• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RSE Remake Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingCyndaquil

Pokemon Master
Years
The games may come out before the third game, it happened with emerald, i wouldn't give up hope yet, their not too far out of range to release these the games

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Does Hoenn even need remakes? In a few years people who like Sinnoh will keep bugging everyone for remakes as well and of course it won't make any sense because Sinnoh is already made in semi-3D and looks pretty damn good.

I could argue some points for a Hoenn remake:

- Graphics.
- Playing through Hoenn with 6th gen mechanics.

That's basically all there is to it, and IMO, that's too little for a remake.

For a remake to be worth it, they have to add something. FRLG had the Sevii Islands. HGSS had the Safari Zone, rematches with gym leaders and E4, many ways to catch Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokémon, new Viridian Forest, ability to catch the legendary birds, Battle Frontier... It was a ton of stuff. HGSS was the game I believe Gamefreak would've made if they had the resources back in 1999.

Hoenn, I believe, was fully fleshed in Emerald. It's a quite long game and there's a lot to do, because of the long routes and very long gaps between badges (from second to third, and from third to fourth, you have to do much traveling). The post-game isn't as extensive as in other games because of it. There's the Sky Pillar, the Regis (which I think you can catch before the E4), ability to catch both Groudon and Kyogre, Latios and Latias, and the Battle Frontier. That's not a lot to do, compared to Platinum (which has a new island to explore) and HGSS (the whole of Kanto, as well as tons of legendaries), and even FRLG (Four Island and beyond, E4 rematch). But it's what they could add to the world without making an exceedingly long game. What else could they add to Hoenn? An island to catch Sinnoh Pokémon?

Plus there's the fact that, after starting another playthrough of it, I realized it really wasn't that good of a game... It has some glaring difficulty issues. For example, the third gym uses Electric Pokémon, but the only Ground Pokémon you can find before Wattson is Geodude. In FRLG, for example, you can find Geodude, Sandshrew, and naturally Diglett. Before Flannery you can have Geodude, maybe fish for a Tentacool, or Gyarados (although Gyarados sucks in 3rd gen because it can't do crap with Water moves). It's quite ironic that the generation that introduced the most Water Pokémon has so few options before the Fire gym... It seems like they wanted to force you to start with Mudkip.

Also, many of the new Pokémon introduced at the beginning of the game learn worthless moves by level up. Seedot and Lotad are very hard to raise (if you want a Grass type you have to catch a Shroomish, which is redundant if you started with Torchic), Ralts is stopped dead by the ever so common Poochyena, both evolutions of Wurmple are horrible, Marill has incredibly poor attacking stats... I see people complaining about Purrloin in BW, heck I'd rather have Purrloin than some of the Pokémon they give you at the beginning in Hoenn. You only find good Pokémon after the first badge (Taillow becomes more common and Abra is introduced), but Abra is annoying to raise until evolution. I got to a point in the game where I literally didn't know what to use because everything would become worthless later on, and I always end up with Taillow, Aron/Geodude, Electrike, maybe Ralts. Considering they give you the ability to choose between 200 Pokémon in Hoenn, that's a real lack of variety, either that or all the good Pokémon come really late into the game.

I don't know, I just don't find Hoenn very enjoyable to play through... It seems the game wasn't very well thought out and they wanted to make a beautiful landscape but didn't make it very accessible.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
If Game Freak makes those RSE remakes we all want (and need), they should extend the Hoenn dex, just like how they extended the Sinnoh dex in Pokemon Platinum. And if they do, they should add the Gen 4 evos/prevos of the Hoenn dex Pokes (Chingling, Rhyperior, Roserade, Gallade, etc.) as well as other interesting lines, like those of Gastly, Elekid, Magby, Tangela, Houndour, and Togepi.

Years
I could pretty much say the same for HGSS. All we really got were some updated graphics and a few new things such as the Safari zone. We could get all the Johto Pokemon through Generation 3, it would have been a lot of work but it is possible.

The same goes for Hoenn Pokemon. It's a lot of work to capture all the Hoenn Pokemon, nearly as much work as is it was to get Johto Pokemon during Gen 4.

Of course getting Remakes all depends on what Pokemon are made available in X and Y.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
I don't know, I just don't find Hoenn very enjoyable to play through... It seems the game wasn't very well thought out and they wanted to make a beautiful landscape but didn't make it very accessible.

Wouldn't that be a perfect reason to give it a second playthrough(ala remakes)? Though they were my favorites of the series to date, even I felt like the Hoenn story was flawed in some areas(one of the obvious things being their motives to a degree) and could do with some touching up. Along with the visuals being updated(which would serve Hoenn exceptionally well because of it's natural feel; Fortree City treehouses, Sootopolis City inside of a crater, the soot falling near Fallarbor Town, etc.) this could be an opportunity to erase (some of) that odd hate towards Gen III and for it to be more of an improvement than just visuals(which remakes should be anyways).

