• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Stock Animation

Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2014
While I don't mind seeing the same sequence more than once, it can get annoying if done too often. In the battles of BW, that's kinda the case. I just wish they'd cut down the attack sequences more so they don't come off as padding or hell, show the attack without some cheesy speedline-y background as it would in real time.

What are your thoughts?

Guest123_x1

I remember back in the Indigo days, Ash would turn his hat backwards as a battle was starting, a sequence which was reused ad nausea, especially when the battle about to be fought was going to be tough. As stated above, during battles also, they reuse the same backgrounds as the Pokémon are carrying out their attacks, which I'm sure they've been doing from the beginning. Just some techniques to keep each episode within budget, you know, although some repeated shots do eventually get old.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Pokemon has so many episodes that I'm just... used to the recycled animation, considering budgets. At the same time I like it in the movies when the attacks are animated in such a way where there's no close up, and no comic book backdrop, so it looks more real. I've always liked that, and I wish the normal anime would go with that too.

Years
Overuse of stock animation really does annoy me sometimes, especially when it's used so often I can easily tell... such is the case with Pikachu in B/W and Thunderbolt/Quick Attack. They seem to only have one stock animation to use; it was much better in the earlier series where they still had stock animations but more than just one for each move. :/

It bothers me because in one of the more recent episodes, they used the same Ash Tepig's Ember stock for someone else's Tepig. I mean, can't you be bothered to at least create another one since the original stock was only used for Ash's prior to that? Just seems extremely lazy and given how popular the franchise (and anime in particular) is, I'd expect at least more than one stock. v o v

Years
I was kinda disappointed how they're overusing stock animation. It's like they can't think up different animations for one's Pokemon's move. But I guess it's all cos of budgets and everything, hence the recycling.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I didn't like the use of repeated stock animation and I still don't. But I got used to it. I think if I had to choose between stock animation and the quality of the animation I would go with the quality. There is only so much that they can do with their budget that it can really only be one or the other.

But... i do wish that they could at least fix Snivy's Leaf Blade animation.

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2015
They must get sick of animating the same thing over and over again :D It does not really bother that much..

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I was just watching BW050- Satoshi's battle with Kamitsure- and the stock move animation really pulled me out of the moment. At the very end especially, when Pikachu took a full five seconds to do some twirls and whatnot before hitting Shibishirasu with Iron Tail. When Shibi was right next to Pika at the start of the move and finish. But also moving very quickly in a straight line. Do you get the picture? And Quick Attack is supposed to be quick- the buildup to it makes no sense! I'd prefer battles to be animated fairly logically and get all fancy for big hits and dramatic finishes.

So yeah. I don't mind stock animation when it's not going against all sense.

Last edited:
Back