• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2012
I have Hex Workshop, but honestly no idea how to use it. Any advice on where to start learning this stuff?

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Hello, I have another question. How do I make the world map appear? Like when you "talk" to the map in any PokeCenter? Thanks.

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
Years
Okay, I now understand what the problem that occurring with the routes, not so much the special places. My edited routes listed from Routes 49 - Routes 74 are all replaced Kanto routes. The game somehow still technically thinks that it's the original routes, therefore, the locator icon adjusts accordingly. My Route 73 is literally divided in half. If I walk over to the other half of the route, (lets say it contains 24 tiles and I pass over to the 13th tile) the locator icon moves over one 8x8 box to the right. However, for my Route 50, the locator moves in a range of 3 boxes on the map up or down while walking from the north end to the south end or vice versa. In that case the locator gives me wrong locations on the map and overlaps to other routes on the world map. Does anybody know why this occurs? The locator basicaly start at its coordinated position and moves "accordingly" to it's Kanto routes as if it is hard coded?

As for speacial areas, by (0,0) coordinate, I meant that it appears on the map that way in the far upper left corner no matter what coordinate I had set it in the world map editor. Cities with special locations are perfect, but not routes.

And as for the addition of subregions and Kanto incorporated into my game, I fully understand what you mean now redriders180. Thanks alot.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Okay, I now understand what the problem that occurring with the routes, not so much the special places. My edited routes listed from Routes 49 - Routes 74 are all replaced Kanto routes. The game somehow still technically thinks that it's the original routes, therefore, the locator icon adjusts accordingly. My Route 73 is literally divided in half. If I walk over to the other half of the route, (lets say it contains 24 tiles and I pass over to the 13th tile) the locator icon moves over one 8x8 box to the right. However, for my Route 50, the locator moves in a range of 3 boxes on the map up or down while walking from the north end to the south end or vice versa. In that case the locator gives me wrong locations on the map and overlaps to other routes on the world map. Does anybody know why this occurs? The locator basicaly start at its coordinated position and moves "accordingly" to it's Kanto routes as if it is hard coded?

As for speacial areas, by (0,0) coordinate, I meant that it appears on the map that way in the far upper left corner no matter what coordinate I had set it in the world map editor. Cities with special locations are perfect, but not routes.

And as for the addition of subregions and Kanto incorporated into my game, I fully understand what you mean now redriders180. Thanks alot.

I have an image here so you understand what's going wrong:
Spoiler:

The values I circled in red dictate the position your face will appear on when you're on a certain map. They DON'T get automatically updated when you change the routes themselves. You have to enter them in manually, and one at a time. And each route only gets one XY pair, so try and place them in the middle of the route.

The values I circled in green are the coordinates of the cursor, for easy reference. They're the same in this case, because I went in and changed all the values. When I go to this route and open the world map, my head'll show up at (5,3) on the world map.

I'm assuming this is your problem. Also, disregard the glitchy map...it doesn't show up right in the World Map editor >_<

More info: Although, the problem of the routes shifting has never been an issue for me. I'm wondering if it's somehow linked to the map tiles themselves, since I changed them completely.

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
Years
That wasn't the problem, I think I know what it is now. This explains why my Route 50 locator moved along the route's path. Some of my routes are "opposed." Meaning that I overwrote routes that were either horizontal or vertical with their opposition. So my vertical Route 73 was created over a route that was originally horizontal. That's why the locator moved left to right when I crossed half of the route from left to right. The game was still reading it as a horizontal route. So I changed the map type to indoor and then the locator stayed in its coordinated place at all times. So, in order for me to have the locator smoothy move along the routes, I need to overwrite original horizontal routes with horizontal routes. Is it possible to change a map from "horizontal" to "vertically" (vice-versa) without having to overwrote the correct map? What I mean is not by resizing, but the direction the game reads the route.

