• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Sunfishy Fakedex

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
So, I am trying to create a FanGame, and are in debate whether to try either having pictures for my Fakes, or go traditional and try out pixels instead. If anyone's got anything to say, especially critically, I would love to hear it :D

Starters:
Spoiler:

First Route Staples:
Spoiler:

Fairly Early in-game:
Spoiler:

Random, One-Stagers:
Spoiler:

Late-Game Loungers:
Spoiler:

Also, I'm sorry if these look kinda bad, so here's a spider I hope you'll like

Spider, Rainbow Type. Lives in the corner of houses, and smiles all day.

And, umm, I'll try to update this occasionally. Or when I feel like it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
The starters are kinda messy, but the designs are nice!

Edit: That forth piece looks the best!

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
Thanks Joey :D
If you mean that the lines were weird, I ended up just leaving them as black solid lines now.

As per rules state, I removed the 4th piece, but added in 2 more Fakes.

Years
Is the spider complete? Because it doesn't really look like it for me, and it seems you haven't been putting a lot of thought into the design. Not sure what Rainbow-type is too.

The other sprites, however, are good. A lot of stuff can be done, but I think you're headed the right direction.

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
haha, the spider was a diversion >:D

but anyway, thanks for the comment! I'm trying to make at least some more before I update the OP. And is there any suggestions as to what I can do to make them better?

Years
I have no idea why I thought the Spider was real. I can never tell if people are serious these days. Jokes on you though, I'm going to edit it and make it look amazing.

What you could do is have smoother outlining, also the majority of the outline is black when it could be a darker base colour especially the first route staples. And sometimes the outline, like the fire starter, needs to have some more rounded edges especially the tail.

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
Finally, someone else that does this! Line shading is my least favorite part, so I procrastinate with it. :D

Procastination at its finest >:P

added in this bull/buffalo/bison

Bisnow, the "based on my brother!" pokemon

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
Tenki looks awesome! =P
Keep up the good work!

Thanks dude!
it's always nice to hear comments :D

I've went ahead and made 3 more:

This guy's wool is a bit iffy, but I'll touch it up later :P

An animal with an ironic typing!

Pinnochio as an alien/pokemon/thing

Keizaal

but innocence is gone
Years
I am super duperly sorry in advance if this sounds mean or anything like that.

Okay looking at the starters...

The designs are a little too plain, they need a little more oomph, but they are original. Your colour choice is good, but the red on the fire starter is really bothering me for some reason. The rest of this crit for the starters will be in this picture below so I can easily explain it. Apologies for any spelling mistakes in the picture, I just made it in Paint, which, unfortunately, doesn't have spell check.

Spoiler:

You don't have a problem with this (Outline dithering) on your other sprites, because you never finished the outline shading. It's best to showcase your sprites when they are 100% finished, or at least write "WIP" underneath so people won't mistaken it for a finished sprite.

Looking at your other Pokemon, the shading is good, the colours are also good! You Pinochio one looks more like a Plague Mask that doctors used to wear than a lying puppet, so maybe you can make it a Dark Type, by the looks of it? Your lines are still a bit shaky, but they have gotten better.

You're last update is a big improvement, and you really have some potential Just keep practicing, don't stop what you're doing, and you will get better! Everyone starts somewhere! You're Pokemon are very original and I'm excited to see more! C:My favorite would have to be a Pinocchio, it's a cool design and look like it's the most well-made.

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
Definitely liking that post :D
I have to admit that I'm horrible at shading, but that little tutorial you wrote is definitely great at explaining my flaws. I'll work on that "dithering" thing you mentioned. At first, I always thought that official sprites used dithering at the most random places, but that could have just been my imagination :P

And yeah, the starters are really crappy, and were literally my first attempts at spriting. I'll see if I can try to remake them later! I'll totally used that info you gave me to start on better shading!

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
After some thought, I tried revising my current fakes with better line shading, but ended up with a slightly better, but not perfect or even noteworthy, designs:

I'm actually really proud of thie one :P

This one was rather messy, or really dark

added line shading to this one

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
I really love the way this little fellow here looks. xD He reminds me of a plague witch doctor. I'm curious to see his (two?) evolution(s?).

I had no idea what a plague doctor looked like, but after I looked it up it seemd to fit with what I had planned for his evo to look like anyway :D

So here's Dufessor, a great guy that can calculate 10-digit multiplication, knows over 25 languages, and understands the plot in Inception.
His one flaw is that he still doesn't know how to talk to girls.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 17, 2016
Not bad!

First of all,the nose's shading can be better.
Don't put that black colours for something like eyes or whatever, I think it can work better with a dark grey, also, put a little anti aliasing in his eyes.
Hovewer, I think the fingers looks too much like human fingers.
One last thing, the shading is missing under his head.

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
Not bad!

First of all,the nose's shading can be better.
Don't put that black colours for something like eyes or whatever, I think it can work better with a dark grey, also, put a little anti aliasing in his eyes.
Hovewer, I think the fingers looks too much like human fingers.
One last thing, the shading is missing under his head.

Ah, gotcha on the nose. For some reason it's like I forget to do things, then I just end up posting it without realizing what I did wrong :D

The eyes are also supposed to be hollow, but I can see that using super-black is giving it a weird look. I'll touch it up with grey instead.

The hands are supposed to be more squared off at the ends of each finger, but pixeling it to look squared off is really hard since the workspace is so small. This is what it was supposed to look like:
Spoiler:

And thanks for the comments. They're a big help for a new guy like me :P

Years
These new sprites show amazing improvement. Keep it up. :D

I love the simple witch-doctor idea. It's just so clean and simple other than most complicated designs with the witch-doctor idea.

blackmoonflower

You won't like me if I'm angry
Years
Fixing up the smoothness on the shading of the nose/face and adding some AA to the eyes would definitely improve the look. However, I think the fingers are fine. I mean, look at Machop's evo line. They basically have humanoid hands. So it's not unheard of.

Back