• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction of the Week (info and listing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Meh? I was depressed all week long so I wasn't here, that's why. I was so depressed, I couldn't even manage to update my own fanfic...

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
Years
It's okay, take your time. Depression can lead to random things, and if you weren't here because of depression, I'm sure people understand. It's not a basic necessity or anything to update your fic, right? You always have plenty of time before you have to. ^_^

Hope you feel better oni!

Yamato-san

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 15, 2012
oni flygon said:
Not being in script form, length (minimum 5 pages in Microsoft Word), vivid and excelent description, creativity, etc.

What's wrong with script format? If it's extremely well-done script, can you make an exception?

Years
Yamato-san said:
What's wrong with script format? If it's extremely well-done script, can you make an exception?

I can describe unproperly written script in just one word: BORING

If it's well done. *coughShakespherecough* then I could accept it. But it's most unlikely for someone.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
Years
I thought script fics were usually allowed for parodies and humors too, weren't they?

Years
Satoshi-kun said:
It's the exclusion no one really agreed on, oni.

oh that? Meh. I didn't really like scripts that much. It's quite a bit of a pain to read them since half of the time, I forget who was talking...XD Reading Shakespheare's Julius Ceaser is even worse... X-X

LilyPichu said:
I thought script fics were usually allowed for parodies and humors too, weren't they?

Hmm...good idea. Maybe I should think about it..

Yamato-san

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 15, 2012
oni flygon said:
oh that? Meh. I didn't really like scripts that much. It's quite a bit of a pain to read them since half of the time, I forget who was talking...XD Reading Shakespheare's Julius Ceaser is even worse... X-X

How the hell can you forget who's talking when each person's name is put right in front of each line? Anyway, my fic (Pocket Monsters Chronicles) is meant to be rather serious, so it's obviously not a parody or humor story. My reason for doing script wasn't just to make things easier, but also because my story was conceived as a doujinshi manga that was abandoned, and script would just be a simpler way to convert that into writing format. I highly recommend people at least look at what kind of scripting I've done. Thus far, Mr. Catdog's left behind a very good complement about it.

T.W North

Swordsman
Years
When you say 5 pages long min, does that mean per chapter?
And script format is when its being written for a play, a fan-fiction is something like a novel(unless its a one shot). Plus, no matter how well written a script is, it cant really grab people attention until its acted out.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
T.W North said:
When you say 5 pages long min, does that mean per chapter?
And script format is when its being written for a play, a fan-fiction is something like a novel(unless its a one shot). Plus, no matter how well written a script is, it cant really grab people attention until its acted out.
Yes - 5 pages of Microsoft Word in the default settings of font is a good enough length normally for a FF of the Week. And, I would have to agree with you on that. Reading J.B. Priestly's "An Inspector Calls" in English has made me realise that acting is much better than reading in terms of script. Since this is Pokemon FanFiction, and not Pokemon Movie Multiplex, script fics aren't exactly great for showing off full writing ability to the maximum as something like a novel can.

Although I don't mind reading script fics - my review of Pocket Monsters Chronicles proves that - I would prefer to either see the script being acted out, or reading a compelling novel.

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
Years
I agree with Mr. Cat Dog. A script can be tragedy, or humour, parody, whatever, (even shipping but what the heck IS shipping anyway), but it'll have a tough job beating a story. It can't include much description or stuff unless it has a narrator (boring!!!!!), stuff that can shoot these stories to the top.

Stories rock. Scripts can only show real shine when put to images, if you don't mind me saying, because scripts just don't paint the picture. Sorry...

Yamato-san

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 15, 2012
OK, so all in all, scripts seem to be overshadowed by story formats, no matter how good or bad either one is, just because. However, such a thing won't stop fics from becoming Fanfic of the Week, right? See, I'm very confident in the quality of my storyline, but I'd hate to see that it's shunned just because most people have a bias against my type of formatting.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
Yamato-san said:
OK, so all in all, scripts seem to be overshadowed by story formats, no matter how good or bad either one is, just because. However, such a thing won't stop fics from becoming Fanfic of the Week, right? See, I'm very confident in the quality of my storyline, but I'd hate to see that it's shunned just because most people have a bias against my type of formatting.
Your forgetting a little fic called download...now that was in script format and it did really well.

D3L3T3D

ELITE Ryan
Years
Funny, my fic got one good reply, and that was the ONLY reply. Yet, i'm keeping at it. If I could write Mindworld Tactics over on final Fantasy forums, I can write my fic!!! Haha!

Ahem. Don't kill me. :p

And some scripts are good, but i've seen few. I only use scripts to plot out cinematic type scenes for games.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Scripts are good of course. Real life examples such as "The Crucible" is an excellent script format play that's meant to be acted out, but still equally enjoyable when it's just read like a book.

HOWEVER, not that script fanfic is unaccetpable, but let's say it's 95% a failure...? My reasons...

a) scriptfic relies 100% on plot and tone to demonstrate character description, and I can hardly find tone in a non-script fanfic in PC... do you really think that someone in PC is going to be good enough to do an entire fanfic that bases all forms of character description on tone? Most likely, we'll result in some piece of crap known as "no description available."

b) script fanfic also relies on heavy usage of symbolism and other implicit means to get an idea across, since the narrator is dead and everything relies on what the character(s) see(s) and know(s). Symbolism again, is hard enough to think of in a normal fanfic, and we're trying to write something that is to be filled with them?

c) if your last name is Shakespeare then sure... as Oni pointed out already. By the way, how many Shakespeare are there in history again?

d) For those who has read Hamlet... recall the sword fight scene near the end of the book between Hamlet and his uncle, or how Macbeth slays the king. How did Shakespeare describe those "action scenes?" Now imagine how he did that, and try to describe a Pokemon battle that way... best of luck.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2015
I find it just easier to write in third person, instead of Script Format. In Script Format, it is often the case that the only person that knows what is going on is the author. With Script Format, you have to describe things in way more detail than in any other format, so the audience knows what is going on.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
Years
Dark Pikachu, if a 12 yr old can do it, so can you. Don't put yourself down like that, all you can hope for is to try and always give your best shot. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take, and that's a pity, isn't it? Dragonfree put her effort into the awesome fic we know today, and yours could be too. Just try and good luck. ^_~

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
Years
awww thanks

But like, there is a thing with writing. You either have that extra something, or you don't. So nah, I'm contented with the fact it's critically-acclaimed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back