• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonsCanBite

Ancient Member
Years
How well do you know your ROM?
- I make sweet love to it at n- /punch self in face
- Serious answer: I know a lot about mapping, sprite editing, and trainer editing. Other than that though? I have no idea how to do scripts and I'm a total newb at overworld editing. So yeah, I'm expert-level in some stuff and a total newb in others.

How fast did you learn?
- Picked up ROM Hacking in 2004, and finish my first full hack in 06.. I'd say it took about 1 year to get the basics, and 2 to get everything else down. Couldn't have done it without the tools from PC though. :P [Shoutout to AdvancedMap and unlzGBA]

Are you a fan of alteration?
- I don't have an opinion on other people using alteration like that, but frankly I don't do that stuff. The only time I ever editted moves was to give Mudkip a move called "So I herd you liek". [Internet meme.]

Fancying an insider?
- Absolutely. In every hack I have a little easter egg or bonus of sorts.
In one hack, I even put a hard-to-get-to abandonned house that had a talking Magneton in it that would Rick Roll the player.

Last edited:

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
YO!!!!

I haven't been here for the last half year, could anybody quicly sumarize what has happent in the hacking sceene?
There has been mostly big asm advances (e.g. animated trainer sprites in thrird gen, and most everything by colcolstyles recently), but also a few minor things. Colcolstyles, and giradialkia are now the new mods. Most of the real advances in editing systems have been in either a special way to edit a sprite/tilemap in third gen, or in fourth gen. We may even have a funcional fifth gen map editor open to the public soon. Scripting in fourth gen has been done, along with numerous graphical edits. Many new hacks have been started, and many have ended. I'm not going into which ones, since that would take too long, but just know a lot of popularity has shifted. Lots of new data tables and structures have been documented, but most of those aren't listed here at pc. I hope that's enough for now. I would write more, but I've gotta go to bed.

ThaReaper01

I'm on my way...
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 25, 2014
Are there any ROMs that have the Gen 4/5 gameplay design but has the R/B/Y/Fr/Lg storyline?

marcc5m

what
Years
Are there any ROMs that have the Gen 4/5 gameplay design but has the R/B/Y/Fr/Lg storyline?

Nope. Mainly because there is currently no released map editor for the 4th gen, let alone 5th gen. Although that would be pretty interesting to see :O

ThaReaper01

I'm on my way...
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 25, 2014
I probably should have been a bit more clear. What I mean by "design" are things likes attacks being categorized as physical or special, instead of all one type being physical or all one type being special. Things like that. I'm not bothered about the graphics or anything like that.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
I probably should have been a bit more clear. What I mean by "design" are things likes attacks being categorized as physical or special, instead of all one type being physical or all one type being special. Things like that. I'm not bothered about the graphics or anything like that.

I believe that there is a thread over in Research & Development regarding doing exactly that. In fact, I think a patch was released that implements that feature in Fire Red.

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2015
Just a quick (but kind of heavy) question:
Does anyone know if there has ever been/is a... "map" of a Pokemon ROM? I guess just some sort of text file/pdf that says stuff like "Pokemon data is located in between offsets ###### and ######" "Trainer ID is loacted at ######" etc. I know that people that make tools know where certain bits of data are, but I was just wondering if it's ever been compiled into one big encyclopedia of hacking so to speak...

Thanks!

Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2020
Hey guys can you remember me the name of a hack? The game beginns with a poochyena and you got beaten by giovanni with his nidorino and I don't remember the name :S

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
Oh, rom maps? I know of some for Pokemon Red, but I can't remember where I saw it. As for GBA, I don't think one has been made, and if you want one for the DS games, dream on.
Here is Pokemon Red ROM Map.
Speaking of Pokemon Red, has anyone successfully implemented an RTC in Red before?
I'm working on a RTC for pokemon Wood (a Blue hack), although it's not complete yet .

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
YO!!!!

I haven't been here for the last half year, could anybody quicly sumarize what has happent in the hacking sceene?

If it's worth it I'd like to toss in my 2 cents.
Heard a rumor from a "reliable source" that Zel's back and working on Shiny Gold again... and LinkandZelda returned to Liquid Crystal, I know that for sure as I got a copy of the Liquid Crystal dev pack, wolololololo, but then he closed the download for it and released beta 3.
Could be just rumors, but I trust my source, as he's been around the block a time or 2 if you catch the metaphor.

I've been in need of a bunch of new material as well, as it seems a portion of my hacking information and tools may have become a tad out-dated.
It seems HackMew is dead now, as well as many mid-school hackers and tool devs, adding to the collection of exceptional hackers long disappeared from our quaint yet lovable little community.

I myself have been keeping out of the 4th/5th gen stuff since my PC's hardly strong enough to map-edit the Advance GEN games, so I dunno much about that.
I heard somewhere at one point in time too that the Pokedex for the GBA games finally got an upgrade, as someone apparently managed to fit more pokemon in the pokedex.

I guess this could count as a request as well, was wondering if someone could point me towards the most recent advances in GBA hacking, considering the search isn't well suited for that, as I don't know what to search for.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

TL;DR? Zel might be back, People are dead, I need help finding updated info, any help?

