• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Issue: Transgender/Genderqueer don't display properly on postbit for guests

Years
Would I be a total bigot for saying that I think it's fine just letting transgender people pick the gender that they identify with? I mean, someone who is MtF for example... is female as far as any of us are concerned. :/
No, that's actually a pretty keen and sensitive understanding. It only potentially leaves out people who are intersex, genderqueer, or otherwise don't identify as either female or male. And then, there may be people who primarily identify as a trans person instead of being just male or female. It's a difficult issue and, understandably, can be very personal for people. Of course, this is an issue that goes way beyond this forum so I wouldn't personally be too disappointed if we weren't on the very cutting edge.

Why just not have another option for other? That way it can include those who are not sure yet what they are and those who are hermaphrodites. Sorted!
Hermaphrodites don't technically exist in humans. A better term is intersex.

Edit: it also doesn't seem to display in some of the skins. Actually, not any of the skins I've tried so far. And some don't even display the "Gender" area at all.

Last edited:

WillPowerPedro

https://soundcloud.com/cammdavidson
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 9, 2022
cant you just say agendered? i mean if you are transgendered then you would use any of the three depended on what you identify yourself as. i want a third option but some people might have a problem.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I feel like agendered people already have an option to put. They don't identify with a gender, so they can leave that blank since that's a great way to say "Hey, I'm not male or female."

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
Years
Didn't read the entire thread, so sorry if I repeat anyone, but I don't even understand why there's a transgender option?

Like, legit it was slightly offending when I saw it. xD;

Transgender people fight so hard to be recognized as either male or female, so why would you go with "transgender", that's contradictory. Agender is much the same, there's a blank gender option for that.

droomph

weeb
Years
Didn't read the entire thread, so sorry if I repeat anyone, but I don't even understand why there's a transgender option?

Transgender people fight so hard to be recognized as either male or female, so why would you go with "transgender", that's contradictory. Agender is much the same, there's a blank gender option for that.

Well, there was that troll

and we failed

so hard

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=305538

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024

This is how I thought some transgendered people would feel about something like this.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I kind of can't believe this thread is still open since it was only about fixing the post bit and it turned into debating how we should recognize transgendered and genderqueer people on PC. Either leave the new options or change it back to how it was imo. I don't understand why there's so much hubba about this.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
It was a template edit with an if condition based on what you select to be shown in your User CP. Because of that, and the fact that guests don't have an account to select what's shown in their postbit, it is hidden.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Yet none of the other postbit elements with options are hidden for guests. Am I missing something?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Hm. I'm willing to bet it's just an oversight in the templates. Whoever edited it so that guests can see everything more than likely forgot to do the same for post count. I don't think it was a conscious decision.

Songbird

Tonight, the marigolds bloom for her.
Years
  • Seen Mar 19, 2024
I'm using Let's Fly Together and I can't even see my own choice. I picked Genderqueer, and nothing shows up in the gender field.

I can see it just fine on the same theme.

Are you sure it isn't disabled in your Options page?

Sirfetch’d

I'm using Let's Fly Together and I can't even see my own choice. I picked Genderqueer, and nothing shows up in the gender field.

I'm using the Johto Elite and your's shows up blank as well. It only says Gender:

Back