• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

lol

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
No, I don't really use emoticons and such acronyms outside of instant messaging.

I don't use XD at all. Hate it when people do that, especially if they make it a XD;. I don't even know what that means and it's just annoying as **** to look at.
I believe the semi-colon represents a sweatdrop. It is oddly placed considering the emoticon's orientation, but people aren't generally at the liberty of typing with Shift JIS (which to my knowledge is what allows Japanese emoticons to be so diverse and clear, yet not difficult to type).

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I tend to use lol, xD, and :3 quite a bit. "lol" never means much when I say it; I use it as a filler word to acknowledge something that may be slightly amusing or lighthearted. "xD" I use when I'm cheerful- that's how it comes out in text. ":3" is about equivalent of a smile, since I just don't like ":)" and variants.

When I actually find something quite funny, I usually choose "rofl", "pfft" or "hahahaha".

Excerpt from Beginner's Guide to Anna, volume 4, chapter 13, section 6b.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
Years
For anyone who really knows me, I shouldn't have to even explain myself here. XD

But yeah, I use XD like it's a verbal tic. XD For me, it generally means that whatever I am saying, I mean in as light hearted a manner as one can possibly muster. If I use XDD (with the two D's, for clarification) that is generally more of an actual "Haha, that's funny" type of message. And, essentially, if I don't use XD in a post, it means I am being dead serious. Which makes chats sometimes a little weird when I post a message, and forget the XD than have to quickly type XD and hit enter os the other person knows I am joking or something. XD

7 XD's, er, 8, in this message alone, including non-emotive ones. God I am addicted to the emoticon. XD

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
I often use "lol," but not xD. Latter usually has an emoticon that substitutes that (For example: :laugh:). I also sometimes use :L if I'm too lazy to type out "lol," but sometimes I just use other words like "roflcopter" or "mfw" when I express something that is ridiculously funny, ironic, or dumb.

aruchan

I resent the title beginner :D
Years
  • Seen Oct 30, 2011
I overuse emoticons compulsively, especially "xD", ":o", and ":p". I'm kind of ashamed of that, really. xD Like half my conversation is random hieroglyphs. :D

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2012
I use faces sometimes, but they aren't always like super happy ones. And I kinda of say lol a lot when I'm on facebook im or something like that. sometimes even pc if i'm in that mood, ahaa. lol. <- see. Anyway, I don't really over use it, I guess... maybe a little? I kind of forgot what I was trying to say. smh. (-_-)

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
Years
I don't usually use 'lol' much on forums; I ALWAYS use XD or other alphabet faces however on forums. On facebook and text messages I always use 'lol' and hardly ever use alphabet faces. I have no idea why I tend to do this however...

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Years
I only use lol when I'm being a smartass.
I haven't used XD in like 2 years. I like to think I have better things to say than to spam those haha. I do use "lmfao" a lot though. e_e...

I dont think the use is overbearing though.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
I used to hate using "lol" I don't know why, it just used to irk me. I used to use XDD;;;; way too much. But now I love using lol, it's better than XDDD or xDD; which is a bit over the top, to be honest lol. :x

Guy

just a guy
Years
In general I'd like to cut back on the number of times I use the word "lol" or the common emoticons such as "XD". I'm beginning to find using them a bit tacky and annoying in posts and in general, and while it can show the sort of emotion a message is sending, I would just rather not include them at all. It's a hard habit to break out of seeing how long I've been using them, but I'd like to. I'd much prefer saying "Haha" when I actually do find something humorous or "Omg haha!" when it's really funny.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I used to use XD a lot (and always that one, xD just looks weird), but I really don't do so nowadays. The only smiley I'll really use is :D, and that's quite rare.

As for 'lol', I honestly don't know if I've ever used it non-ironically... even when I was younger, I always thought it was a weird phrase to use. The years haven't endeared it to me.

Years
Lately I've been using lol in my posts, although I try not to. I kind of just use it for filler. It's really pointless. It's never used when I'm actually laughing. ._.;

As for smilies, I used to overuse XD, but I've cut back on that, too. I was a lot more obnoxious when I was a kid. It'd be XD everywhere!

Years
I find myself using "lol" a lot without thinking about it, usually along with mentioning things that actually amuse me.

I think that's really about the only thing I still use...I used to use "XD" in quite a lot of things years ago, but I think I've more or less phased out of using it (honestly can't think of the last time I used it).

Actually, no...what you will see a lot of from me tends to be ":p" or anything along those lines...

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
I used to, but, now I don't really feel the need to put 'XD' after everything, or 'lol' after everything I feel is funny.

Rucario

Madam you see before you stand
Years
Only when I have no idea what the **** someone's talking about. Then I'll be like "lol" then they're like "how is that funny?" As you can imagine, I don't have many friends anymore.

Back