Just as Johto got some new areas(though I agree with others on that argument about HGSS not being needed but...yea), Hoenn also had plenty of inaccessible islands/areas located on the map that they could throw in some extras with.

Last edited:

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Maybe they will give a Hoenn remake for the 3DS?

Because the remakes went like this, so maybe this could be a pattern?

Gen I remake = Gameboy Advanced
Gen II remake = Nintendo DS
Gen III remake = Nintendo 3DS?

I sure hope they will do this. Hoenn would look AMAZING with the graphics of Gen VI.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
Maybe next its the next game, cos...

Gen I remakes: after Gen III game
Gen II remakes: after Gen IV game
Gen III remakes: Suposedly be after Gen V game, but I sense Game Freak trolling us and so its after the Gen VI game?

But then again... the're already some kind of connectivity between all of the games, Pal Park and all that Pokemon transfer good stuff.

blue

gucci
Years
Once X & Y have been released, RS Remakes will be high in demand, higher than any point infact. It was pretty split in the lead-up to the Jan 8th Announcement between a Remake & Gen VI, so once these two games have been released and people are anticipating the next games I can only assume 90% will be demanding Remakes. I'm hoping that's the way it goes, I would love remakes but I'm looking forward to X & Y right now.

Years
  • Seen Apr 5, 2018
The fact that X/Y were announced is not trolling. Sure, it may have seemed like R/S remakes were next in line, but they clearly weren't, especially with Game Freak being in the awkward transitory phase between the DS and 3DS even long after the 3DS' release.

I think it would be more accurate to say that remakes come every new console generation, hence there being none in the fifth generation, I'm betting that R/S remakes come out 2014/2015, honestly.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
The trailer was awesome! It took me by suprise especially the names! X and Y.

Couldn't those just be codenames? Not that they aren't cool; they're just very unconventional for the Pokémon series. Weren't 'precious metals' next after 'colors' because of the BW1/2 reset?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Couldn't those just be codenames? Not that they aren't cool; they're just very unconventional for the Pokémon series. Weren't 'precious metals' next after 'colors' because of the BW1/2 reset?

Pokemon X and Pokemon Y are the official names and the names they will be upon release. Gold/Silver are also "colors" as well as Metals. Gen 2 cannot be called the "Precious metals" generation due to Crystal, which is a mineral. Gen 3 was all Gemstone/Birthstones. Gen 4 was 1 Metal, 1 Inorganic Mineral, and 1 Organic Mineral. Gen 5 were hues as Black and White are not colors themselves. They are known as Tints (lighteners) and Shades (darkeners).

Really other than Gens 2 and 4, there aren't centered themes. And to keep with the discussion, there was no pattern set. They names just happened to come out like that. Yes B/W Reset the Pokemon world, but not the release or other unofficial patterns (almost all of them are broken thanks to B/W so it doesn't matter anyway.)

The Reset was for the Meta Game and the "Pokemon World" in a sense. The Gameplay changed pretty drastically with B/W's addition of 3 new battle formats AND Hidden Abilities, not to mention B2W2's new Breeding system.

Gen 6 is the "Evolution" series as they are to evolve what we have experienced with Pokemon to another level.

With this evolution, its kinda hard to see us going backwards. Only time will tell, but we may have seen the last of Remakes for now. Maybe if they do something completely knew that breaks connection with Gen 5 in Gen 6 we'd be able to expect Gen 3 remakes.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
With this evolution, its kinda hard to see us going backwards. Only time will tell, but we may have seen the last of Remakes for now. Maybe if they do something completely knew that breaks connection with Gen 5 in Gen 6 we'd be able to expect Gen 3 remakes.

I really hope this is the case, or else Gamefreak will have to make remakes of remakes in the future. :P

Don't see why Hoenn would need a remake, it already started on a decent console like the GBA, unlike GSC which was on the old thing called the *ugh* GB.

I personally thought Gamefreak handled the 5th gen very intelligently. They gave us two games with no old Pokémon before the end of the story mode, and then direct sequels of those games. The absence of remakes was the icing on the cake for a generation that puzzled many people, although, truth be told, 5th gen was more like Generation 4.5 IMO, so remakes were really unlikely to come out during this gen anyway.

If they ever make an RSE remake it will be in 2014 which is the 10th anniversary of Emerald. Not likely, but possible.

blue

gucci
Years
I think it's safe to say that they aren't sticking to the 10th anniversary rule, it was a good opportunity for HGSS being the right timing, a new-ish console etc but to put another remake on the same handheld as the previous set of remakes would really go down well IMO.

