• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Bug-Catching Contest

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
In Pokémon Gold, Silver and Crystal there was an event that took place every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday in the National Park called the Bug-Catching Contest. In the contest you had 20 minutes to catch the best bug type Pokémon you could find. At the end you were judged against NPCs and items were awarded for how well you did. So did you like the Bug-Catching Contest? How could it have been improved? Which other bug Pokémon should have been available there? Did it make up for the lack of a Safari Zone?

Discuss!

Spr_2c_213.gif

I'm a Shuckle~

Magnetic

Underground Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jan 29, 2018
I love all the creative, unique things Pokemon comes out with in each game. I don't remember a ton of how my bug catching contests fared, I just remembered liking it and winning it a lot lol.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I really liked participating in them. I think if they had a few more Pokémon to find or had some sort of bonus for catching one of each would have been nice. I think it does sort of make up for not having a Safari Zone. I think Heracross and Shuckle would have been cool finds.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
I really enjoyed the bug catching contests in G/S/C even though I probably lost most of the time. I feel like they should of added Venomoth,ledian,Aridoes or however it's spelled as they had Butterfree and Beedrill.

Magnetic

Underground Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jan 29, 2018
Pretty sure this helped me out too. I think it helped me get stronger pokemon than I had in my party haha.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I liked participating in those contests a lot! It gave me the opportunity to fill up my Pokedex with any bug-types I hadn't yet captured. I did win a few times with either a Scyther or a Pinsir, but even if I didn't win, I still loved catching those bugs. It wouldn't really substitute for a Safari Zone, but I guess it's alright.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I have convinced myself that I don't like silly bugs, but I did try a lot in the contest, ALWAYS ending up second with my Scyther. I'm pretty sure the reward was a Sun Stone which was a little nice too. But I couldn't get, always the Gold Berry.

IMO it's a silly excuse stead of a Safari Zone, and the region could be better with a Safari Zone.

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
I would have liked a Safari Zone, because those are the coolest (imo) but it still was fun to go to the Contest and catch an awesome Scyther and win a sweet prize. Although I feel like I lost too often and was beaten by some of the strong bugs before I got to catch any cool ones. :P

Guest123_x1

I participated in the Bug Catching Contest primary to get certain bug-types not available by any other means (such as Scyther, Pinsir, and the other line of caterpillar/cocoon/adult Pokémon not found earlier in the game). I rarely ever won the contest on top, even if I chose to keep a Scyther or Pinsir-and thought the whole thing was fixed like those quiz shows from the 1950s.

Years
This contest was sooo easy. Once I found out that your rank is based on the remaining HP of your caught Pokemon, winning became so easy. I pretty much found the best Pokemon I could at the highest level and kept chucking Park Balls until it was caught with full/near full HP.

Before I knew that though, it was a bit of a pain. ;~;

Brittani

Pokefan for life!! (:
Years
I really liked the bug-catching contest but I think that the park could have been a bit more spacious. Also, it would have been nice if there were more bug pokemon and less safari balls. But I did really enjoy this part of the game when I was a child and I still do when I play it!

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
I really liked the original Bug Contest. It was fun and I won all the time.

I can't seem to win easily in HGSS though ._.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I liked how they added this to the National Park but I hated losing to that one punk kid who would catch a Metapod and win when I'd catch Scyther or Pinsir. It was still a cool way to add unique Pokemon early on in the game.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I almost always got a Scyther, and came either 1st or 2nd, 1st place guy ALWAYS had a Pinsir or something similar...

Treetwig

Banned for being awesome
Years
I rarely participate at Pokemon bug catching but I always come at 1st or 2nd place because those Pinsirs and scythers are always popping out the grass

Years
I liked it even if it was easier than the Safari Zone. Surely they could have provided a better 3rd prize than a Gold Berry though. I mean you get Super Potions before the 2nd gym and Gold Berry's are worse!

Years
I think the Bug Catching Contest/National Park was the best possible substitution for the Safari Zone possible. Sure, aside from Pinsir or Scyther the Pokemon weren't all that great, but getting prizes just for participating was worth it (although, I wish we could've gotten something other than a Sun Stone if we won- I must've had about 10 I never used).

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I really liked the old Contest, mainly because you were able to catch Scyther (one of my favourites of all bug Pokemon). I really like this thing and since it evolves into Scizor, it's even better.

Also winning with Scyther was pretty easy, as long as you catch one on Lv. 14 you were good to go. The prices were pretty good to, even though a little bit of variety would have been better.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I'd participate when I remembered about it, but I rarely ever won. If I could get a Scyther then it was good enough for me, but it always bothered me when 1st place won with something like a level 18 Caterpie.

Back