• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever quit Pokemon?

Guest123_x1

In early 2006, I had almost entirely quit Pokémon, turning in all my games, and getting rid of much of my Pokémon merchandise, primarily because I felt there was something "evil" about it, and I also thought I was getting too old for that sort of thing.
However, in recent times, I have been looking back at my memories of when I was really into the franchise, and have been playing the first two generations' games via emulators, particularly since I've been going through some personal issues IRL.

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
Years
I never really quit explicitly, but around halfway the third gen, I sort of started slipping away from the episodes, and I hardly played the newer games. I wasn't really acquainted with the fandom any longer and hardly even knew the names of any of the third gen pokémon. I guess it happened when my time was occupied with school, because at the time, I entered high school, but even before that, in my last two years of primary -- just after I moved to Tilburg -- I started getting out of touch with pokémon. I guess most of my classmates got me discouraged from watching and playing pokémon because I was teased about it. They found me infantile for liking it and I was sort of proselytised to act more like them, like one of those "gangsta" 11 year olds, if you get the drift. To be honest, I never really liked that school, and they even tried to convince me to go to a much lower quality high school afterwards because it would be more "fun" there. That's when I decided to hell with them, and I turned my back on my class.

That's to give you the backstory of why my love for pokémon began to fade. Kind of like a poor kid who was missing an identity, I am pretty sure I've been a Yoshi fanboy, then I went through a period I was obsessed with moose (don't ask), then one insuspicious afternoon, I was surfing the web, and I am not sure what the heck I searched for, but for some reason, a blue jackal showed up on my screen in one of the results, and it piqued my interest so much that I wanted to know what it was from. I wasn't really sure. It could have been a digimon, it could have been from some obscure but probably awesome cartoon I didn't know about. I eventually got a hunch that it was a pokémon, and sure enough, when I searched all over bulbapedia I found that blue jackal named Lucario again, and I re-discovered pokémon.

My absence has still left a big gap for me. A big chunk of the third generation, and almost all of the fourth generation anime is just a big question mark for me. I rarely even watch fifth generation because of how bad I think it is, but the games, that's where I am back, that and the roleplaying. I've sort of gotten to that point where I think the fan-created content has become more interesting than the actual franchise, but forget pokémon I will never again.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
I did for a while. From about when I was 8-9 to when I was like 13/. I got back into and just hated all that I had missed.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
I never really quit explicitly, but around halfway the third gen, I sort of started slipping away from the episodes, and I hardly played the newer games. I wasn't really acquainted with the fandom any longer and hardly even knew the names of any of the third gen pokémon. I guess it happened when my time was occupied with school, because at the time, I entered high school, but even before that, in my last two years of primary -- just after I moved to Tilburg -- I started getting out of touch with pokémon. I guess most of my classmates got me discouraged from watching and playing pokémon because I was teased about it. They found me infantile for liking it and I was sort of proselytised to act more like them, like one of those "gangsta" 11 year olds, if you get the drift. To be honest, I never really liked that school, and they even tried to convince me to go to a much lower quality high school afterwards because it would be more "fun" there. That's when I decided to hell with them, and I turned my back on my class.

That's to give you the backstory of why my love for pokémon began to fade. Kind of like a poor kid who was missing an identity, I am pretty sure I've been a Yoshi fanboy, then I went through a period I was obsessed with moose (don't ask), then one insuspicious afternoon, I was surfing the web, and I am not sure what the heck I searched for, but for some reason, a blue jackal showed up on my screen in one of the results, and it piqued my interest so much that I wanted to know what it was from. I wasn't really sure. It could have been a digimon, it could have been from some obscure but probably awesome cartoon I didn't know about. I eventually got a hunch that it was a pokémon, and sure enough, when I searched all over bulbapedia I found that blue jackal named Lucario again, and I re-discovered pokémon.

My absence has still left a big gap for me. A big chunk of the third generation, and almost all of the fourth generation anime is just a big question mark for me. I rarely even watch fifth generation because of how bad I think it is, but the games, that's where I am back, that and the roleplaying. I've sort of gotten to that point where I think the fan-created content has become more interesting than the actual franchise, but forget pokémon I will never again.

I am really touched by your story. I'm glad you rediscovered Pokémon. Who cares what age we end up to be, Pokémon is one of those things that'll be close to our hearts forever. I have been called alot of bad things and seen as childish for my love of Pokémon but I don't care, they don't know how important the memories and everything about it mean to me.

Back