted a critical hit ad it fainted and fled. I threw my DS at the wall and never touched it for about 2 weeks. lolwut

That's why you should save before any important battles! At least, that's what I do. :p

Years
  • Age 23
  • No.
  • Seen May 1, 2014
I actually did use that Gyarados,
it wasn't very good at first. But later it became useful.
Though it's not a part of my team now. I never used it since beating the game.
But I might use it, if it's necessary that is.

Back