• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Doesn't have to be linear, but the GM needs to be able to plan ahead and perhaps change the plot and acts a bit depending on what the RPers turn the RP into.

Stingray

Space elves FTW
Years
Also it could have been that back then players and GMs had shorter attention spans so RPs never lasted very long... and so people learned to make a lot of short ones maybe :p

Anyone thought about a Sci Fi/fantasy RP... as in giant space faring ships blowing each other up, but also with all the different races some actually had magical abilities and more fantasy styling as well? Thought about making one now but I can't think up a good story right now for the players. Would there be any interest in this?

Years
@Stingray - If it was well executed that would probably attract some decent attention, but I don't know how space battles between large ships would work. You'd need to think a bit on details like that... also, those magical aliens of yours remind me of the Protoss from SC for some reason haha

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Also it could have been that back then players and GMs had shorter attention spans so RPs never lasted very long... and so people learned to make a lot of short ones maybe :p

Anyone thought about a Sci Fi/fantasy RP... as in giant space faring ships blowing each other up, but also with all the different races some actually had magical abilities and more fantasy styling as well? Thought about making one now but I can't think up a good story right now for the players. Would there be any interest in this?

Magic scifi. I'm interested.

Stingray

Space elves FTW
Years
No DeepImpact more like ACTUAL magic (well actually both really)

The idea came from hearing a podcast from a game critic talking about Eve Online and how it made space boring. So if humans can travel to the stars why couldn't they encounter not only powerful aliens with wondrous technology but primitives that use magic. Basically the idea that is almost make a race if you want to (as well as giving the option to be one of the more influential races out there).

As far as space battles likely the player characters would be limited to one ship that is their home... battles can include your standard shooting match as well as boarding or being boarded. Also walking around on various planets or space stations would happen as well.

I already have some faction ideas for the major players thing is how to write a story that evolves around them and how they can influence such a large space as a small group. Options are: Mercenaries (get to explore all over the place), Rebel upstarts (fighting the major powers for X cause), pirates/renegades (much like Mercenaries but really just doing their own thing), or a part of one of the Major players (IE some elite team much like the Spectres from Mass Effect)...

Pirate/renegades/explorers/colonists might be interesting actually... focus on the less tame parts of the galaxy (lots of new planets to explore, trying to scratch up a living) while having powerful enemies (pirates, raiders, and so on!).... hmmmm actually this is really starting to develop into an idea.

Khawill

<3
Years
I have plenty of space RP ideas, the only problem was interaction. This isn't a problem with region, school, or town RPs (where people kind of teleport anyways) but space is huge (wormholes could be a possibility I guess.)

I would join though, as captain of the Halil Nomads

Fenne-kun

//TheEternalSushi
Years
Space RPs will need a lot of clear limitations, rules and systems. They need to know what the limits are or they can always 'warp', 'generate fleets/magic' etc etc and apparently be able to 'travel at the speed of light'.,..it's possible but there's a lot of rules needed.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
I know this is going off topic but someone said the words Mass and Effect in a sentence which leads me to ask: MASS EFFECT RP? Someone wanna make? Because I'd totally join a Mass Effect RP. Even if you're a crappy RPer

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023
Hells yeah a Mass Effect RP would be awesome and I'd totally join.

@Fenne-Kun: The generate fleets is not possible when you're already restricted to one ship. d: The magic part is always a risk that comes with any RP with magic. Also 'warping' and 'travelling at the speed of light' can be handled easily. This article might help-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperspace_(science_fiction)

Stingray

Space elves FTW
Years
Mass Effect RP sounds like a really good start actually:

How about basing it AFTER the destruction of the Reavers (IE Shepard chose the red path) and the Council is now based on earth as their main fleets were stranded there after the relays went *poof.* While this has caused some friction it has called for an unusual change in government and way of life as Earth and local planets has now become homes to the stranded races. The Alliance completely absorbs into the Council, and overall the survivors completely unify as they rebuild the Mass Relays...

A couple hundred of years past before they are able to rebuild the Mass Relays, and when the Unified Council return to their local systems they find the galaxy quite different than it was when they left. Many of the different races have developed their own paths, and have forgotten the ways of the Citadel. Several factions have developed and while some welcome back the Council with open arms, others are not as willing to give up their new freedoms including the powerful Artemis Federation, the human power that had discovered an alternative to Mass Relays to move between systems (though a bit slower). Feeling threatened by the return of the Council to their way of life the Federation has begun to gather allies, while their enemies flock to the re emerged Council's side.