Last edited:

redriders180

Years
That wasn't the problem, I think I know what it is now. This explains why my Route 50 locator moved along the route's path. Some of my routes are "opposed." Meaning that I overwrote routes that were either horizontal or vertical with their opposition. So my vertical Route 73 was created over a route that was originally horizontal. That's why the locator moved left to right when I crossed half of the route from left to right. The game was still reading it as a horizontal route. So I changed the map type to indoor and then the locator stayed in its coordinated place at all times. So, in order for me to have the locator smoothy move along the routes, I need to overwrite original horizontal routes with horizontal routes. Is it possible to change a map from "horizontal" to "vertically" (vice-versa) without having to overwrote the correct map? What I mean is not by resizing, but the direction the game reads the route.

I just found something that may hopefully help you. If you go to 0x3F21AC in a hex editor, it appears that those four bytes correspond to the width and height of Route 1. The next four bytes are for Route 2, then the next is Route 3, and so on and so forth. Strangely, this goes in Route-numberical order, i.e. Route 1 -> Route 25, and not in index order (Index order is Route 4, Route 10, Route 1, Route 2...). Maybe editing those bytes will help your map work the right way?

Edit: I just realised the table itself starts at 0x3F2178. The first eleven sets of four bytes correspond to the width and height of each town, and is always 01 00 01 00, since each map is usually 1x1. The next two entries are four Route 4 and Route 10, and are ALSO 01 00 01 00. It took me a bit, but there are two Route 4s and two Route 10s in the index, because both of these spots are flyable. The next entries then go in index order.

Double Edit: I'm sorry if I'm not being very clear, its late and rational thought isn't coming to me. I also don't know the limits of your knowledge, or even if you know what "index order" is. If you open up any map in A-Map, and go to the header tab, at the top, there's a dropdown with the maps name on it. Click the dropdown, and scroll to the top of the list. That is the first entry in the index. In a normal Firered rom, it's "Pallet Town". The next entry is "Viridian City", followed by Pewter, Cerulean, Lavender, Vermillion, Celadon, Fuschia, Cinnabar, Indigo Plateau, Saffron, Flyable spot for Route 4, Flyable spot for Route 10, Route 1, Route 2, Route 3......Route 25, Viridian Forest.........Power Plant, One Island, Two Island....Celadon Dept. This is basically the order that all map-related data goes. Your index will probably have different names, since you're game is in a different region, so I recommend making a list of all the names in index order, and using that to consult with while you edit the above data.

Last edited:

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
Years
I just found something that may hopefully help you. If you go to 0x3F21AC in a hex editor, it appears that those four bytes correspond to the width and height of Route 1. The next four bytes are for Route 2, then the next is Route 3, and so on and so forth. Strangely, this goes in Route-numberical order, i.e. Route 1 -> Route 25, and not in index order (Index order is Route 4, Route 10, Route 1, Route 2...). Maybe editing those bytes will help your map work the right way?

Edit: I just realised the table itself starts at 0x3F2178. The first eleven sets of four bytes correspond to the width and height of each town, and is always 01 00 01 00, since each map is usually 1x1. The next two entries are four Route 4 and Route 10, and are ALSO 01 00 01 00. It took me a bit, but there are two Route 4s and two Route 10s in the index, because both of these spots are flyable. The next entries then go in index order.

Oh thanks! I wonder if any of those bytes correspond to which way the map is read, either vertically or horizontally. I'll check it out! Thanks!

redriders180

Years
Oh thanks! I wonder if any of those bytes correspond to which way the map is read, either vertically or horizontally. I'll check it out! Thanks!

I believe that they do. The first thirteen entries are 01 00 01 00, and the entry for Route 1 is 01 00 02 00...which corresponds to one tile wide, and two tiles tall, meaning it's vertical. So the first byte is the width of the route, and the third byte is the height of the route. Meaning if you changed Route 1's data from 01 00 02 00 to 02 00 01 00, the route would then be two tiles wide and one tile tall, or a horizontal route. Additionally, if you changed it to 02 00 02 00, the route would be a square.

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
Years
02 00 02 00 as in the locator head would be locked in just one tile on the map, correct? Like all cities are, not matter how big the city may be.

