• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Your name

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
So the old thread died out, and there's a few people that might not have got the chance to answer, or changed their minds! I also want to ask some additional questions this time, too. :)

So what do you want to name yourself and why? What do you think of being able to change your name mid-way through? Or maybe even going by a nickname (say I chose Nica as nickname) and someone calling you your official name (being Forever) on important matters? Do you think the letter limit for names needs extending?? Give any other name-related thoughts gogo!

Years
You know, I always thought the old limits for names were too short. I think I'm going to choose the same name I have in Black 2 which is Vash. But I think the idea of going by different nicknames during the course of the game is interesting, too. I definitely agree that it would seem more official to have a full name and then go by a nickname during the non-important aspects of the game. It seems so weird that once you beat the Elite 4 you just go by a first name.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
I'll most likely call myself Terra again since the name more or less stuck with me when doing new runs on a Pokemon game after White. I may change it to something along the lines of Agni later on if I had the opportunity but that would depend if I ever grew tired of using Terra as a name at some point.

Nickname wise I'd probably go with just Taer or something similar since I always preferred my nicknames to be shortened abbreviations and relatively simple.

Or if any of my friends uses a similar name on any of their runs I can always just call myself Bix Nood and call it a day lol.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
I started calling my character Aero ever since I started Pearl because I didn't want my real name getting around as the OT and such. Now I just do it regularly.

Now I'll probably go with Zayn though. ;]

Years
I was always annoyed by the 7 character limit for Trainer names, so glad my name barely fits the limit. One more letter and I may have had to adopt an alternate name to use.

As for changing names halfway through, I guess it would be alright if you have a nickname or something. But I'll still use Nichole as my Trainer name, cos that's my real name!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I wish they'd raise the character limit. Especially in these days when parents give their kids weird long names like Sharquesha and Prince Michael Jr. Anyway, if I play as the female, I'll name her Allison or Alli. Male will probably be Mark, Nick, Wyatt, or any male name I'm interested in at the time I start the game. The male protag doesn't look much different from Hilbert and Nate though, so I doubt I'll even use him.

Changing your name mid-game seems really, really weird. I can see it being a post-game feature, but not something right in the middle of the game. It'd be useful for if your game is a storage game and you do your trading and breeding there and want your name to be better for it, but changing it in the middle would be a bit strange imo.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I think the character length is alright, but they could probably increase it a little to accommodate for longer names. I think going by one name throughout the game is more than enough. It might get a little confusing if NPCs started calling you by different names. Changing your name midway? Well, you can't change your own real name midway of your life unless you're a criminal on the run, no? Hahaha. xD I'll probably name my character after my real name, or by the character's official name. I might try going with other names though.

Student D1

De-Wott?
Years
Well, my name is perfectly fit for both Japanese and English versions, since my real first name is just 5 letters. However, ever since I created my username, I tend to name myself Student instead, and I find it fine. That way, I don't get to reveal my real name, but just my alias. :D (And by the way, if ever I play the female, merely for fun and other stuff, I might name her Stella. Why? ...I dunno, I just like it. xD)

It would be all right though if they raised the character limit, for other people's sake. There are people who have longer names and it would unfortunate if they won't be able to enter it due to the small character limit.

As for nicknames, I suppose that is okay for me; but than changing our names mid-game, how 'bout at the starting? I mean like, we will insert the Trainer Name we want [e.g. Student], and then we'll be asked if we want to have a nickname; if so, then that's the time we can enter our nickname [e.g. Stu]. That way, we have our real name, that can be used in the Hall of Fame or other important matters as mentioned, and we have our nickname, where our rival, other main characters and various NPCs will call you by that.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
Being able to go by a nickname (similar to what was done in B2W2's Join Avenue) would be a neat feature. It would be cool for some characters to refer to you by your nickname while others use your "real" name (like a childhood friend/rival vs a Gym Leader). As for what I'd name my character, still my real name. It would be great to see the character limit extended, though!

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
Years
I would prefer it to let us use our full names. But I don't really see their current system changing anytime soon. So I'll just go with my usual name "Brenden". Because that is my rl name, and if I use my real name then it makes me feel like 'Hey, I'm apart of this world! I'm a real pokemon trainer now!' Only until I defeat the Elite 4 and realize that the whole experience was only just a game and fall into a state of depression once I realize the real world is boring.

So yep. Naming him 'Brenden'.

Years
Kura, because I can't use Kurapika nor Kurapikachu... -__-'
I just hope they would extend the characters limit.
Changing the name mid-game sounds silly...
The possibility to have a nickname sounds nice, you could have the name go with the OT stuff and the nickname be the way (most) NPCs address to you.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
I think this time I will name myself Talli because that's my online name. Why would want to change name half way though your journey ? to be honest it sounds weird to change a name half way though a journey. Nickname thoughs sound cool

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I'd definitely like to see the character limit for names be extended. I mean, Pokémon nicknames are 10 characters, why can't our names be 10 characters as well? As far as changing your name midway through, I think that's just weird, but I guess the nickname sense from Join Avenue being integrated into the regular game would be cool.

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
I'll either use my real name (Kevin) or use whatever their official name is.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'd love to be able to have an alternate nickname, which is why I mentioned it :3 When we're about to face the legendaries we'd be called our official name, which wouldn't be too hard to implement imo. Also what if we got a specific colour set for each time our character speaks or is referenced?? WOULDN'T THAT BE AMAZING? :)

Also ya imma be Forever in-game.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Yeah there should probably be a way to add your first and last name too, and maybe implement a nickname? Well, there are last names in pokemon, so, it'd be fun to have. Anyway, I have a bunch of names in mind, but, I think I'll name myself Aryll? Or like maybe Aryll "Teapot" Yamato... or something like that.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Having a last name in there would actually be pretty cool. Maybe Gym Leaders and the Elite Four would refer to you by your full name, while other characters would just refer to you as your first? If setting a nickname was a possibility maybe your family and rival would call you by that instead?

Back