The Council believes their way of complete unity and absorption of all the races under one banner is the way of peace and hope for the future. While the Federation unites several races under the call for freedom and that all races are allowed to choose their own paths as they see fit...

So what does everyone think about this for a start of a story? I kind of want something that doesn't step on the main story of Mass Effect since Shepard in the hero there and so players would just be some side show to his/her greatness. Also its really limiting...

If this sounds good I can start working on it...

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
No DeepImpact more like ACTUAL magic (well actually both really)

The idea came from hearing a podcast from a game critic talking about Eve Online and how it made space boring. So if humans can travel to the stars why couldn't they encounter not only powerful aliens with wondrous technology but primitives that use magic. Basically the idea that is almost make a race if you want to (as well as giving the option to be one of the more influential races out there).

As far as space battles likely the player characters would be limited to one ship that is their home... battles can include your standard shooting match as well as boarding or being boarded. Also walking around on various planets or space stations would happen as well.

I already have some faction ideas for the major players thing is how to write a story that evolves around them and how they can influence such a large space as a small group. Options are: Mercenaries (get to explore all over the place), Rebel upstarts (fighting the major powers for X cause), pirates/renegades (much like Mercenaries but really just doing their own thing), or a part of one of the Major players (IE some elite team much like the Spectres from Mass Effect)...

Pirate/renegades/explorers/colonists might be interesting actually... focus on the less tame parts of the galaxy (lots of new planets to explore, trying to scratch up a living) while having powerful enemies (pirates, raiders, and so on!).... hmmmm actually this is really starting to develop into an idea.
You (or someone else) neeeeeeeeeeeeeeds to do this. This would be the best thing ever.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Btw I totally think the Roleplay Corner should get a cool banner at the top of the forum index like many of the other sections have :3 All that is needed is a little bit of neat css and a mascot pokémon. Knowing Skymin, guessing what pokémon we'll get is not that difficult...

PELIPPER, COME ON, MAKE IT A PELIPPER :D

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
Mass Effect RP sounds like a really good start actually:

How about basing it AFTER the destruction of the Reavers (IE Shepard chose the red path) and the Council is now based on earth as their main fleets were stranded there after the relays went *poof.* While this has caused some friction it has called for an unusual change in government and way of life as Earth and local planets has now become homes to the stranded races. The Alliance completely absorbs into the Council, and overall the survivors completely unify as they rebuild the Mass Relays...

A couple hundred of years past before they are able to rebuild the Mass Relays, and when the Unified Council return to their local systems they find the galaxy quite different than it was when they left. Many of the different races have developed their own paths, and have forgotten the ways of the Citadel. Several factions have developed and while some welcome back the Council with open arms, others are not as willing to give up their new freedoms including the powerful Artemis Federation, the human power that had discovered an alternative to Mass Relays to move between systems (though a bit slower). Feeling threatened by the return of the Council to their way of life the Federation has begun to gather allies, while their enemies flock to the re emerged Council's side.

The Council believes their way of complete unity and absorption of all the races under one banner is the way of peace and hope for the future. While the Federation unites several races under the call for freedom and that all races are allowed to choose their own paths as they see fit...

So what does everyone think about this for a start of a story? I kind of want something that doesn't step on the main story of Mass Effect since Shepard in the hero there and so players would just be some side show to his/her greatness. Also its really limiting...

If this sounds good I can start working on it...

This. Immediately. Yes.

I agree, no Shepard, but we should make the RPers work on a team similarly to the series. Maybe they can be Spectres? Or just really talented individuals. Either way, makes this!!!

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023
I'll post my opinion on the Mass Effect RP as soon as I finish 2 and 3. xD

But why make all of them Spectres? Rather just have a squad building thing similar to Mass Effect 2 and make all of the characters come from different backgrounds. d:

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I don't understand anything of what you are talking about ;; could you perhaps try and make the RP such so that even people who have not played Mass Effect could participate without growing migraines? :3

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
Btw I totally think the Roleplay Corner should get a cool banner at the top of the forum index like many of the other sections have :3 All that is needed is a little bit of neat css and a mascot pokémon. Knowing Skymin, guessing what pokémon we'll get is not that difficult...

PELIPPER, COME ON, MAKE IT A PELIPPER :D

N-n-n-n-n-n-n-no. It will be a Jigglypuff. Or a Krabby. Yes, a Jigglypuff riding a Krabby. Or a krabby riding a Jigglypuff?

In all seriousness, we should have a vote for this. I kinda like the Pelipper idea, since Red is one of the most known (and liked) RPers on the site, it can kinda be like a tribute ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back