• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Plane crash lands in San Francisco, 2 dead, hundreds injured

Years
The plane was arriving from Seoul, South Korea, and apparently landed just short of the runway and struck a seawall:

A fiery crash of an Asiana Airlines jet in San Francisco today has killed two people and injured 181 people.

Asiana Airlines Flight 214 was carrying more than 300 people when it crashed at San Francicso International Airport, tore off its tail and burst into flames.

Two people were reported dead, said San Francisco Fire Chief Joanne Hayes-White.

She described it as a "fluid situation" and that "not everyone has yet to be accounted for." She initially said that "upwards of 60 people were unaccounted for," but San Francisco Mayor Edwin Lee later said all the passengers had been unaccounted for.

The injured were being care for at several hospitals and at least 22 were in critical condition.

The flight originated in Shanghai, China, and had a stopover in Seoul, South Korea. It was carrying 291 passengers, including an infant, plus at least 16 crew members, according to the airline. An Asiana Airlines official in Seoul told ABC News that 141 Chinese, 77 South Koreans and 61 U.S. citizens were on board.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/asiana-air...ynew?id=19595641&singlePage=true#.UdjfVjtwr24

Thoughts and prayers to the injured, and R.I.P. to the two who perished.

NightOfRemorse

my anxieties have anxieties
Years
I was actually in a different plane trying to get somewhere when this happened, we were about to take off and I just look out the window and see all the smoke and thought what the hell is happening?? It was pretty terrible to watch, there seemed to be dozens and dozens of ambulances, paramedics, firefighters, etc. and it took them a long time to put out the fire. I'm really hoping that those injured make it out okay and hopefully those who were missing are/were found. RIP to the two deceased as well.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I was actually in a different plane trying to get somewhere when this happened, we were about to take off and I just look out the window and see all the smoke and thought what the hell is happening?? It was pretty terrible to watch, there seemed to be dozens and dozens of ambulances, paramedics, firefighters, etc. and it took them a long time to put out the fire. I'm really hoping that those injured make it out okay and hopefully those who were missing are/were found. RIP to the two deceased as well.

My God, that must have been horrifying...

Anyway, this is terrible. We read about it on the way home from lunch today, and I just can't imagine how it must have been for those on the flight. I hope the injured get healed and RIP to the ones that passed. I heard those airlines, or that plane in general, can't remember, was brand new. I'm sure that checking planes before taking flight will be a bigger deal now because of this.

Years
I'm glad that my trip was a week earlier or I'd have been caught up in this. Not this flight, but I would have been on a plane that would have been diverted to another airport. It's kind of scary. Some people I met from New Zealand were supposed to fly out from SFO and I hope they haven't had their trip schedule messed up too badly. I've also got another friend who is going to fly out in the future and she's already scared of flying so this is going to make things worse for her.

Seems the plane hit the water in front of the runway. That part of landing always scares me. Other airports have fields or whatever so that a plane that comes in too soon can still ground to a halt, but not this one.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
It's technically not in San Francisco, but I'm glad that it wasn't a terrorist attack. Still, we should all pray for all of those who are affected by this.

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2016
I think I saw a plane burning up in the sky. Something was moving slowly far out in the sky and went farther and farther away as the orange light was intensifying. I saw this on the 4th of July at 9~10 PM PST while watching my next door neighbors blast off fireworks and eating delicious hot dogs and desserts that my they gave me. I wasn't the first person to notice it. My neighbors noticed it first and remarked that it might be a plane that's burning down. I told my family about it, but they immediately discard the chance that the plane I saw was the San Francisco airplane. I'm sure that it could've been a plane because it had been no meteorite. I don't think meteorites don't usually go that slow, even though I've never seen one before with my own eyes.

Years
It seems the pilot had been pretty inexperienced with flying a 777 and was being assisted by a more experienced pilot. Probably safe to assume this crash comes down to human error. Which is good for anyone else flying on one of those planes since they have a good safety record otherwise. The other crazy news is that one of the two Chinese teenagers who died might have been run over by emergency vehicles in the initial chaos of the crash. I really hope that turns out not be what happens.

I think I saw a plane burning up in the sky. Something was moving slowly far out in the sky and went farther and farther away as the orange light was intensifying. I saw this on the 4th of July at 9~10 PM PST while watching my next door neighbors blast off fireworks and eating delicious hot dogs and desserts that my they gave me. I wasn't the first person to notice it. My neighbors noticed it first and remarked that it might be a plane that's burning down. I told my family about it, but they immediately discard the chance that the plane I saw was the San Francisco airplane. I'm sure that it could've been a plane because it had been no meteorite. I don't think meteorites don't usually go that slow, even though I've never seen one before with my own eyes.

I don't think you saw this plane. It didn't catch fire until it hit the ground.

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2016
It seems the pilot had been pretty inexperienced with flying a 777 and was being assisted by a more experienced pilot. Probably safe to assume this crash comes down to human error. Which is good for anyone else flying on one of those planes since they have a good safety record otherwise. The other crazy news is that one of the two Chinese teenagers who died might have been run over by emergency vehicles in the initial chaos of the crash. I really hope that turns out not be what happens.

I don't think you saw this plane. It didn't catch fire until it hit the ground.

...What was it then?! I really want to have this answered...

Back