I think it seems more logical to stick to the new handheld, new remake theory. We had the GBA and soon after we got FRLG, we then had the DS which was followed by HGSS, now that GBA games are incompatible with the 3DS and the fact that the 3DS is considered a new handheld, I think Ruby & Sapphire Remakes would fit in well around the 2014-2015 time slot following Pokemon X & Y. Comparing the GBA graphics with the 3DS graphics is similar to comparing GBC graphics to GBA graphics... they're due for an overhaul.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
I'm not sure if I could imagine remakes in those new style of graphics. Not that it's a bad thing, but to be honest it wouldn't really feel as nostalgic for me without the top view overworld sprite.

What if the Hoenn remakes had graphics that were a 3D version of that picture of May followed by a Linoone walking through some grass? Who put in their signature for a bit again, and where'd it come from and go?

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
A few days ago while arguing with people on Pokémemes I realized something.

Long story short, I as always, was trying to tell people that RSE remakes were never properly announced, and with Ruby and Sapphire being compatible by proxy with the current Gen (plus, being at the very beginning of the Pokémon timeline, thus not really contemporary with the current Gen, as was the case with the other remakes) , they aren't as likely to happen as people think... basically the same theory I've expressed a few pages back on this very topic. In addition to some funny backlash, I mostly got two valid counter-arguments:

• The DS/DS Lite is a fragile machine, so the Gen 3 => Gen 4 compatibility is not long for this world.
  • Game Freak is a company. Whatever is profitable, they'll do.

And then, another user, in passing, mentioned another possibility of an RSE re-release. And I though that that would take care of both problems neatly, bring roughly the same profit (because there's much, much less expenses involved) and give Game Freak more time to develop new things. Plus, it wasn't possible when remakes of the first two Gens were released, so I can imagine them switching to this now that they can. So, here goes:

What if the RSE re-release we'll get... is a 3DS Virtual Console release, patched to be compatible with the current games and with trades via Wi-Fi?

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I think it's safe to say that they aren't sticking to the 10th anniversary rule, it was a good opportunity for HGSS being the right timing, a new-ish console etc but to put another remake on the same handheld as the previous set of remakes would really go down well IMO.

I think it seems more logical to stick to the new handheld, new remake theory. We had the GBA and soon after we got FRLG, we then had the DS which was followed by HGSS, now that GBA games are incompatible with the 3DS and the fact that the 3DS is considered a new handheld, I think Ruby & Sapphire Remakes would fit in well around the 2014-2015 time slot following Pokemon X & Y. Comparing the GBA graphics with the 3DS graphics is similar to comparing GBC graphics to GBA graphics... they're due for an overhaul.

BW were DSi titles, and the DSi is incompatible with RSE. Still, there were no remakes.

The only reason for remakes is to be able to catch all the Hoenn Pokémon again. It was the same thing with RS back then, the easiest way to catch all the Kanto Pokémon was just to create a remake of the first games. Same with DPPt and HGSS, there are barely any Johto Pokémon in the Sinnoh games so a remake was necessary. People who want remakes lie to themselves believing this wasn't the reason behind the creation of previous remakes, but it was. Seeing Hoenn in 3D isn't enough reason for a remake. It maybe isn't fair that Hoenn was the only region not depicted in semi-3D, but it would be greatly unfair if Hoenn was the only region among the old ones depicted in full 3D, especially when there's no reason why Hoenn should be so special to the Pokémon franchise.

If XY come out and there aren't many Hoenn Pokémon (like, there aren't at least 50 Pokémon from Hoenn), then I'll start believing there's a possibility of RSE remakes, but I'll still think they're unlikely because I think Gamefreak is done with the old regions. In fact, I think the only reason they created HGSS was because GSC were a huge success (way bigger than Hoenn was, for example) and the push for GSC remakes was much bigger than the nostalgia wave we're seeing with Hoenn right now. People wanted GSC remakes since before DP were released.

A few years from now the kids who grew with Sinnoh will start requesting remakes of Sinnoh games for the ninth generation Nintendo handheld, and (if I'm still playing Pokémon by then) I'll tell them the same, as much as I love Sinnoh.

A few days ago while arguing with people on Pokémemes I realized something.

Long story short, I as always, was trying to tell people that RSE remakes were never properly announced, and with Ruby and Sapphire being compatible by proxy with the current Gen (plus, being at the very beginning of the Pokémon timeline, thus not really contemporary with the current Gen, as was the case with the other remakes) , they aren't as likely to happen as people think... basically the same theory I've expressed a few pages back on this very topic. In addition to some funny backlash, I mostly got two valid counter-arguments:

• The DS/DS Lite is a fragile machine, so the Gen 3 => Gen 4 compatibility is not long for this world.
  • Game Freak is a company. Whatever is profitable, they'll do.

