• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things in Pokémon that make you go "What the hell?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
Years
When pikachu beats legendaries but loses to a snivy fresh out the lab or how did jiggly puff always knew where ash was also team magma not containing fire types and team aqua not having water types

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
There was that one doctor in BW2 that said "I'll battle even if I can't find a pulse!" I don't understand how that could have EVER gotten into a kid's game, it's just such a strange line and couldn't really mean anything else other than "I'll battle even if the Pokemon's dead." I have no idea what they were thinking when this was put in there.

Also lots of Ghost Pokemon's Pokedex entries... Pokemon is really morbid, is it?

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
Years
I can't believe that ice is not super effective on water,like it obvious,ice freezes water cold!

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
Years
The fact that gym leaders at the beginning are such a low level... what if you start at the other end of the world? You'd be competing with 8th gym and then getting easier. I know this makes complete sense - it's a game. But still it's something I always think about.

That you can't catch Pokemon when they faint. Where have they went to???????

My guess would be that Gym Leaders use Levels based on the Challenger's experience. A trainer with no badges would fight the weak(er) team, a trainer with seven/eight badges would fight a leader at full strength. In the Jotho series, you fight the Kanto leaders at a much higher level than you did in the Kanto series. So I deem it plausible.

WTH moments, huh?
Mostly type dis/advantages that I don't expect. Or how Hugh's Serperior can OHKO a Cryogonal with Leaf Blade. I'm vaguely thinking that if it were my Serperior, that wouldn't be the case. >_>

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Dunpsarce makes very little evolutionary sense.

In Japanese they're not called double! Doubleslap is "Round-trip slap" in Japanese, so blame the translators. All the other ones I think are actually things that hit twice, so there's that.
Strange case with Double Kick: the animation per hit used to be one kick, resulting in two hits. Now it's some preposterous quad kick.

Last edited:

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
The things trainers say when you talk to them.

Like the kid in one of sports arenas that says, "These aren't pants! They are half shorts!"

I am just like wtf O_o

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
I don't get how in the anime, Pokemon attack humans and their techniques are extremely dangerous i.e. Gust, Thunder.

Yet, Gust is mediocre in the games, and you don't ever hear about trainers dying from battling Pokemon because of some freak incident with a Charizard's Flamethrower. People die in r/l from wild animal encounters. It doesn't make sense that some big Dragon Pokemon isn't going around munching on humans.

Also, Pokemon is basically Dog Fighting in kiddy form. You're sicking animals against each other to win money and fame.

Seriously?

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
My incredibly crap luck on Confusion, usually hitting myself more than the other Pokémon and flinching. My Pokémon flinch at the worst times.

Minato Arisato

Memento mori...
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 4, 2016
Running around the Distortion World in Platinum and wondering why the hell didn't Cynthia battle Cyrus for me. She's right there with level 58-62 Pokemon!

TaylorJ52

Safe Driver
Years
My top "What the Hell??" Moment?
Cinnabar Island.
Missingo.
'Nough said.

The fact that even the mammals lay eggs, I mean I understand why they have it that way for a kids program, but c'mon talk about teaching kids incorrect ideas.

Echidnas and platypuses both lay Pre-birds. Clearly all Pokémon are related to the two.

Last edited:

dragonfly_dust

Look at my avatar! Nuff said.
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
Game wise, when I found out Black & White would scrapped the idea of Pokemon following behind you from HeartGold and SoulSilver. WTH?!?! That was awesome!

Anime wise, why is Pikachu is getting beaten in a Pokemon battle at all at this point?! It HAS to be at level 100 by now. Just because Ash is staying 10 years old forever doesn't mean Pikachu has never levels up!

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
I've never watched the anime, so I can't really think of "what the hell" periods from that ._. However, I have plenty from the games, one of which being in Diamond: "What the hell is this on my lower screen?" Being eight, I was quite confused about the function of the Poketch, and so abhorred it, casting it and the touch screen to the depths of oblivion.

Lifebloom

Brooklyn We Go Hard
Years
  • Seen Apr 28, 2014
The amount of immunity characters have to fall damage in the anime. They probably built the roads out of Styrofoam to be able to walk off with no sweat after falling on solid 'concrete'.

In the games: Dat Silph Co. architecture! The employees must have a hell of a time trying to navigate that atrocity.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
When a Spoink stops bouncing, it dies.

That's kind of eerie, lol. Can't help but wonder how they handle being able to be stationary as a Grumpig. Either immense relief or paranoia at being still and not dying :p

Years
My WTH moments in the anime was when this dissappeared.
images

And in the games some of the Pokedex Entries.
Jellicent: If its veil-like arms stun and wrap a foe, that foe will be dragged miles below the surface, never to return.
Cubone: When it thinks of its dead mother, it cries. Its crying makes the skull it wears rattle hollowly.
Chandelure: Being consumed in Chandelure's flame burns up the spirit, leaving the body behind.
Duskull: It loves the crying of children. It startles bad kids by passing through walls and making them cry.

Like some of these entries are just.. wow..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back