• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] ✨ The Fairy Garden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Mar 23, 2022
Ahhh yeah the winter wolf update looks great! When you play to your strengths, I think good things come out! There's not much to say until you finish it up, since I feel like most of the things I would say now have the potential of being fixed up as you go-- so I'll just say: Looks great right now! *V*7

Anyway, yeah I can see how the anime proportions can start to feel kind of ??? after practicing a lot of western and realism styles, but I'd just play around with what you know and what you feel looks best! And you know, if you feel more comfortable with the Red Witch/Wolf style, it'd be really cool to see where that goes as well! (Personally I'm a huge supporter of 'If it doesn't look good to me, it doesn't look good to other people', so the aesthetic of it all is the big winner, rather than the anatomy of it!)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
★★~UPDATE~★★

Thing To See : "Gyarados Wallpaper"

Side Note : My first wallpaper and a little surprise I'm working on for my boyfriend! ;) It's 1600 x 900, so it's pretty big. You've been warned! Unfortunately, it's ridiculously unfinished right now, but I just couldn't resist putting it up for you guys to see. n_n;

Enjoy
★★

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
★★~UPDATE~★★

Thing To See : "Patchisou Yutohru"

Side Note : This was a request I did for our very own Patchisou Yutohru featuring Shinx and Joltik. <3;

Enjoy
★★

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Everything new looks good (as said while flailing noodly anime arms) ヽ(ーoー )ノ

No wait, I don't like that. *ahem*
Everything new look great!!! (as said with far too much zeal) ヽ(#`Д´)ノ

Yeah, I haven't done this in a while. I don't remember how it works. ┐( ̄ヮ ̄)┌

I'll get to the point, I like where you're going with Winter and Wolf, Samurai X is awesome and once again shows your strengths in traditional (or at least I think that's pencil), and did I see Meditate Twice already? I like that one too, if I haven't. Diamond Point is lovely as well.

Lady is the name of the Larvitar, right? I like the new picture at the bottom, especially the doodle with the :3 face.

I didn't, like, break any rules did I? Hahaha, I can never tell anymore.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Haha, no you didn't break nay rules. Your post had more than enough substance. <3;

And yes, Samurai X was done in pencil. And yes again, my Larvitar is named Lady. Can't say I've put all that much thought into her as a character in terms of backstory and stuff... but I have been just drawing her a lot. Keeping it consistent. She's... on the road to real development. ._.; I guess.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Not gunna bother adding this to the first page cause I'm lazy so I'll do it later. ;p

pupjcxmr_zpsea8ecf29.jpg

Quick doodle inspired by our very own Signomi. I was recently introduced to her work and, in a fit of creativity, decided to draw this up. :)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
My lazy streak continues!

Updated first post with X & Y fakemon competition piece. My first sprites! Woooo :D I'm working on something pretty big right now, so I'll update with some serious stuff in due time.

Oh, and if you haven't seen this yet, please check out the official Pokecommunity Pokedex Project! Hosted and co-hosted by Jetstream9777 and Kriegstein. These two kids are working on some seriously awesome stuff in there, so please send us your fakemon ideas!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Big Update____________________

Things to see

• new pixel art and a .gif [featured in main post]
  • a bunch of stuff in RPD
  • two new pokemon wallpapers [gliscor and gyarados]

Enjoy <3;
Cause you may not see much more from me anytime soon ;c

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Update____________________
Ignore my last post cause it was a lie. I'm currently in the throws of a new project; pokemon wallpapers. Thing is, I'm exclusively drawing OU pokemon. Next is Tentacruel, but I will take suggestions if you guys want to see anything in specific. Just remember, they must be OU.

Things to see

• 1600 x 900 reuniclus wallpaper
  • 1600 x 900 gengar wallpaper

Enjoy

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
New pixel art.

VOLCARONA_FINAL_zpsc98a17d4.png

it's also in my sig, if you didn't already notice. :p

Will update this to main post when it's not 2am.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
Your pixel art's amazing, Jo. I'm no spriter so I don't know if my words carry as much weight as, say, Logiedan's would carry but they look really amazing to me. California Girl is really, really pretty. I like every aspect of it be it coloring or shading. The background patterns really do add to the piece as well. It just meshes together really well.

There's one thing, though, that irks me.
1yX5Ui7.png

The way her shoulder has been drawn just doesn't look natural to me. It looks as if it's bent more than it was supposed to be. Might just be me, though. Idk.

Volcarona (if that's its name) sprite-work is gorgeous as hell. <3; I adore it.

