• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I Am Newb & I Need Help!

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
Years
I am for my first time getting into real competitve battling. I have always played the pokemon games and done some wifi battling but I never used to Ev train or breed for perfect natures and iv's and so forth. Well now I plan on doing so. I have compiled a team and have been testing out on Pokemon Online Battle Simulator today and I would like some feedback. Would be interested in what you think my weakness is and anything I could change, Maybe tell me how to use my team a bit better because honestly with what I know all I did was pick pokemon that I like due to anime and looks. I then went on smogon and picked random sets and threw it all together and made a team. So help is appreciated. I will note that I don't plan on changing this pokemon since these are some of my favorite but I will listen to suggestions on change. If you suggest a change in pokemon I can't promise I will accept it due to the fact I pick my team off of looks and how much I love them. If you happen to suggest a pokemon that I like though I would change it. Please not that I refuse to change Torterra, Infernape or Empoleon though. Without further ado here's my team...

Name: Torterra
Level: 100
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Impish
Item: Leftovers
Evs: Hp 252/Attack 56/Defense 200
Moves:-Wood Hammer
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Synthesis

Name: Infernape
Ability: Iron Fist
Nature: Jolly
Item: Choice Band
Evs: Hp 4/Attack 252/Speed 252
Moves:-Flare Blitz
-Close Combat
-U-Turn
-Mach Punch

Name: Empoleon
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Modest
Item: Petaya Berry
Evs: Special Attack 252/Special Defense 4/ Speed 252
Moves:-Agility
-Substitute
-Hydropump
-Ice Beam

Name: Garachomp
Ability: Rough Skin
Nature: Jolly
Evs: Hp 4/Attack 252/Speed 252
Moves:-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Fang
-Dragon Claw

Name: Gallade
Ability: Justified
Nature: Adamant
Item: Life Orb
Evs: Attack 252/ Defense 4/Speed 252
Moves:-Sword Dance
-Close Combat
-Shadow Sneak
-Psycho Cut

Name: Metagross
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Adamant
Evs: Hp 164/Attack 252/Defense 92
Moves:-Meteor Mash
-Bullet Punch
-Hammer Arm
-Zen Headbutt

I am going to sleep but I will check back on this thread in 6-10 hours.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Nice FWG core you got there, though Torterra is going to have the hardest time in OU, given its huge Ice weakness. Just putting that out there.

While Gallade is my favorite Pokémon, it doesn't fare well in OU at all, mainly because Lucario can do what it does better. Since adding in Lucario would enhance your Ground weakness, I'll let this slide, and do some changes to its move set. Leaf Blade is redundant with Close Combat, as a 2x supereffective unSTABed Leaf Blade does as much damage as a neutral STAB Close Combat.:

Leaf Blade: 90 x 2 (supereffectiveness) = 180

Close Combat: 120 x 1.5 (STAB) = 180

I'd use Psycho Cut or Zen Headbutt as a secondary STAB for Gallade, or Ice Punch/Stone Edge to deal with Fliers.

Light Metal is a very useless ability on Metagross. Clear Body is vastly superior because it blocks random Intimidates and other secondary stat drops here and there.

Morgnarok

Years
What is FWG Core?

I am a little confused with all these big words and math. Which move you are saying for Gallade I should change? Leaf Blade or Close Combat?

I changed Metagross to Clear Body.

So, From what you said I am guessing my team is decent and can work together?
What I would like to know is how should I use the team. I am guessing that I always start with Torterra and put up Stealth Rocks. After that I am clueless.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
What is FWG Core?

I am a little confused with all these big words and math. Which move you are saying for Gallade I should change? Leaf Blade or Close Combat?

I changed Metagross to Clear Body.

So, From what you said I am guessing my team is decent and can work together?
What I would like to know is how should I use the team. I am guessing that I always start with Torterra and put up Stealth Rocks. After that I am clueless.

Fire/Water/Grass core. They cover their weaknesses pretty well, though in your case, both Infernape and Empoleon are weak to Ground.

Change Leaf Blade. Close Combat will be your go-to move here. STAB means Same Type Attack Bonus. When a Pokémon uses a move that's the same type as it has, that move's power increases by 50%. Let's say Gallade uses Close Combat. Close Combat's base power is 120, which is very powerful. Multiply that by 50% (1.5) and you get 180 power. That's strong.

Morgnarok

Years
So change Leaf Blade to Psycho Cut.

What about how I should play my team. Like I said Torterra always goes first for Stealth Rocks but after that I am clueless.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
So change Leaf Blade to Psycho Cut.

What about how I should play my team. Like I said Torterra always goes first for Stealth Rocks but after that I am clueless.

It all depends on what Pokémon your opponent has. If Torterra has an advantage against that Pokémon, stay in and attack. If Torterra is at a disadvantage, switch to something else that can take on that particular Pokémon more easily.

Back