• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Phenomena

Years
So in BW, there was a new mechanic introduced known as phenomena - rustling grass, dust cloud, flying pokemon's shadow, and rippling water. So what were your thoughts on the phenomena? Did you enjoy this little feature and how you could find rare pokemon with it? Or did you think it was gimmicky, and would have preferred those pokemon exclusive to the phenomena to just have been scattered throughout the region? Did it annoy you/did you enjoy that because of the phenomena, some pokemon were almost literally everywhere you went? Do you think there should have been more different kinds of phenomena, or that each kind should have been exclusive to one pokemon? Go go go!

*Please don't answer my questions in a list format by the way!

Sirfetch’d

Ohhhh Phenomena! One thing I really enjoyed being able to find countless Audino for easy level grinding(poor things I bet I killed 2,000 of them). Rustling grass was easily my favorite simply because of the near endless Audino with an annoying Emolga every now and then and I was so excited and surprised when I found a Metagross in rustling grass I couldn't believe it! Also the rippling water was extremely fascinating because it contained so many rare pokemon as well such as Dragonite, Gorebyss, Huntail, and Milotic even though they were a little harder to find. The dust clouds were very helpful when looking for evolutionary stones, but my only complaint would be that they are extremely hard to find because of countless gems, but still I loved the concept. The only Pokemon obtainable through dust clouds were Drilbur and Excadrill which are very good Pokemon, but maybe they could have made a few more Pokemon able to be encountered through dust clouds. My least favorite of the four would have to be the flying Pokemon's shadow. I did not find the wings too helpful as EV training through Vitamins and battling was much easier and the only Pokemon obtainable were Ducklett and Swanna which the only in- game use they had were being HM slaves. Overall I found this to be one of the best new features of Black and White and really hope that it makes a return in later generations because I think that it really helps especially with level grinding.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Oooh! Phenomena was an interesting feature I must say :3. I loved it however and Audinos were great for EXP, along with tough opponents. I aslo love the concept of them being higher levelled if it's dark grass :>. And I liked the pokemon they put in for these phenomena! I was excepting some more common Pokemon just a little bit tougher, but I'm really liking what I see. And yes as Jelli said, I was astonished when I saw a Dragonite in rippling water, honestly at that point I thought my game was glitching up or something. XD;. And my least favourite of the four also would probably be the flying shadows, Ducklett is an alright Pokemon but I wish they introduced some more flying types into it.

Years
I actually loved this feature, especially the fact that Audinos pop up a lot in the shaking grass, and you can slay loads of those pink bunnies for massive EXP. It can really help you out if you find yourself underleveled a lot, and near the end of the game it's helpful for getting your team near the Elite Four's levels. The dark grass with higher leveled Pokemon and wild double battles was also kinda neat, given I actually liked the color of this grass. Also, I loved how most areas had Emolga as well. I even remember running into a Metagross and Tyranitar once, which was a big shock.

The dust clouds only gave Drilbur and Excadrill, but they are handy Ground-types to have on a team thanks to their high Attack and good learnset which even includes Rock Slide (neat!) and Earthquake. Rippling water was also fun given how many powerful Water-types you could find when fishing in it, and also the fact it's the only way to be able to catch the opposite stripe form of Basculin. The flying shadows were terrible since they only gave Ducklett, Swanna and the wings, and then again Swanna isn't all that great.

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2013
I didn't pay much attention to rustling grass. I only ever accidentally ran into these, and I've fought maybe 4 audino total xD but I did happen to catch a tyranitar which saved me time lol. Then as for the rippling water I was searching for feebas when instead on the first rippling water tile I fished on in route 1 I found a milotic! My first try lol. Never ever owned a feebas after all these years xD but I had good luck getting stones from dust clouds. Which glad of since u can't transfer stones by poke transfer >:(

Years
I really liked the idea of having the phenomena, as not only could you find Pokemon, but you could find different items as well. Finding Audino in rustling grass was always helpful, as there always seemed to be one Pokemon on my team that was slightly weaker than the others, and needed some extra experience.

My favorite happened to be the shadows that you'd find on the bridges. Not only did it help earn me more money after I sold off all of the wings that I picked up, I also found a shiny Ducklett when I stepped into one of the shadows (it's currently a Swanna on my White 2).

Years
I really liked the Phenomena in BW. It was always fun to see what would pop up out of the rustling grass, and you knew it was going to be something special too. That is, when it wasn't audino. Which honestly... I liked how audino were in the rustling grass so it seemed like they were rare, but then they really weren't, and I would have preferred if they had been rare. I enjoyed how you could get some awesome items from the dust clouds, and getting the wings was pretty cool. But overall I'd have to say my favorite was the rustling grass, just because of how diverse the pokemon that inhabited it were!

@Nica, I'm glad you like the thread title! :3

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
Phenomena was actually exciting, killing Audinos is fun! andd dust clouds/pokemon shadows.... pretty exciting, getting some items here and there!

but rippling water was just annoying.... basculin was too common ;;

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
You know I hate this word D<

Nevertheless, I liked it a lot! Rustling grass was awesome and I loved seeing what was in there but I'd rather if Audino wasn't so damn common. :( Basically what I wanted was a greater range of Pokemon to find in these rare places, pretty muuch!

Back