• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Chit-Chat: EVAN PETERS HAVE MY BABIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
That movie had no substance. Rather like the fashion industry, but even if that was done on purpose it doesn't make the movie any better. Zoolander is a better movie about the ridiculousness of the fashion world.

If you thought that movie had no substance then you clearly didn't get it.

Years
If you thought that movie had no substance then you clearly didn't get it.
Whether there is anything in a work of art to "get" or not is entirely up to the audience, I believe. If they, the writers and directors and so, intended to have a message and I did not see one, or saw a jumbled one, then I can call that a failure on their part to reach me, an audience member. Or, like you said, I could see it as a failure on my part to be a receptive audience member, but I put most of the onus (maybe 80% or so) on them to make sure that the artist-audience connection gets made since they have control over what gets presented to me.

Oh, I sound like I'm writing a paper for one of my lit classes. Dx

Shining Raichu

Years
Scarf, you indeed can call that a failure on their part to reach you as an audience member. However if there is a man on a stage telling a clever story and oh, say, 76% of the people in the room get it, I wouldn't be so fast to assume that the failure is on his part or that his story is without substance.

I've never seen Zoolander so I can't comment with any degree of authority, but your gifs combined with a quick Google search which tells me that it stars Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson and *shudder* Will Ferrell say to me that the comedy is going to be derived mostly from people falling over, speaking in ridiculous accents and pulling funny faces. Definitely not my kind of movie lol

Vappy, that's awesome! I shall read it too and we shall compare notes XD

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I normally really don't like any of the three musketeers you mentioned above, Andrew, but they all play very different roles than what they're known for. And Will Ferrell is extremely marginalised in comparison to the roles he usually gets nowadays. Indeed, it's probably not what you're expecting it to be, given the pedigree of those involved. I'd definitely encourage you to check it out, especially if you care remotely about the fashion industry. Go in with an open mind and you might like it! :D

Years
Scarf, you indeed can call that a failure on their part to reach you as an audience member. However if there is a man on a stage telling a clever story and oh, say, 76% of the people in the room get it, I wouldn't be so fast to assume that the failure is on his part or that his story is without substance.
Again, I'd say there is not necessarily an "it" to "get" that some do and some don't, but whether the artist and audience connect over something. Even Twilight gets a near 50% on Rotten Tomatoes. 2 our of 4 compared to DWP's 3 out of 4.

I've never seen Zoolander so I can't comment with any degree of authority, but your gifs combined with a quick Google search which tells me that it stars Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson and *shudder* Will Ferrell say to me that the comedy is going to be derived mostly from people falling over, speaking in ridiculous accents and pulling funny faces. Definitely not my kind of movie lol
Zoolander is... well, it's a lot of what you said, but it goes to such a ridiculous place it comes out the other side as something amazingly entertaining. Plus it has some fantastic cameos.

You probably think I have awful taste in movies now. lol Oh, I'd love to see us try to arrange a Friday movie night.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
All this discussion about Zoolander makes me wish I'd seen it, lol. I know that movie is my 'thing', but I've never gotten around to it, much to my chagrin. But at least I know of one quote, though!
At the Derek Zoolander Center For Children Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too, we teach you that there's more to life than being really, really ridiculously good-looking.

Years
Time for a gasoline fight, everyone? y/n?

Anyway, I was Men In Black 3 yesterday. It was pretty good, though I'd say wait to see it on netflix or whatever you have. I liked the original MIB, and this was almost as good. I can't really compare it to MIB 2 because I can't even remember what happened in that movie.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I just picked up the Dororo omnibus from Waterstones, anyone here read this? looks pretty awesome.
I've been thinking about this for a while since my friend was talking about it and it sounded pretty interesting, but never got round to it... Very indifferent on the idea at the moment tbh :x Would you recommend it after having purchased it?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
Hmmm....long time since I posted here.....might as well pipe in seeing as I'm here.

Ano Natsu de Matteru
Onegai Teacher
Onegai Twins
Da Capo (All seasons)

R+V - Ah, my first and only true love.

Anyone think anime isn't how it was back in the day? Kind of a let down.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
Just adding this little tidbit of information to the chat:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maleficent#Live-action_film

800px-Angelina_Jolie_as_Maleficent.jpg

Angelina Jolie is playing Maleficent in an upcoming film about, well, Maleficent. Any thoughts? I don't know anything specific about the plot, but god, this has been in the back of my mind for a couple of years, so I'm excited.

Shining Raichu

Years
My first thought is 'who is Maleficent again?'
My second thought is "OH MY FREAKING GOD AN ANGELINA JOLIE MOVIE I COULD NOT BE MORE EXCITED"
My third thought is 'is there no costume or hairstyle in which Angelina does not look amazing?'

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
I can't say yet as Dororo was a random buy. Will comment when I read it in the coming weeks.

Trends have changed in anime but I don't think it's gotten worse. This currently airing season is proof of that, there area at least 6 or 7 good looking shows.

And as for the shows you mentioned, I didn't like Ano Natsu de Matteru and well R+V is R+V (it's better as an average fighting shounen than it ever was as a comedy/harem/whatever.....yeah I'm not counting it as a fighting shounen before as Moka transforming and kicking someone isn't really a fight)

Also I've loved some recent shows in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Tatami Galaxy and Nichijou. Anime is fine right now.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
I really don't think animes getting worse or anything, I just think since there is so much now it could be a bit harder to find the ones you like the a lot but theres definitely been some fantastic ones in the last 2 years.

FMA:B is fantastic I can not agree more on that.

Recently I've started watching angel beats and its a fairly new anime (I think) and I think it's great so far! Definitely worth watching.

Is anyone up on Soul Eater? I finished it on the weekend and enjoyed it but I hope they remake it like they did with FMA with the second installment following the manga more closely, so it may be a while away but I still think it'd be great if they did, what do you think about that possibility?

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
My main qualm is the current trend for making a 11 - 13 episode series with no closure. I know you can sometimes go and continue on with the manga but there are times you can't, very annoying.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
Haven't seen much of the new anime, just some PV's, so I admit, too harsh of a judgement on my part.

ANdM, is....pretty......well, it's okay. Not bad per say, but not good. Wavering around the middle.

Going to be starting the 'Shana' series, anyone have any input on how they liked it?

Also, anyone read Dogs Bullet and Carnage? (?)

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
Yeah it is a bit sad that they arent going past 20 episodes for a season anymore I miss the 24-25 episode seasons. More content is more better! (Haha.)
I wonder what the reason for this trend is though.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
It's odd, back in the 70s and 80s it was the normal thing for a series to run a for a year. It's gotten less and less ever since.

I guess it's down to less money being in the industry. People will pay stupidly high prices for 4 volumes of the same series but not 16.

As for Shana. I din't hate the first series, the second was boring and the 3rd was the worst anime I've completed. I did watch the first series years ago so I would probably not like it now. If you want a similar but better series, in my opinion you should go for index. Much more punching women in the face and Misaka is a much more bearable tsundere.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
Seen Index. And all related anime. About three times. Haha. I need a life. At least I'm volunteering at my local zoo now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back