Another one of your recent stuff that caught my eye was the gengar wallpaper - it looks great. In my opinion, what makes it look better when compared to similar works like the gyrados wallpaper is that the brushes you chose to use look far more appropriate there. The pokemon themselves look good in all three of them, no doubt, but efficient utilization of brushes in the gengar wallpaper makes it stand out from the rest. White splatter looks yummy behind gengar and the one you used behind gastly is just as nice. <3;

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Haha, yeah the sad thing is, that was the only way her shoulder did look right. That was my first real pixel art piece, and I just couldn't get all of it to work seamlessly. One of these days I'll go back and actually clean her up. But not today. :p

And yeah, I was definitely getting more comfortable with my new stuff when doing the Gengar wallpaper. The earlier ones are messy, but hey, I'm still learnin' :3 (As you can probably tell, the first lesson I learned was "less is more" xP). It's been a heck of a lot of fun trying out new things though! It means a lot to me that you noticed. n_n;
third page thanks dero hun~!

cutebirdes_kanji_zpscf9e3fb9.png
Update____________________
New section added under Pokemon Works. Sprites! My latest thing. I'm taking a break from the wallpaper project due to lack of motivation / interest. Sooo yeah.

Things to see

• Bunch of sprites. Like five of them or something lol

Enjoy

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Unconventional Update____________________
Just a doodle and a picture n_n; idk felt like posting. First one's sort of an unintentional self portrait, the second is a Larvesta plush my boyfriend bought me. Best plush ever y/y?

f89gqt6q_zpsdb3f7356.png

IMAG0240-1_zpsf32ebd57.png

Enjoy

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
Years
omigsoh you've added so much since i've last looked at your artwork. your sprites are amazing! i love the shading and how realistic they are. how long does it usually take you to complete one big sprite like that?
your new sketch you just posted above is amazing! i love the eyes! i'm immediately drawn to them. it's like you can feel her emotions.
the photo you posted is alright, the lighting is kinda bad and i wish it had some type of a more visible light source.
keep posting!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
KAAYYLLAAAA~~~ I missed you hun <3

Yeah! A lot has happened! n_n; And thanks! Prepare yourself though, this is quite the story to answer your question. @_@; I've been meaning to get this officially in a post anyway because a lot of people have come together to inspire my latest spriting craze, so bare with me.

As always, the duration really depends on what piece I'm spriting. Originally, I had entered an X & Y competition, hosted by Aerylin and created my first ever fakemon sprite. Then, I did the California girl sprite from a drawing, inspired by [supporter]Signomi[/supporter], which was my first attempt at spriting a fully drawn piece by myself. Then, TwilghtBlade sent me this adorable picture of a Volcarona and Larvesta, so I decided to sprite it for fun! Props must also go to [supporter]Scarf[/supporter] for showing me how beautiful spriting can be, and Logiedan for keeping some tutorials available.

Since then, I've been going around spriting other people's lovely drawings -- partially because I'm too afraid to sprite my own, and mostly because their ideas are better. n_n; Not the most graceful answer, but the truth. Naturally, credit has been given to all of the original artists.

Anyway, your question!

The time it takes depends on the complexity of the original drawing and how much depth I want to put into the spriting. In the beginning, I'd probably spend about a total of three hours over the course of a few days (I'm slow lol). As I've gradually increased the difficulty level of the drawings I choose, I'm spending close to a week spriting. Hence why Rayquaza is still a WIP, as it is the most complicated.

But some things are just treats for me. :D Like my "Thread Lock" Pikachu or my latest; the ever classic

spheal_of_approval_zpsf37dc172.png

which I knocked out in under an hour. xD

I've also been doing request pieces, like the Shiny Whimsicott and Jumpluff, which take as long as they need to be perfect. Again, depends on the complexity.

Woo okay, now that that's over with, I can say thanks! I like to think I took everyone's critiques to heart, so even my doodles have begun to show improvement. I'm glad it caught your attention.

As for the photo? Well, maybe my gallery wasn't the best place to post it lol. It's not supposed to be "art" necessarily. I just wanted to show it off, really. Can you blame me? It's so CUTE! But I will take you comments into consideration next time I photograph my plushes! :3

Thanks Kayla! <3

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
You've come a long way, Jo. Just look at stuff with which you started off in here. And the kind of stuff that you're showcasing now. Quite a substantial amount of difference, really. Your art has improved a lot; A LOT. And I'm so glad I could be a spectator and look at your journey from the time you posted your first work till now. Just keep going forward like this. You're doing an amazing job. I'd love to see how much you improve from here on out so I'll regret not being able to see what pieces of epicness you decide to showcase in this gallery in the year to come; but alas, nothing can be done about that. Nevertheless, I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun going through those when I return. And I'll post a tl;dr with me fanboying over your stuff which'll be so long that it'll be hard for you to handle, haha.