And then, another user, in passing, mentioned another possibility of an RSE re-release. And I though that that would take care of both problems neatly, bring roughly the same profit (because there's much, much less expenses involved) and give Game Freak more time to develop new things. Plus, it wasn't possible when remakes of the first two Gens were released, so I can imagine them switching to this now that they can. So, here goes:

What if the RSE re-release we'll get... is a 3DS Virtual Console release, patched to be compatible with the current games and with trades via Wi-Fi?

This is very unlikely because they would need to create a GTS in RSE and it's pointless to code for outdated software. This also being the reason why I think we'll never see Pokémon games in the Virtual Console, since connectivity has always been a huge part of Pokémon.

Also, Pokémon data from 3rd gen is incompatible with the later gens and needs to be converted to work properly. Really, the Pal Park was just a way to recreate a 3rd gen Pokémon in 4th gen with 4th gen data. Trading is a completely different matter, both games need to use the same code for Pokémon, and RSE has outdated code which is no longer used in the other games.

Last edited:

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
This is very unlikely because they would need to create a GTS in RSE and it's pointless to code for outdated software. This also being the reason why I think we'll never see Pokémon games in the Virtual Console, since connectivity has always been a huge part of Pokémon.

Also, Pokémon data from 3rd gen is incompatible with the later gens and needs to be converted to work properly. Really, the Pal Park was just a way to recreate a 3rd gen Pokémon in 4th gen with 4th gen data. Trading is a completely different matter, both games need to use the same code for Pokémon, and RSE has outdated code which is no longer used in the other games.

Well, I didn't really mean full on trades with the current systems with the GTS and everything :) (I apologize, I was in a hurry when I wrote that so I didn't exactly say what I meant). I think that a VC release with the official emulator patched to support connectivity via Wi-Fi as if it was a link cable for trades between VC Ruby/VC Sapphire and an app (or a feature in the emulator) that would be able to convert Gen 3 to Gen 6 Pokémon à-la Pal Park isn't that unrealistic :) . They have the specs for both formats after all, and they'll only have to adjust their emulator, not the games themselves.

(plus, they could reuse the Wi-Fi as link cable for more GBA VC releases, so... I'd call it an interesting investment)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
BW were DSi titles, and the DSi is incompatible with RSE. Still, there were no remakes.
B/W are not DSi games. They are DSi Compatible but not made for the DSi. B2W2 are DSi and 3DS compatible. The only DSi game in existence was a picture taking game that got horrible reviews and didn't have a very long shelf life. All Gen 5 games are DS (original) titles.

The only reason for remakes is to be able to catch all the Hoenn Pokémon again. It was the same thing with RS back then, the easiest way to catch all the Kanto Pokémon was just to create a remake of the first games. Same with DPPt and HGSS, there are barely any Johto Pokémon in the Sinnoh games so a remake was necessary. People who want remakes lie to themselves believing this wasn't the reason behind the creation of previous remakes, but it was. Seeing Hoenn in 3D isn't enough reason for a remake. It maybe isn't fair that Hoenn was the only region not depicted in semi-3D, but it would be greatly unfair if Hoenn was the only region among the old ones depicted in full 3D, especially when there's no reason why Hoenn should be so special to the Pokémon franchise.

Actually the only reason to have Hoenn remade is for its story. Even if they don't have a large amount of Hoenn Pokemon in Gen 6, Almost 90% are available in Gen 5 with the last remaining 10% being in Gen 4 games are coded in game events. This excludes Gen 3's two Wifi Legends of course as those have never been given In Game events without the need to participate in some download even to unlock. So the only reason to remake Hoenn is for Graphic update and story update. Same can be said for Generation 1 games again as they are still on the same outdated graphics as Gen 3. Only thing we'd lose for the Gen 1 re-remakes is the Sevii Islands story which could be replaced with a different story altogether.

If XY come out and there aren't many Hoenn Pokémon (like, there aren't at least 50 Pokémon from Hoenn), then I'll start believing there's a possibility of RSE remakes, but I'll still think they're unlikely because I think Gamefreak is done with the old regions. In fact, I think the only reason they created HGSS was because GSC were a huge success (way bigger than Hoenn was, for example) and the push for GSC remakes was much bigger than the nostalgia wave we're seeing with Hoenn right now. People wanted GSC remakes since before DP were released.
HG/SS was remade to bring Johto back into the circle of connection same reason FR/LG were made. As stated, only reason to remake them would be to update graphics and story as you can transfer all the Hoenn Pokemon to Gen 6 through Gen 5. Majority of Hoenn Pokemon are found in Gen 5 alone. Starters and Key Legends (Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza) are only found in Gen 4 which is an easy transfer to Gen 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back