• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Way Regained

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
Thanks a bunch, bro! I'm really glad to hear you like 'em! <3;

Heroic.png

Icarus.png

Hero.png

Not particularly proud of the crash bandicoot ones but w/e.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cid

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Mar 23, 2022
I adore your works Derozio, incredibly aesthetically pleasing and the way you incorporate the text is so funky and fun! Whenever I drop by PC every once in a blue moon, I always stop by to see your updates!

I do think that sometimes you get a bit of a fluctuation in quality-- but I'd personally attribute that to your choice in stock. Perhaps be more careful in the future of what you choose to build your tags around? ;v;; The problem strikes particularly to me in the "If I could go away with the music" tag-- the quality of the effects is too smooth in comparison to the quality of the stock.

My favorites of yours are probably the Gintoki tag (though admittedly his hair is a tad oversharpened for my tastes and the tag is a little overdone, which detracts from the focal and makes it hard to know what I'm looking at) and the Luffy tag in your signature right now!

Ultimately I think your works are fantastic, and my only suggestion to you is, again, be more careful with the smoothness of your stock vs. the smoothness of your effects. If they clash to much, it can make it look like your stock is LQ! ;7;; You could always play around with different styles to match more with the quality of your stocks, like you did in the Santoryu tag-- that worked out very nicely, and it was a refreshing change of pace from the rest of your gallery!

I hope what I said make sense- good luck, hope to see more soon!

derozio

Years
First off, let me say that it is an honor to have one of the old PC legends comment in my gallery. I'm really glad you did that. <3;

And I see. Most of the stuff you've said is completely true. The "if i could.." tag was a forced tag and I didn't really like it all that much. Once I slapped some random c4ds and messed with the colors a bit, I went "eh, leave it. I can't bother with this anymore". It was a request, though, so I HAD to make the tag somehow. :c As for the Gintoki tag, I found out the fact that the hair was over-sharpened after uploading it on PC as my signature. For some reason, Photoshop tends to show images in a different manner in PSDs as compared to the final output. When I was working on the PSD, it didn't seem like there was any problem with the blurring-sharpening so I just saved it. But then it turned out like it did. :[ Anyway, I could've gone ahead and changed it a bit later on but, being the lazy b-tard that I am, I didn't. lol

And yeah, I do plan on playing around with different styles a bit. :D Glad to hear you like the Santoryu tag, too! <3;

------

Update time!

ZoroAVI.png

Pretty much my fave icon. I don't think I've made better ones. <3;
Zoro1ab.png

ZSIG.png

^ I fiddled around with the colors a bit more in the second one. :p

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Mar 23, 2022
OH MY GOSH LOL I'm so embarrassed what is this legend business ///// -Really, if anyone between us is legend material it's you! ;7;;

Ahh yeah I once had a friend who had the same problem with oversharpening-- it'd look fine in PS and then as soon as he exported it it'd just look so pixellated... I wonder why that happens....? Also, I had a vague suspicion that the "If I could go away.." tag was a request LOL! Alas, not much that can be done in that case...

But I must agree, your Zoro icon is incredibly adorable-- I saw it when I checked back on this thread and I love it so much! What I think you could do to improve on it next time though is perhaps not use a straight black on "Melon" like you did this time? It really draws the viewers attention in a way that perhaps is a bit detrimental, especially since there's no other area in the icon where such a pure value of black is found. Makes the text too much of a focus IMO! Maybe use that lighter brownish shade of black on his pants next time, so it doesn't draw attention away from zoro and the watermelon so much?

But otherwise love this update, I personally really like the way you work with colors! ;7;;;

derozio

Years
Pssh, now that's just wrong. I'm waaay too big of an amateur to be considered any good. :p Why are all the awesome peeps so modest all the time? ;A;

It happens every. darn. time. To compare, I screen-capped two pics. One which I had already saved and other which I was working on. There was quite a lot of difference between their sharpness. Dunno how to deal with that. :[

As for the icon, I've already changed it. Hope it looks better now. :D And thanks again! I get a lot of those "you're good with colors" comments and feel elated everytime. <3;

----
Update!
ZoroAVIa.png
Zed.png

SFAGaslol.png

Change of pace ^ :DDD

Last edited:

moments.

quixotic
Years
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab183/ASC303/SFAGaslol.png

Quality! D':
The quality brings this tag so much it really doesn't do you justice. The original stock doesn't look too high quality which is never good, but you seem to have used either too many textures, or mainly low quality effects which hurts. The typography is probably some of your better work that I've seen, but I'd move it slightly to the left, just away from the stock. Not too much else to say about this piece really.

Your other tags are really nice though, great colours (as always)!

(sorry this was not monolithically long like all my previous critiques, tired/rusty. <3)

derozio

Years
Much appreciated, Moo! And actually, the stock came with some sort of texture over it. It wasn't low quality but was just a little low on the resolution side. The texture probably messes up the quality in your eyes, though I guess. :p And the irony is that it was a stock from your stock pack! lol Moving the text..hmm, thought about that but I thought if I do that, the text might get too far away from the guy. And I didn't want that, I guess. But yeah, just leaving this piece as is. I can't really do much to improve it apart from some blurring, sharpening and some cleaning. Can't be bothered to do all that. :p

And lol, it is alright even if you just post here. Length doesn't matter. Quality does. And you've ensured it is top-notch by pointing out precisely where the errors in my work were. ;] Not to mention, comments are always welcome! :p

derozio

Years
Bumping. Because this thread needs attention. :p

MihawkSmudge.png

MihawkSmudge1.png

^ experiments with smudging.