EDIT - Woow, awesome it worked! I changed my starting town (just to test it) and the town became a vertical map! Thanks man, I appreciate for your findings and discoveries!

EDIT 2 - So if I changed that 3rd byte to a 03 the town would become a one tile horizontal 3 tile vertical map?

EDIT 3 - Tried it on Route 49, success! Thanks again man!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2019
Sorry, is there a way or a tutorial that explain how to animate a door? I changed the tilesets of my rom and I added a new house, but I don't know how to animate its door... Thanks!

redriders180

Years
02 00 02 00 as in the locator head would be locked in just one tile on the map, correct? Like all cities are, not matter how big the city may be.

EDIT - Woow, awesome it worked! I changed my starting town (just to test it) and the town became a vertical map! Thanks man, I appreciate for your findings and discoveries!

EDIT 2 - So if I changed that 3rd byte to a 03 the town would become a one tile horizontal 3 tile vertical map?

EDIT 3 - Tried it on Route 49, success! Thanks again man!

There is actually one map in-game that uses an 02 00 02 00...That route with the Dotted Hole. I don't know if there's a limit to the numbers (besides the size of the map itself) or not, since I don't know if it does raw calculations or comparing with ASM. For example, I have a map in my game that's 02 00 04 00, which no map in the original game shares. So oddly-shaped routes should be your only "limitation"

How can I change the badge sprites? When I attemp to change it, the pallette messes up.

I tried to change the sprites using the other colors on the badges palette, but it just crashed the game whenever I loaded the Trainer Card. Or, perhaps you used the wrong palette. Are you able to show a picture of what's happening?

Sorry, is there a way or a tutorial that explain how to animate a door? I changed the tilesets of my rom and I added a new house, but I don't know how to animate its door... Thanks!

There is a program called "Door Manager" that can be downloaded somewhere on the first page of the Tutorial page (If I remember right, it's on a thread called _______s Toolbox, although I don't know who the _______ is). It works for both Ruby and Firered, although Ruby obviously has more frames to edit.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2016
I have two questions, which I hope will be pretty simple to answer.

First, how would I go about changing the coordinates at which the player respawns after whiting out? I know how to change the map and the map bank, but I want to change the coordinates and also what the game says. This is specifically for the first healing spot in the Player's house. I want him to respawn in his bed, and use different text than the mom text, I just don't know where these things are located.

Secondly, I edited Route 1 in my hack, but kept the same tilesets and dimensions, however whenever I step from Route 1 into Viridian City (which is currently not edited) the tiles at the end of Route 1 that I just stepped off off (about the last fifth of the map or so) all change to random tiles like water or the sides of a mountain or something, but then if I walk farther down the route and they go out of sight, when I come back they're back to normal. My question is just how to fix it so that this doesn't happen anymore.

Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2017
Hello, I have a question. I want to add some new event pictures to my hack, but I don't know how to. If this is to much to explain, could I have a link to a tutorial please? I couldn't find any on this topic...

Thanks
You may also want to look at this tutorial to figure out about the pictures shown when going into certain places.

How can I change the badge sprites? When I attemp to change it, the pallette messes up.

You will need to change the sprites in the same palette, or repoint the palette for the badges

First, how would I go about changing the coordinates at which the player respawns after whiting out? I know how to change the map and the map bank, but I want to change the coordinates and also what the game says. This is specifically for the first healing spot in the Player's house. I want him to respawn in his bed, and use different text than the mom text, I just don't know where these things are located.

For this, you must change the flying data and healing locations. I have not had too much success with this, but here is a tutorial on the subject. Good luck!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2019
Thank you redriders, I know that tool and I tried to use it, but it shows only the "default doors" of the game... How can edit a new door with it?? Thanks!

