• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen 2 Times the fun!

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
So what did you think about Kanto in HG/SS?
Was it fun?
Did it last as long as you'd expect?
What surprised you in Kanto?
Did you like Johto better?
What did you like/dislike about Kanto?
Important for 99.99% of these questions, is why? xD
or maybe Johto was what you disliked/liked? If so, you could answer the questions and replace Kanto with Johto.
Any other stuff?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I think it was great. I liked both regions to be honest, but Kanto did bring fresh scenery and epic battle music, so it was a welcome change. The only thing I'd say I didn't like, was that I found the Gym Leaders, and the trainers, waaaay too easy. I would have loved it if each trainer or perhaps Gym Leader, had their own little strategy. It would be much more fun/challenging imo.

Gideon Jeremiah

The giving Pokèmon breeder
Years
I greatly enjoyed the remake of Kanto.
It was wonderful strolling through those timeless vistas, while retaining the joy of Generation III & IV Pokèmon.

Was it fun?
That entire section of the game, was one massive euphoric experience for me.
Nostalgia & enjoyment, all wrapped in one.

Surprisingly so, I sunk nearly 45 hours into Kanto, during SS.

How much "Follow Me", made it feel like I was playing Yellow with my little Pikachu again.

I have always adored Johto, & in this specific case, I preferred Kanto.

The overall design was simply fantastic, & has no gaping flaws for me to speak of.

Or maybe Johto was what you disliked/liked? If so, you could answer the questions and replace Kanto with Johto.
Any other stuff?

Frankly, I have absolutely no negative things to say about any aspect of HG/SS, & certainly none about Kanto!
It & Johto were done amazingly well, & every play-through is a joy for me.
As always, I would recommend that anyone & everyone try these near-perfect remakes.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Kanto was an amazing addition to HG/SS, I loved listening to the music, exploring around and visiting memorable places. However the only complaint I would have is it was a tad bit short and the Gym Leader's all had Pokemon around the same level, so it didn't provide enough challenge for me, which was disappointing. I wished they would of made the Kanto Gym Leaders have Pokemon at different levels rather than all of them have their Pokemon approximately the same level :<

Years
I really liked the remake of Kanto, despite not being my fave region.

Was it fun?
Yes. The region brought all the nostalgia back to me.

It was surprisingly short for me. I didn't even do much other than the Gyms.

Walking with my Pokemon, just like what many experienced in the days of Yellow.

I liked Johto better in terms of designs, especially the Japanese-inspired Ecruteak City.

Like: The fact it is the only region to lack my worst enemy, long grass. Also it doesn't have many flaws in terms of gameplay.
Dislike: Well, nothing.

Or maybe Johto was what you disliked/liked? If so, you could answer the questions and replace Kanto with Johto.
Any other stuff?

Again, Johto didn't have many flaws. HG/SS are must-plays because they capture the true nostalgic feeling of G/S/C. I really recommend it.

Years
  • Seen Jan 31, 2013

I thought it was pretty cool actually, improved graphics/music is always a nice touch :D

Was it fun?

It was okay, I wouldn't say it was my favorite section, tbh ever since GSC Kanto has always felt like one giant grind to beat Red, JMO tho.

Its pretty much how I remembered it from GSC, so I'd say no? (but not in a negative way)

Pretty much what the above posters had said - walking around with my Pokemon reminded me a lot of yellow, they should've had it in Gen V also and it doesn't look like it'll return form Gen VI, which is a shame :(. Seeing the region with improved graphics was also a nice surprise.

I have always preferred Johto over Kanto anyway, so yes :P

Just the improved graphics tbh. I'd say that the battles could've been more of a challenge though and perhaps a bit more story could've been added for the Kanto half.

Any other stuff?

As much as I like Kanto, I was never that much of a fan of that section in GSC anyway, I think purely because it lacks a strong story arch - its just pretty much explore, get the other 8 badges and grind for Red, aesthetically though I can't fault it. The game itself is one of my favorites anyway, esp with the changes to the story-line :D

Years
It was about what I expected from it after playing the originals- except with the added returns of Cerulean Cave, Viridian Forest and Seafoam Islands, plus the Pal Park where the old Safari Zone used to be (still wish they would have fleshed out Mt. Moon like they did other areas, but I'm not complaining).

Was it fun?
To a degree, yes. However, after 4 straight generations featuring Kanto, is did start to get a little boring.

It lasted a little longer than I remember it from playing Gold, so I guess that's a bonus.

Like previously stated, the return of areas like Viridian Forest and Cerulean Cave. I was expecting them to be missing/shortened much like their Gen II forms, so I was gladly surprised they came back the way they should've been in the first place (although, I know cartridge memory has vastly improved since then).

Aesthetically I didn't prefer one or the other, but with the Battle Frontier, National Park and Mt. Silver located in Johto, I did spend much more of my time there.

I can't iterate enough how happy I was that they didn't skimp out with some areas like they did in G/S/C. However, there's only so much you can do the region without overhauling it, so it did grow a bit stale on me.

Any other stuff?

Obviously I would've been disappointed if Kanto didn't make a return, too, but seeing it as often as we have made me bored of the area. The lack of any real story didn't help much either, because aside from collecting the Kanto Gym badges, there wasn't much point of visiting Kanto in the first place.

Back