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
Heard a rumor from a "reliable source" that Zel's back and working on Shiny Gold again... and LinkandZelda returned to Liquid Crystal, I know that for sure as I got a copy of the Liquid Crystal dev pack, wolololololo, but then he closed the download for it and released beta 3.
Could be just rumors, but I trust my source, as he's been around the block a time or 2 if you catch the metaphor.

I've been in need of a bunch of new material as well, as it seems a portion of my hacking information and tools may have become a tad out-dated.
It seems HackMew is dead now, as well as many mid-school hackers and tool devs, adding to the collection of exceptional hackers long disappeared from our quaint yet lovable little community.

I myself have been keeping out of the 4th/5th gen stuff since my PC's hardly strong enough to map-edit the Advance GEN games, so I dunno much about that.
I heard somewhere at one point in time too that the Pokedex for the GBA games finally got an upgrade, as someone apparently managed to fit more pokemon in the pokedex.

I guess this could count as a request as well, was wondering if someone could point me towards the most recent advances in GBA hacking, considering the search isn't well suited for that, as I don't know what to search for.

TL;DR? Zel might be back, People are dead, I need help finding updated info, any help?

Well, the fact of that matter is, since the people are dead/gone, there haven't been many advances. =(
Oh, and Zel is definitely back. :3

Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2020
Hey guys can you remember me the name of a hack? The game beginns with a poochyena and you got beaten by giovanni with his nidorino and I don't remember the name :S

excuse me but I haven't found yet :/ So if someone remembers I would be very happy :)

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023

If we really want advances lets work and focus in these catagories

1) More pokemon in the Pokedex (if possible adding more than the 25 allowed without replacing) this will do wonders in the hacking community it will rock our world!

2) A little more research on rom expansion, can we really use all the extra space for scripts etc?

3) the follow me script the everyone has been asking for (like pikachu in yellow)

this is all i have from the top of my head

If we can put our heads together and focus on these issues we can completely change the GBA hacking field the dynamics of it

tons of awesome hacks can be born if the issues above were tackled.

and i did hear that LinkandZelda and Zeikku returned in early Feb i guess they are still working on the lastest beta.

well thats my two cents thanks for the info guys.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Well, as some of you might already know... the ROMs of Pokémon Black and Pokémon White have gotten leaked. That's right... a day earlier than it's release. I'm actually pleased to know that as a matter of fact. I know the Maps will be the same in the English versions... but what about the images? Well, if we take a look at the images to see if they've changed in width and height... then maybe we'll learn something new from it?

I'm sure through our research in NDS ROMs and it's game development tastics... surely has helped us learn alot more about how they're made and all that. It just shows how quickly we've actually progressed compared to 2 years ago. Since we've now got the translated version of Crystal Tile 2... we can pretty much do more things. And thanks to the Sterling hex editor as well... it also is able to add and remove values... so we can add and decrease size in a file. Just imagine... if we are able to create an editor that will edit any .nds file and have most of it's development and editing tools. That surely would be wonderful. As I've also typed up a document on how to edit an image using Crystal Tile 2, which works wonders for me... except for one problem: resizing images of course. But I'm sure everything will be fine. ^^

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
If we really want advances lets work and focus in these catagories

1) More pokemon in the Pokedex (if possible adding more than the 25 allowed without replacing) this will do wonders in the hacking community it will rock our world!

2) A little more research on rom expansion, can we really use all the extra space for scripts etc?

3) the follow me script the everyone has been asking for (like pikachu in yellow)

this is all i have from the top of my head

If we can put our heads together and focus on these issues we can completely change the GBA hacking field the dynamics of it

tons of awesome hacks can be born if the issues above were tackled.

and i did hear that LinkandZelda and Zeikku returned in early Feb i guess they are still working on the lastest beta.

well thats my two cents thanks for the info guys.

1: It's been done but I forget by who

2: Long proven, I put all my scripts in the expanded part of the rom, and use the main part for tons more maps so I don't have to manually repoint them. (Since A-Map doesn't automatically put maps in expanded ROM's extra space if I remember right)

3: It can be done with ASM but nobodies done it yet... I was thinking of taking one more crack at learning ASM better, maybe after I learn how sprites are handled in ASM I'll do that, I've got the logic of it all in my head, I made one in XSE once but you had to place it on every tile to get it to work, this one would move another sprite whenever the player moving via button press routine is executed...

kringlur

Velkominn í heim POKéMON!
Years
Just a quick (but kind of heavy) question:
Does anyone know if there has ever been/is a... "map" of a Pokemon ROM? I guess just some sort of text file/pdf that says stuff like "Pokemon data is located in between offsets ###### and ######" "Trainer ID is loacted at ######" etc. I know that people that make tools know where certain bits of data are, but I was just wondering if it's ever been compiled into one big encyclopedia of hacking so to speak...

Thanks!

Made a compilation: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZQ8I1POF
Mostly for Red, but has stuff for the others too. It's just compiled info from various places. Please comment with fixes/additions/whathaveyou.

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
3: It can be done with ASM but nobodies done it yet... I was thinking of taking one more crack at learning ASM better, maybe after I learn how sprites are handled in ASM I'll do that, I've got the logic of it all in my head, I made one in XSE once but you had to place it on every tile to get it to work, this one would move another sprite whenever the player moving via button press routine is executed...

Well, back in September I made this. Recently I completely reworked it so that it now supports running and ledge jumping but I still haven't tackled the problem of switching maps yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back