EDIT

I'm a dumbass, in the readme file of Door Manager there is a tutorial, sorry D:

Last edited:

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Hello, I'm have a problem with XSE compiling. Here is my script:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800440

#org @start
checkflag 0x519
if 0x1 goto @done
setweather 0xB
doweather
release
end

#org @done
setvar 0x5016 0x1
release
end

Every time I try to compile it, I get the Compiler Output box but it doesn't give me any offsets... Help please?\

EDIT: Nevermind, I had a duplicate of this script.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
How do you edit the pallet in the OW editor? It won't let me click the button...
Or can I just cut the image of a mini sprite out and import it into OW?

And another question. With the vs seeker in FR, how do they make it so that after a certain point, the trainers pokemon become stronger? And how do they do that for your rival? Do you have to make multiple copies of the trainers and then just give the later versions stronger pokemon? Or does it have to do with scripting. Can someone explain this to me please?

Last edited:

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
ok, there's something i've been wondering about for a while.
how does one go about displaying those pictures when a character talks (ex: You talk to a main character, and a picture of their face shows as they speak, like in Life of Guardians and other hacks I've seen)?

also, my other question from the last page: what are the advantages and disadvantages(if any) of expanding the rom size?

redriders180

Years
ok, there's something i've been wondering about for a while.
how does one go about displaying those pictures when a character talks (ex: You talk to a main character, and a picture of their face shows as they speak, like in Life of Guardians and other hacks I've seen)?

also, my other question from the last page: what are the advantages and disadvantages(if any) of expanding the rom size?

1. The way most people do it will only work on Ruby, and possibly Emerald. They use one of the 25 ????????? slots to hold small images, and then use showpokepic, and immediately following is the command "hidebox", leaving only a raw image. The reason it works only in Ruby (and Emerald?) is because hidebox doesn't work in FRLG.

2. Advantages: More space. Disadvantages: Lunar IPS no longer works, but A-Ptch, and a few other lesser-known patching utilities support it.

How do you edit the pallet in the OW editor? It won't let me click the button...
Or can I just cut the image of a mini sprite out and import it into OW?

And another question. With the vs seeker in FR, how do they make it so that after a certain point, the trainers pokemon become stronger? And how do they do that for your rival? Do you have to make multiple copies of the trainers and then just give the later versions stronger pokemon? Or does it have to do with scripting. Can someone explain this to me please?

1. Nameless Sprite Editor allows Palette editing. The only way to do it with Overworld Editor is to import a pre-indexed sprite, and import both the image and palette. It will, of course, make everything that has that palette take on that color, so be careful!

2. I have a scripting reference guide, made by I believe JPAN, but I could be wrong:
Spoiler:

and more info here:
Spoiler:

It's a very complex process, but it is extendable :)

I have two questions, which I hope will be pretty simple to answer.

Secondly, I edited Route 1 in my hack, but kept the same tilesets and dimensions, however whenever I step from Route 1 into Viridian City (which is currently not edited) the tiles at the end of Route 1 that I just stepped off off (about the last fifth of the map or so) all change to random tiles like water or the sides of a mountain or something, but then if I walk farther down the route and they go out of sight, when I come back they're back to normal. My question is just how to fix it so that this doesn't happen anymore.

For your second question, Only two tilesets can be displayed on the screen at a given time. Since Tileset 1 is always 0 for outdoor maps, we only consider differences in Tileset 2.

Say, for instance, you're leaving a map with Tileset 3 and entering a map with Tileset 9. Once you cross that barrier, Tileset 3 is erased, and Tileset 9 takes its place. That means all the Tileset 3 tiles get replaced with their Tileset 9 counterparts.

There are a few ways to get around this:
1. Make sure only nature tiles are in view when switching maps. To put it simply, make it so no Tileset 2 tiles are in view. when crossing over maps
2. Use gatehouses.
3. Make maps that share their Tileset 2.

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
Thanks, redriders!
Yeah, I know about all the pallets changing if you import another into it, which is why I would be pretty scared, haha.

The rematches are pretty complicated, but if this wasn't too much to ask, is there any chance you could show me a script from one of the rematchable trainers in FR and point out where the section you mentioned is located? So that way I can analyze it and teach myself how to use it effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back