• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

256/240 color Titlescreen (Firered)

stinger123

I wish to learn .!PKM HACKING!
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2010
I still haven't been able to get this tut to work. I'm starting to think that I did something wrong on the indexing step. Can someone clarify for me exactly what I am supposed to do in the "decrease color depth box"? Also, does it matter what bright color I edit the first color in the palette to? And what if that first color is NOT black like in the tut?

Thanks in advance.

Keep to the tutorial mate ;)
Ok on Ifranview goto image - decrease color depth- choose custom and put 239 in it and ok.
Goto image and palette(i think) then edit palette change the first color to a bright color, (he didn't say the first color was black! He said change the first color) like he said in the tutorial.
Then save under different name.
Copy and paste your UN INDEXED title screen and paste it on your indexed image and save it. (by the way Windows 7 paint doesn't support indexed files)
There you go, you have indexed your title screen :D
Hope it works :D

aSeRo141414

zZJoennZz inside
Years
[QUOTE="Black Charizard.]
Step 2 - Indexing the titlescreen image

Now we have to index the image you can do this by opening the image in irfanview.
Then go to the menu in irfanview.
Go to image -> decrease color depth
Then uncheck floyd dithering and set colors to 239.

Next while your still in irfanview go to image -> palette -> the edit palette.
edit the first color to a bright color by double clicking it.

ifranvieweditpal.png

Then go to image -> palette -> the export palette.
And save the palette.
Then save your image with a different name then your unindexed image. Next open the unindexed image and the indexed image in paint. Copy and paste the unindexed image on to the indexed image and hit save.[/QUOTE]

Follow that, it's in the tutorial.. :/

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
Keep to the tutorial mate
Ok on Ifranview goto image - decrease color depth- choose custom and put 239 in it and ok.
Goto image and palette(i think) then edit palette change the first color to a bright color, (he didn't say the first color was black! He said change the first color) like he said in the tutorial.
Then save under different name.
Copy and paste your UN INDEXED title screen and paste it on your indexed image and save it. (by the way Windows 7 paint doesn't support indexed files)
There you go, you have indexed your title screen
Hope it works

Thanks for the clarification. Turns out I was doing the indexing wrong. I didn't switch the setting to "custom" when I put in 239. I will try this tut again soon, hopefully with success this time!

stinger123

I wish to learn .!PKM HACKING!
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2010
Thanks for the clarification. Turns out I was doing the indexing wrong. I didn't switch the setting to "custom" when I put in 239. I will try this tut again soon, hopefully with success this time!

Your welcome ;)
Hopefully it will work for you now ;)

Years
Okay, I tried it again, and I'm almost sure I've done everything correctly. However, I get this 'flashing screen' just before the intro screen:
flashingscreen.png

I think it is the raw2011.raw, because in unLZ.gba it looks like this:
unlzgba.png

Does anyone else have this problem too, or is everything crisp clear with you guys (and girls ;) )?

Eario

Skip it..
Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2010
OKAY!
I'm having problems with "Step 4". When I have my rom in Unlz Advance thing, i put in thhe offset "00EAB8C4", i click import bitmap, select the titlescreen, but it sais "Bitmaps width needs to be mutliple of tiles width"...

Can you help me please, you might have already answered this, but I'm to lazy to search through 5 pages..

Can you possibly do this for me? And send me a Patcher or APS or UPS of whatever?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 20, 2017
OKAY!
I'm having problems with "Step 4". When I have my rom in Unlz Advance thing, i put in thhe offset "00EAB8C4", i click import bitmap, select the titlescreen, but it sais "Bitmaps width needs to be mutliple of tiles width"...

Can you help me please, you might have already answered this, but I'm to lazy to search through 5 pages..

Can you possibly do this for me? And send me a Patcher or APS or UPS of whatever?

It needs to be dividable by 8.

meaning the width and height need to be dividable by 8.
Everyone else with their issue read all steps over till you do it good.
As the steps described are perfectly the required steps.

aSeRo141414

zZJoennZz inside
Years
Okay, I tried it again, and I'm almost sure I've done everything correctly. However, I get this 'flashing screen' just before the intro screen:
flashingscreen.png

I think it is the raw2011.raw, because in unLZ.gba it looks like this:
unlzgba.png

Does anyone else have this problem too, or is everything crisp clear with you guys (and girls ;) )?

Try not load the raw in that, use the 1x1 in that thing, import the transparent in the tutorial files

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
Well, in trying to get this to work in Emerald, I found a couple things out.

The one before frontier pass f's it up (Around 2613)

Also a relevant one at 2615 or around it (I believe it's relevant, does the same thing as the last to the title screen)

Don't know if that'll help any, just trying to get this figured out so I can implement it.

Years
Try not load the raw in that, use the 1x1 in that thing, import the transparent in the tutorial files

Well, that partly fixed it. The grey stripes are gone, but some other pixels appeared. :( They are less disturbing, but I would still like to get rid of them. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance! :)

vba.png

EDIT: so I found a way to get rid of the pixels, that is by replacing one of the images (don't ask me which, either Charizard, or one of the two 'blurry' images) with a copie, but then blanked out with the transparent color (lila). And I also replaced the image after the blinking image (140), which are the flames, with a complete blue image of the same size. So the dots and pixels were gone for a great part, but some other blurry tiles appeared right there where the flames should be. I can post an image if someone wants to....

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 4, 2016
well..im stuck in step two... i edited my title screen in infraview... i export it in .pal format.. then i edited in the paint like what step two tells me... then i opened ape.. i loaded the offset but i dont have the adjusted pallete.. only edit>>change pallete>>import.. and i tried to import the pallet wich i save in .pal format.. it gets an error... where did i go wrong??? (singing) . .

and by the way.. i done all the things correctly... the costum 239... 16 colors... edit pallete and swap the color... what do i do now? by the way.. when i export the file from infarview... it saves.. then wen i try to open it.. it cannot be opend again by infarview.. i recieve a error msg i think.. maybe this is related why i cant open the palette with .pal format in ape

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2016
sorry but im noob and i want to ask something sir,
in unlz advance, what should i must import after loading the 00EAB8C4? thanks :D

aSeRo141414

zZJoennZz inside
Years
Well, that partly fixed it. The grey stripes are gone, but some other pixel appeared. :( They are less disturbing, but I would still like to get rid of them. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance! :)

vba.png

EDIT: so I found a way to get rid of the pixel, that is by replacing one of the images (don't ask me which, either Charizard, or one of the two 'blurry' images) with a copie, but then blanked out with the transparent color (lila). And I also replaced the image after the blinking image (140), which are the flames, with a complete blue image of the same size. So the dots and pixels were gone for a great part, but some other blurry tiles appeared right there where the flames should be. I can post an image if someone wants to....

Insert 1x1 in the other raw

I made already
Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO6J571nttU
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ6ZYHUsyZg

Last edited:

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
The last time I posted here was a couple of months ago...and today I finally got this tutorial to work. I gave up for a while but came back to it today and got it right. aSeRo141414, your videos were helpful in my success. Everyone who tried to help me, thank you. :D

Years
  • Seen Jun 24, 2023
Yay, finally there are so many possibilities with more colours. thanks =)

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
Nice tutorial but alas the one thing I was really hoping to see was away to edit the 16th indexed slot. I have spent hours in the DMI and trying to use asm to edit that slot. I was able to edit the last 4 pallets for that slot, but for some reason the game overrides the rest; This drives me crazy. :'c

Back