• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Essentials Tutorial] Elevators in Pokémon Essentials

Years
This isn't so much a tutorial as a "what I did to make this work" thread. I probably did it all wrong, but I'm open to people telling me how to make it better. I made it for a fan-game I'm making called Pokémon Ocean Blue (more details on that later), but I figured there might be more people out there who would be able to use this feature.

Before I began, I compiled a list of things I needed:
- 6 department store maps (1 for each floor).
- 1 map for the elevator interior.
- A game variable to keep track of which floor the player is on.

First, I added a new Game Variable called "Elevator_Floor" in slot [0007]. This is important, as I call for "$game_variables[0007]" in the following scripts.

Second, I added a new script section called Pokemon Elevator so I could easily refer back to the code. Within it, I added the following code:
Spoiler:

Basically, this code just displays a window indicating the current floor of the player.

Third, on each floor of the department store, I added events to transfer the player from the current map to the elevator map, but added a line:

Code:
@> Control Variables:[0007:Elevator_Floor] = X
*Where X is the floor number.

This way, the game keeps track of the current floor of the player.

Next, I added an event at the exit door of the Elevator map containing 6 pages - one for each floor. Under conditions, I listed the variable "[0007:Elevator_Floor] is X or above" where X is the floor number. So, on the first event page, it looks like "[0007:Elevator_Floor] is 1 or above", etc.
The actual commands are the exact same as normal map transfers, just the map the player is transferred to matches the event page. So, the first event page lists commands that transfers players to the first floor, etc.

Lastly, and most importantly, I implemented the panel that lets the player select which floor to travel to. It is a single-page event that looks like this:

Spoiler:

It's pretty self-explanatory, but basically, it starts the pbElevator script created earlier, then displays choices corresponding to the floors. The player selects an option and the game sets the Elevator_Floor variable to the corresponding number, shakes the screen, plays a chime, then removes the floor indicator using the pbHideElevator script from earlier.

There we go! The elevator is now fully-functioning and ready to transport you to a shopping destination of your choice.

-f42

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Dec 13, 2014
Where in RPG Maker XP is "Game Variables"? Everything else is very well written! ^^ Thank you for this!

Florio

Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
Years
This is honestly really simple, and I think most people should be able to figure this out on their own. Mine is almost the same, except it doesn't tell you which floor you are on. I also made it so mine tells you that you are already on that floor if you picked the one you are already on.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
There's an example of how to make a multi-floor elevator that comes with Essentials. It's in the Cedolan Department Store.

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Dec 13, 2014
There's an example of how to make a multi-floor elevator that comes with Essentials. It's in the Cedolan Department Store.
So I got the elevator script, but I'm a bit confused on how the "button panel" script works. I changed what floors the prompt offers, but I don't understand how to change where the elevator actually goes. I want "F2", "F1", and "B1", so I changed the script for what it says when triggered. How do I set it up so B1 actually goes to B1, and so on?

Back