• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] The Pokemorph Stories (an ongoing Pokemon comic)

Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2013
(Trying this again since I now have the ability to post images.)

So, I have an ongoing comic called The Pokemorph Stories (you might have sussed that out from the topic title). I'd like to bring this comic to more people for them to enjoy as well, so I wanted to mention it here. The basic premise is that four friends find themselves turned into Pokemon in a Pokemon world (very similar to the Mystery Dungeon games). It talks about their new lives and the adventures they go on. Sometimes funny, sometimes dramatic, it's a story I think many people can enjoy.

The latest chapter being worked on is called Rescue, and you can see the cover page here:

Spoiler:

And here are a couple of sample pages from the comic that you might enjoy, to give you an idea of it.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

The pages are about 50-strong, so it would be VERY hard to post them all here, but I wanted to give some examples and offer that you check it out! I am told that I'm allowed to place gallery links in my signature, so I put it there. Hopefully I'm posting all of this correctly, so please point me in the right direction if not.

Thank you!

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Hi hi, it is I, the Pokemon comic lovin' guy. I'm always happy to see these here, because... I dunno. It's been a while.

Comics are hard to talk about unless it's your trade. Like, I'm certain if someone posted a gallery full of animations, the only person who'd actually have much to say would be me. :\ The thing about a comic is that it's not just drawing one picture, but it's drawing several, which requires a lot of drafting discipline, and I'm going to admit that I don't necessarily follow those rules as much as I really ought to (but then again, I aim more towards sunday funnies/4 panel gag comics these days). On top of that, you have to be a competent writer. Even if a person could look at a comic and think "oh, I like that" or "I don't like that", I almost feel like it's hard to describe why without being extremely generic and ultimately unhelpful.

I like what you have, but... I almost want to tell you to try pushing yourself some more. No, actually, I'm going to say it anyway. I want you to try to push yourself. Not for me, or for anyone else, but for your own satisfaction. Drawing comics is tiring and time consuming, so taking shortcuts always seems like a good idea. But unless you're going for a xeroxed panel effect (where a character literally has not moved, realistically speaking), I would redraw each character, and differently each time if possible. Try some different camera angles, such as behind the shoulder looking at the other character (this isn't what it's technically called, I actually have an animation layout/drafting guide that has the names of this stuff). Draw different poses, and at different angles. Essentially, try not to use a lot of stock poses, and find ways to keep your comic from being too flat.

Without any action in the visuals, even with just camera positioning, I think your eyes start to lose interest, especially if the characters aren't going into many different poses. Work on a model sheet if you must, and practice different viewpoints and expressions to keep things interesting.

I guess that's all I can think of. But trust me, once you do these things, I think you'll begin to love what you're doing even more. You'll find enjoyment just out of achieving things you never thought you could do before.

Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2013
Hi hi, it is I, the Pokemon comic lovin' guy. I'm always happy to see these here, because... I dunno. It's been a while.

Comics are hard to talk about unless it's your trade. Like, I'm certain if someone posted a gallery full of animations, the only person who'd actually have much to say would be me. :\ The thing about a comic is that it's not just drawing one picture, but it's drawing several, which requires a lot of drafting discipline, and I'm going to admit that I don't necessarily follow those rules as much as I really ought to (but then again, I aim more towards sunday funnies/4 panel gag comics these days). On top of that, you have to be a competent writer. Even if a person could look at a comic and think "oh, I like that" or "I don't like that", I almost feel like it's hard to describe why without being extremely generic and ultimately unhelpful.

I like what you have, but... I almost want to tell you to try pushing yourself some more. No, actually, I'm going to say it anyway. I want you to try to push yourself. Not for me, or for anyone else, but for your own satisfaction. Drawing comics is tiring and time consuming, so taking shortcuts always seems like a good idea. But unless you're going for a xeroxed panel effect (where a character literally has not moved, realistically speaking), I would redraw each character, and differently each time if possible. Try some different camera angles, such as behind the shoulder looking at the other character (this isn't what it's technically called, I actually have an animation layout/drafting guide that has the names of this stuff). Draw different poses, and at different angles. Essentially, try not to use a lot of stock poses, and find ways to keep your comic from being too flat.

Without any action in the visuals, even with just camera positioning, I think your eyes start to lose interest, especially if the characters aren't going into many different poses. Work on a model sheet if you must, and practice different viewpoints and expressions to keep things interesting.

I guess that's all I can think of. But trust me, once you do these things, I think you'll begin to love what you're doing even more. You'll find enjoyment just out of achieving things you never thought you could do before.

Thank you. I appreciate your comments.

Back