• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Blaziken too broken 4 Ruby/Sapphire

Artifactor

Music is Life
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 22, 2010
i was just thinking today about what starter pokemon are best for which region in the pokemon world based on gym leaders and elite four and i cam to a realization, blaziken might have too broken for ruby and sapphire

torchic evolves into combusken at lv 14 and learns double kick and becomes a fighting type

1st badge. type advantage (fighting > rock)
2nd badge. normal (fighting=fighting)
3rd badge. type advantage (fighting > steel [magemite & mageton])
4th badge. normal (fighting=fire)
5th badge. type advantage (fighting > normal)
6th badge. disadvantage (flying > fighting)
7th badge. type advantage (tate and lisa only use rock pokemon in [solrock and lunatone])
8th badge. disadvantage (water > fire)

1st elite four. advantage (fighting > dark)
2nd elite four. normal
3rd elite four. advantage (fighting & fire > ice)
4th eliete four. disadvantage
champion. total advantage (fighting & fire > steel, rock, and grass)
note blaziken is the only starter pokemon in hoenn who can score super effective hits on all pokemon in any of the elite four or champion's teams.

overall this starter pokemon has type advantage in half of the gyms, half the elite four, and the champion, not to mention has advantage in most of the pokemon in team aqua.

any comments discuss them here

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
Yeah, Blaziken is pretty good. But you have to remember, just because you have a type advantage, you won't always beat the enemy pokemon (if under leveled). My lv. 5 Makuhita has a type advantage against a Slaking, but it dies every time. I wonder why.

Leader Soulja Boy

Batesville Gym Leader
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 16, 2011
Brokeness is only applied to competitive battling, not in-game battles, so that's irrelevant.

Tate & Liza use Psychic, with-dual Rock, so Fighting moves are not super-effective. But there Psychic and Rock attacks are super-effective, so that's a disadvantage.

The 3rd Elite Four member also uses a lot of Water moves, so that evens the playing field. Steven uses lots of Ground moves like Earthqauke and also owns a Claydol which could cause problems. The Emerald Champion is a definite disadvantage.

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2009
Brokeness is only applied to competitive battling, not in-game battles, so that's irrelevant.

Tate & Liza use Psychic, with-dual Rock, so Fighting moves are not super-effective. But there Psychic and Rock attacks are super-effective, so that's a disadvantage.

The 3rd Elite Four member also uses a lot of Water moves, so that evens the playing field. Steven uses lots of Ground moves like Earthqauke and also owns a Claydol which could cause problems. The Emerald Champion is a definite disadvantage.

listen to this man, for he speaks the truth

Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2009
lol, but that doesn't make it completely indestructible. If you only raise him, then one of the elite takes him out or something, you better have some revives and potions, or your screwed.

Plus, what about the main enemy, team aqua/magma? He's not good against water or fire.

Although yeah, type DOES make a difference. I beat a level 14.... something.... I think nosepass.... with a level 5 sedot one time. It was PWNage.

Although I know I'm about to get a lot of crap about that. "Hey, I beat a level 30 with a level 5, what makes you so great?"

Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2009
in the guide book, it classifies torchic as "advanced" and mudkip for beginners... personally if u pick mudkip u will nvr PWN ur rival or the gym leaders.
@@@ SMG
team aqua uses poochyena or mightyena more then water type... double kick will beat the crap out of those muts...

Eos Aduro

The Kid with the Bullet Soul
Years
Well its not ALL about being super effective, consider how Marshtomp and Swampert have 1 weakness, grass, and there isnt a grass gym leader or elite four, making it MUCH more powerful, especially where Blaziken falls short.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
in the guide book, it classifies torchic as "advanced" and mudkip for beginners... personally if u pick mudkip u will nvr PWN ur rival or the gym leaders.
@@@ SMG
team aqua uses poochyena or mightyena more then water type... double kick will beat the crap out of those muts...

Also some of the Guide books can't spell some of the Pokemon right or classify them wrong, so sometimes you shouldn't trust them. Also team Magma and Aqua their Pokemon are very weak so pretty much any Pokemon can knock them out, the person can get a fighting type Pokemon on the way you know

Divine~Deoxys

Notice how nobody mentions Treecko?? It learns pursuit early on, is really strong against about half the pokemon in Hoenn because there is so much water. This means it gets an extremely high level, and can absolutely rock ass.

Basically, it's like every region: Any starter will do.

Eos Aduro

Years
The only REAL big disadvantage is Chikorita in GOld/Silver, the gyms are

Flying-Weak
Bug-Weak
Normal-Neutral
Ghost-(All of them are Ghost-Poison, so)-Weak
Fighting-Neutral
Steel-Weak
Ice-Weak
Dragon-Neutral

So it has no real advantage.

Musician of Literature

La musica es la fuerza...
Years
Yeah, Blaziken is pretty good. But you have to remember, just because you have a type advantage, you won't always beat the enemy pokemon (if under leveled). My lv. 5 Makuhita has a type advantage against a Slaking, but it dies every time. I wonder why.

It is easy. Makuhita is a LV 5. Slaking is a way higher level. I admit, blaziken is a tough Pokemon with it's advantages, but I do not like fire types. They burn down the beautiful Grass Types (I might be ChaosOfNature, who, by looking at the name, might like chaos and destruction, but I like Grass types) of Hoenn...

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
I'm pretty sure Torchic evolves at lvl 16 and Tate and Liza have plenty of other Psychic pokemon in emerald.

Phoebe also uses ghost pokemon and fighting doesn't affect ghosts.

Blaziken is probably gonna have some trouble against surf from a Walrein.

Claydol would totally kill a Blaziken.

Blaziken gets pretty beaten up by Camerupt, its earthquake will pretty much smash your Blaziken to bits.

So Blaziken doesn't really have that much of an advantage.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
In competitive play Swampert is much more broken than Blaziken and Sceptile. In fact, if its speed and typing didn't make Sceptile a good counter, Swampert could easily sweep both of them easily...

The Roshi

I must become stronger...
Years
Type effectiveness does matter in-game. If you're type effective you will win 99% of the time in-game. Yes I agree Blaziken destroys Hoenn.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 1, 2010
Only 3 starters are OU, Empoleon, Infernape, and Swampert.

thats only in DPPt Metagame , RSE Metagame differs than DPPt , and Blaziken was in OU back in ADV , Blaziken was a shining Rockstar with base 120 Atk and 110 SpA and a respective 80 Speed , till Infernape came and teased at Blaziken's 80 Speed with its perfect 108 Speed and the access to OHKO Swampert with Grass Knot

Eos Aduro

Years
thats only in DPPt Metagame , RSE Metagame differs than DPPt , and Blaziken was in OU back in ADV , Blaziken was a shining Rockstar with base 120 Atk and 110 SpA and a respective 80 Speed , till Infernape came and teased at Blaziken's 80 Speed with its perfect 108 Speed and the access to OHKO Swampert with Grass Knot

Touche, admittedly in RSE Blaziken was OU, and in the context of the thread she still would be.

(Am I the only one whos always called Blaziken a she?)

Steelcurtain10reborn

Beginning Ev trainer
Years
Torchic is the best starter for hoenh,Blaziken can sweep R/S's Elite 4,Game Freak could have done better with making an actually Challenging Elite 4.......
I'll always pick Torchic because its last evolution is Blaziken and Blaziken is dah bomb!

Back