But yeah. I realize this post isn't directed to any specific work of yours but there's not really much I can say here, really. You've improved tons. I love all your recent additions. A lot. <3; Though, if I may, allow me to say this - if your self portrait is so goddamn beautiful then I can't wait till I get to see a real pic of yourself, lmao. sowwie Nick not trying anything honestly The facial expression is really well done. It's a notch above the sketches of female characters you've posted and I'm sure you do realize it. Or maybe not and I'm just attracted to the pic, lol. :p

It just wouldn't feel right if I didn't drop in to post a comment before leaving so here I am, haha. Sorry it was kinda on the short side. ;o;

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
ilu Dero~ n_n;

I got a few new sprites up. I decided to try devamping! It...it is not easy. Like, I totally went into it thinking, "oh! This is so simple, it's basically just dumbing current sprites down". No no no. The rules and the restrictions.. it definitely forces you to think critically about how sprites work. And All I did was recolor! I didn't even try making them from scratch. It is not simple, at all. I don't think I'm up to snuff with my spriting skills enough to start devamping. I mean, I did repose Whimsicott a tiny bit -- I changed the mouth and the arms, but fundamentally it's still the same. But hey, you have to start somewhere, right?
whimsicott_devamp_zps271c180c.png

So yeah, enjoy. :p

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Euphoric... that's the perfect title for this thread xD

Alright, most of what I'm seeing here takes A LOT of skill and art, especially the distinct colours and lighting and such.

But... can you change the image quality from .jpg to .png? I'm saying only for the SMALLER pieces. Because I could clearly see the difference in quality in this image. Changing all of them into png will give you humongous load time problems, so yes.

Well I'm going to leave the Pokémon Sprites for the last since I think that's the most special ;)

That Gliscor wallpaper looks rather cool, so I guess that you've remodelled the shading and colours a million times to get that lol.

The Excadrill as well is great to see. The blades on the hands must've been some trouble to make.

The rest of the drawings are really good, I can see that you're excellent at lineart! You should try making more and more sketches. SKETCHES IS YOUR STRONG POINT

This guy... I think his head went out of shape. Make him taller.

Terrible angle, yes.

This piece is really good. Nice to see such detail, yes, especially the kimono.

The sprite art:
I see that you're enjoying creating these. And why shouldn't you? The margin of error is comparitively lesser, since the original art is stacked beforehand. I can suggest you to MAKE A SKETCH AND SPRITE IT. Combine both talents and lol. You will be the best. I like how effectively you use dithering, but try lessening them around Volcarona's wing sprouts. Then: Whimsicott's mouth. The shading looks rather out-of-place, consider revising it or for convenience remove the shading. Won't make much of a difference.

The Rayquaza WIP is far by the best piece. It's shading style is mixed, and the colours used sure brightens it.

One thing I learnt by looking here is that you've been drawing for centuries. You must have so much experience.

Hope-to-see-more. Good luck!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Ah, thank you for the review Hoenn! n_n;

It's comments like this that make me wish I never revamped my gallery. I've since gotten rid of all of the explanations of *why* exactly some pieces turn out the way they do. Also keep in mind that I only recently acquired the tools for proper digital drawing. Things like, .jpeg, .png, etc were a mystery to me no more than a month ago. I assure you now all of my drawings are saved under one correct format. :) I just never went back to fix all of the old stuff. [/bad, lazy artist]

Anyway, Kratos, for example, is based on an anatomical sketch by Da Vinci. He is supposed to have exaggerated features, as is the nature of the original sketch and the character itself. I think for a while I had the Da Vinvi sketch up for comparison, making it somewhat easier to see why I took some of the creative routes I did. But again, this was removed. But, anyway, the generous proportions were done on purpose.

Wolverine, eh, I just never got rid of him. :p No excuse it's a bad drawing and filler from when I needed to occupy the gallery with four pieces. Needs to be put someone off of the main gallery.

The kimono girl.. ah.. It's weird because the pieces I like the least (gliscor / kimono girl) are my most popular, go figure. Glad you like it though! Looks like that particular drawing is dying for a revamp.

Pixel art...

Well, I've been having a hell of a lot of fun with it. That's no lie. But.. I don't know if I'm really ready (or comfortable enough with my skills) to start spriting my own work. The California girl piece was the first I did though, and while I'm not disappointed with how to came out, it's clear that I bit off more than I could chew. For now, I still need to learn the basics and the rules. So practice with other, more simplistic artistic styles seems like the most logical route to me.

I guess what I'm saying is that I want to have a greater appreciation for pixel art before I go around saying I'm some master at it. There's still a lot I need to learn. As for Rayquaza? Well... .__.; The style it's in is far too tedious and complicated.. so if anything, it'll be a while before I make any substantial progress with it.

But hey, that means a lot coming from you. I know you're quite the veteran spriter! I'll take any and all advice you can give me. :D Thank you, so so much for the feedback.

Also

breloom_shroomish_autumn_zps829ebf14.png

This post needed more Breloom. n_n;

Years
  • Seen Mar 20, 2016
holy crap this is some really impressive work!! are you using photo shop? ive had a drawing tablet since last xmas but im struggling to get thing looking so crisp and neat. ant tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back