Luffy-1.png

Luffy1.png

Cid

Years
I really love how gorgeous your graphics look. Seriously, pretty much all your Dante pieces are superb! Plus, even though you're not as free as you should be, and you seem to use a particular consistent style for most of the stuff you produce in your shop, they still look really good (thank you once again for mine). <3

I think my personal favorite element for each of your graphics would have to be the text. They are all sleek, consistently good, and well-placed; and you almost always hit the right fonts whenever you get to that step.

One huge exception for that would be this one though! That is one heck of a tag, probably the best looking out of all of them. Next to the Dante ones and this one I'm wearing right now, of course. It shows that even without text, you still pull through. But yeah they all look really good, and whatever complicated techniques you might have applied to them certainly attest to your skill level as an artist.

For your last two (or four) tags, I really like the second version of each, personally. The first of the four kind of distracts my eyes with the greenish smudge, which I think was remedied when you decided to remove it, because by then my focus snapped back to Mihawk himself. I really like how it turned out both ways though, albeit I feel it's a bit empty compared to your other tags. As for the one you're wearing right now, I like it a lot, too. I really don't know what to think about the top version because Luffy kind of fades in the background, while the stock image sort of suggests that he do otherwise. I think the brighter colors of the bottom version look a little better, although that is just my opinion.

Nevertheless, everything is amazing Derozio! You continue to be my inspiration, so keep up the awesome work.

Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2014
Wow, very nice, just one thing you could keep in mind more is lighting.... But other than that they are excellent!

Actually i would love to see a tutorial on some of your techniques!​

derozio

Years
Thanks for the comments, guys! Really appreciate it! <3; And Cid, you flatter me too much. XD;

PYAvi.png
Lu1f.png
N.png

av.png

CPT.png

PY.png

Nam1i.png

Updates!

Years
  • Seen Mar 16, 2013
Woah! I can honestly say I love every single piece in this thread, each one for its own reason! The one piece one's stand a cut above the rest in my opinion;) One of my favorite things about your art is the colorful swirls in a lot of them, next time I need something artsy I will definitely come to you!

Last edited:

derozio

Years
Thanks a bunch, man. <3;

Update!

First post updated with latest and some old works! :]

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Your work is fantastic!

I love this minimalist thing you've been doing with your updates. The negative space with such high contrast in color really makes the subject stand out. And it's still super easy on the eyes too.

Very well done! :]

derozio

Years
Thank you so much, Alex! Getting a compliment from an artist like you is such an honor. <3; And yeah, I've been really into this style for a while. :]

Update:
TBa.png
TBa1.png
DD.png

TB1a.png

Third one's not really a serious icon attempt. Just something I did in, like, 2 minutes or so! :p

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
lilith

Main issue with this is the fact that there's far too much contrast between the background and focal. If you look at it there's a complete lack of compliment between them, which distracts any sense of blending being drawn in as well as the fact that flow is pretty much broken by this fact. Also, be more wary of how much you go and darken your shadows, the burn tool can be a hindrance when you're working with colours already close to black. What you've done is made purple hues darker. Purple is a colour used to flush out differences on a drawing, model, pixel piece, as well as some other mediums. In this case those hues would have made the red hair blend with the skin better, as well as differentiate other colours from one another with more ease. Those colours have been made too dark on the focal which makes the focal seem disjointed and overly dark among the seams.

I actually feel that this tag would have been better without the text. I would rather have seen a version without it so that you can compare. You don't need to use text really, most of the time it's there to fill space or aid a concept when you don't know how to or have the skill to add it yourself. So practice a bit more with making tags that don't use it. Of course, it can simply be an aid, but you need to find that middle ground. If you do use text however, make sure that if you're trying to make it readable, then actually make sure it's clear. In this case the first word "Lilith" looks too much like the word "Wth" or something along those lines due to the fact the first 4 letters clump together and make the letter "W" instead. Or two "U"'s for that matter.

Other than that, you need to actually fill up some of that negative space in the background. Negative space can be a great thing, but it can also just be overkill. Perhaps just more effects behind the effects you have in the foreground, as really there's a bit of a lack of effects going on, especially if you were to take out the text. If you were to go back on it, the main issue you need to work on is the colour scheme working together, and trying something new with the text you have.

derozio

Years
lol yeah, I messed up on the text here, I guess. But the colors..I didn't think they looked that bad. I actually thought the contrast did the tag good. But I guess I never thought about it contrasting so much that it'll actually mess up the flow or any blending in it. I'll work on that! And will make both a text + textless version next. I pretty much HAD to put the text in there somehow since it was TwilightBlade's request, tbqh. But yeah, I need to practice typography in general as well. So, from now on, I'll try to post two versions of tags I make - one with and one without text.

Much appreciated, Gav! :]

derozio

Years
Two updates:

MonetAVI1.png

D21a.png

Happy with both of them, I guess. Since I managed something half-decent even in the gfx block I have right now lawl. ;;

Back